Beer Chang Faces Stiff Competition Next Year

george

Another littel factoid that some seem to have missed in the discussion on Budweiser is that Belgian brewer InBev acquired Anheuser-Busch in 2008. The deal created the world's biggest brewer, bringing brand names including Budweiser, Michelob, Stella Artois, and Bass under one owner.

In today’s globalized business world, there is no nationalism in brands any longer.

TH

Sorry, I think it's a far shot off, good beer is good beer, no matter where it is brewed, it's a matter of taste and preferences!

And being german by birth I am very fond (not proud!) of "Deutsche Reinheitsgebot" (Purity Order) from 1516 which states that "Bier" should only be made of Malt, hops and water!

Shame that the Membership in the EU will "water" this "Gebot" which is not a law, but a moral imperative, down to all sorts of Enzyme Productions and beverages

which are similiar to Beer or Ale.... specially worrying are then allowed additives and pother processes than the normal method of fermentation trough beer yeast's.

Or points the demand for a good roast, steak, burger, pasta, pizza or a drinkable wine also to "nationalism"? :)

it's like the stuff from some chain outlets is called "Pizza"...

nothing to do with the original product, same with some beverages called "Beer"!

Edited by Samuian

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have being toying with the idea of setting up a brewery for sometime on koh samui.

An old friend of mine Paul theakston (late theakston brewery masham n. yorks uk now black sheep brewery) Is willing to share his brewing receipes with me.

Maybe i will do it one day, The biggest problem is the water it's just not the same in Thailand.

But nothing wrong with beer chang

this idea has been around since the days of good Mr. "Chang" (Sanphet) and has been toyed by many since...

I think the problem is the venue...sufficient customer numbers all year round... the set up investment and

the "authorities" granting mercy....

I have being toying with the idea of setting up a brewery for sometime on koh samui.

An old friend of mine Paul theakston (late theakston brewery masham n. yorks uk now black sheep brewery) Is willing to share his brewing receipes with me.

Maybe i will do it one day, The biggest problem is the water it's just not the same in Thailand.

But nothing wrong with beer chang

this idea has been around since the days of good Mr. "Chang" (Sanphet) and has been toyed by many since...

I think the problem is the venue...sufficient customer numbers all year round... the set up investment and

the "authorities" granting mercy....

Yes that is true, and the reason i have not acted on the idea as yet.

There has to be a catch. Thai beer cannot possibly compete against any beer in the world on a level playing field.Beer Lao ,on its own ,would wipe out the local market. Australia is the only farang country in ASEAN and they have all the good beers we need . CUB (Fosters) Company brands... VB, Melb Bitter,Carlton,Crown Lager ...... No import duties?????? 45 baht small bottle in 7/11 It wont happen.

Crickey ! .. how many more times does it have to be mentioned in this thread that Australia is NOT a part of ASEAN. There are only 10 countries in it .. and Oz is not one of them. It should be ("Australasia" and all that) .. but apparently our eyes are not slanty enough.

Anyway .. the tariffs on Oz booze will be scrapped over the next 2 years (2010 and 2012) .. saving you a lousy 5% !

Dig a few more coins out of your pocket and buy the stuff now if you want it for God's sake.

Another littel factoid that some seem to have missed in the discussion on Budweiser is that Belgian brewer InBev acquired Anheuser-Busch in 2008. The deal created the world's biggest brewer, bringing brand names including Budweiser, Michelob, Stella Artois, and Bass under one owner.

In today's globalized business world, there is no nationalism in brands any longer.

TH

That information is correct (In fact it was already a Belgian-Brazilian group.), but it is no guarantee for quality.

In today’s globalized business world, there is no nationalism in brands any longer.

TH

Sorry, I think it's a far shot off, good beer is good beer, no matter where it is brewed, it's a matter of taste and preferences!

And being german by birth I am very fond (not proud!) of "Deutsche Reinheitsgebot" (Purity Order) from 1516 which states that "Bier" should only be made of Malt, hops and water!

Shame that the Membership in the EU will "water" this "Gebot" which is not a law, but a moral imperative, down to all sorts of Enzyme Productions and beverages

which are similiar to Beer or Ale.... specially worrying are then allowed additives and pother processes than the normal method of fermentation trough beer yeast's.

Or points the demand for a good roast, steak, burger, pasta, pizza or a drinkable wine also to "nationalism"? :)

nothing to do with the original product, same with some beverages called "Beer"!

Agree, but IMHO yeast (German: Hefe) or some wild culture is the fourth and necessary ingredient to start the fermentation process.

Carlsberg? :)

owwww, that could mean payback time!!!

is that why Chang Sponsors Everton because Carlsberg Sponsor Liverpool Still having Thai Beer Spats in the EPL

They sponsor Everton because they wanted to advertise live in Thailand. Nothing to do with Carlsberg.

TH

Agree, but IMHO yeast (German: Hefe) or some wild culture is the fourth and necessary ingredient to start the fermentation process.

Federbrau is the only beer in Thailand made according to the Deutsche Reinheitsgebot and certified by Germans.

quote name='swain' post='3135428' date='2009-11-12 08:18:15']Budweiser (Anheuser-Busch) coming to Thailand.... India or Malaysia brews it locally ... cant remember which...

Fact:These US micro brews rival or exceed any beer in the world in terms of quality, flavor, strength, and alcohol content. Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ale is around 12%. :) And they are made with all-natural ingredients. Maybe you like formaldehyde in your beer. I don't. :D

That hoary old myth should be put to rest about Thai beers:

The Journal of the Institute of Brewing has a good paper on formaldeyde in beer : Institute Paper

Read also myths and legends about formaldehyde in beer, especially Singha in this article: Myths and Legends

Chinese beers were believed to include formaldehyde (cheers to whoever said he wants Tsingtao) but don't worry, the content is very low!

"People’s Daily Online" reported in 2005: Chinese brewery giant Tsingtao has confirmed the safety of its product, saying the per-liter formaldehyde content of its product is much lower than the standard set by the World Heath Organization (WHO). The Tsingtao Brewery Co., Ltd. made the remarks in a statement it issued Friday in response to earlier domestic media reports putting Tsingtao beer’s formaldehyde content under suspicion. China’s State Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine (SAQSIQ) also said that Chinese beer, including big-name Tsingtao beer, is safe to drink.

As for those who like Corona, there was a US myth that Mexican workers urinated into the tanks of the beer destined for the USA, but this was later traced to a rumour spread by a local Heineken distributor. It is true however, that due to the transparency of the bottle, the amount of UV let into the beer is much higher than the brown bottles used by Thai beer companies. Green is only slightly better than transparent, but still means the content will go "off" a bit faster.

As for US beer, I think John Cleese said it best in his letter renouncing American independence: "The cold tasteless stuff you call beer is actually lager. Only proper British Bitter will be referred to as "beer." Substances once known as "American Beer" will henceforth be referred to as "Near-Frozen Gnat's Urine," except for the product of the American Budweiser company which will be called "Weak Near-Frozen Gnat's Urine." This will allow true Budweiser (as manufactured for the last 1000 years in Pilsen, Czech Republic) to be sold without risk of confusion." :D

Fantastic news. Will finally be able to drink something other than Leo/Tiger/Singha.

Not drunk the Chang for years since I missed the opportunity to go skinny dipping with a Norwegian lass , spending the night puking under a bungalow instead. I think she was hot, but I did have an acute case of the Chang goggles affecting my every living sense. In reflection its highly possible the Chang saved me from waking up next to a Norse kateoy or something. Either way, the puking bit was rubbish so the Chang had to go.

Sorry for straying there. I for one will celebrate Foreign imports at normal prices with a dedication hithero unseen here in the north, starting with a celebratory case of Beer Laos. Fingers crossed Newcastle Brown is made in Singapore or something and that too comes under this free trade agreement.

The Thai beer industry will certainly be losing my little contribution to their coffers and I suspect I'm not the only one.

In today's globalized business world, there is no nationalism in brands any longer.

TH

That information is correct (In fact it was already a Belgian-Brazilian group.), but it is no guarantee for quality.

That's right....Inbev (formerly Interbrew) has bought Bhrama ( not sure about the spelling ! ) for many years already.

I also think they bought some big Canadien brewery and Castle from South-Africa ?

Instead of a marketing campain, maybe make the beer better.

Thai companies do not like competition.

Are there many European beer manufacturers with breweries in Malay or Singapore which would then sell their beer here?

Competition! :D WHAT! Competition from FOREIGNERS! :D OMG Sorry Thailand is :) ! No can't do that! Now here's an expression I regularly hear "NO CAN NOT!!!" Mai dai!!!

Australia is the only farang country in ASEAN and they have all the good beers we need.
:D
Thai beer allegedly contains dubious preservatives (eg formaldehyde) to help keep it in non-refrigerated conditions up country.

Bit of an urban myth that one.

God help us. Australian lagers are amongst the worst in the world, up there with those mainstream US brands..just bubbly brown water. Is NZ an ASEAN member? If so Macs is a fantastic light lager.

Agreed. Spent a long time going through them all and it was not a nice experience, apart from Carlton which wasn't bad. But VB gut rot, Tooeys tasteless, and as for Fosters, Castlemaine etc, <deleted> a doodle do. :)

So you will pay 27baht instead of 35 baht for a tiger beer in 7/11. Who cares hardly life changing is it.

Spoken like a true non-beer drinker.

Federbrau is the only beer in Thailand made according to the Deutsche Reinheitsgebot and certified by Germans.

... and it's still crap.

TH

Sure, one may argue about it being an "ingredient", however, it is only since the the 1800's.. some time, that specifically cultivated, controlled yeast's been added to the wort, before then, it was the "wild fermenting" process, facilitating "wild yeasts" and bacteria occurring naturally in the environment, which of course increases the risk of spoilage, possible that is why hops have been added, as lambic brewers (Belgium) of today still use far greater amount of hops then "ordinary" breweries!

So you will pay 27baht instead of 35 baht for a tiger beer in 7/11. Who cares hardly life changing is it.

Spoken like a true non-beer drinker.

... and it's still crap.

Agreed, but this concerns it's taste only, nothing to do with the "purity order"

And in reference to hanimals post quoting "John Cleese saying: "This will allow true Budweiser (as manufactured for the last 1000 years in Pilsen, Czech Republic)"

is wrong, Budweiser (the Original) is brewed in Budvar(Budějovický)/Cech.!

The original Budweiser Bier or Budweiser Bürgerbräu, was founded in 1785 in Budweis, Bohemia, which at the time was part of the Holy Roman Empire. The company began exporting to the US in 1871.[2][3] In the U.S., Anheuser-Busch started using the Budweiser brand in 1876 and registered it two years later.

A second company (now named Budvar, the Czech name for the city) was established in 1895 by mainly Czech brewers, which also started exporting beer under the name Budweiser (being the German way of referring to something from the city such as a beer, while "Budějovický" would be the same name in Czech). By this time, the area that is the present-day Czech Republic was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. These exports into the US market led to the Budweiser trademark dispute. Negotiations between the three companies, the two from the original town and the American Anheuser-Busch, about using "Budweiser" reached an agreement in 1911 that allowed Anheuser-Busch to use the brand "Budweiser" only in North America.[4]

-wiki-

Finally, some GOOD NEWS! Make mine a Beer Laos, thanks, currently only available in some bars (not that I mind bars, but would like to see it in Carrefour)!

Of the current local product I find Leo and Archa drinkable, as opposed to their respective companies' flagship brands Singha and Chang which are both supremely awful. Variety is the spice of life! :D

PS- Bring back Mittweida!!!!!

I am a beer drinker since the craddle. I am from the country where the best and the most variety of beers in the world are brewn. My taste of beer has never cheated me...

I therefore feel happy that finally some "beer" (worth the name "BEER") will come in and that is for sure not Heineken (= not beer, = chemistry), Tiger, almost all American beers like Corona and Budweiser, and to a lessor extent Thai beers (e.g. more than 4 months old Singha, Boonrawd's Mittweida spectaculair failure, and to a certain degree Chang which I still consider the best of the [bad] Thai beers, but not Kloster which was a very fine beer).

Next door's Beer Lao is worth an award (and they got one from Australia), as well as Angkor (NOT Anchor) from Cambodia, Beer Halida, Saigon, Hanoi from Vietnam and the Phillipine beer San Miguel.

Does that mean that we will now have "better beer" for "cheaper price"? Stella is coming in... Drink it draft! You will enjoy it!!! :D:):D

This might open up the market for Carlsberg again (brewed in Hong Kong, and even better that the Danish brew) or Stella Artois (Brewed in Malaysia, and honestly the best draught lager on the Thai market at this point in time). Prices of Stouts like Guinnes and Kilkennys should go down, as they are being brewed in Malaysia and are simply better quality here in Asia, compared even with a pint bought in Dublin.

The Beer Lao brewery outside Vientiane in Laos also brew Carlsberg locally, and it tastes great.

Are there many European beer manufacturers with breweries in Malay or Singapore which would then sell their beer here?

Guinness is brewed in Malaysia. will this be cheaper to buy then ????

Guinness is brewed in Malaysia. will this be cheaper to buy then ????

I hope so. the rule should apply to all asean countries. Malaysian Guiness is excellent.

• 2 weeks later...
Stella is coming in... Drink it draft! You will enjoy it!!! :D:):D

No ta, I've been to Belgium. Wieze was drinkable.

Now in Munich Augustiner is popular.

Beer Lao proclaimed as Asia’s best beer by TIME magazine and hailed as the Dom Perignon of Asian beers by The Bangkok Post has finally arrived on British shores.

May be of interest to my non-expat compatriots :Dhttp://www.beerlao.co.uk/front.shtml