Urgent Request For O+ Blood Donors

mike1963

URGENT REQUEST FOR BLOOD TYPE O+

A very sick little girl is patient at the RAMATHIBODI hospital which is near to the Victory monument. She need blood O+, which is very rare in Thailand.

Blood donors can donate between the hours of 8.00 am and 4.00 pm.

Blood group O+

here is a link to the hospital: http://www.ra.mahidol.ac.th/, she is in ICU awaiting a liver transplant procedure.

Sadly today she took another turn for the worse and she is now having 12 hourly blood transfusions and the hospital desperately need more blood.

If you are blood group O+ and you are in Bangkok and you would like to help this very sick child by donating blood or you know a friend/relative or contact who is O+ and would be willing to be a donor please send me a pm asap or visit the blood center at Mahidol during the hours shown above.

Many thanks

Mike

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am O positive and would like to go donate. Does anyone know where do I go and if they speak English at the hospital as I do not speak their language at all. Please direct me...And also do I need to know the patients name...more info please..

Thanks....

I am O positive and would like to go donate. Does anyone know where do I go and if they speak English at the hospital as I do not speak their language at all. Please direct me...And also do I need to know the patients name...more info please..

Thanks....

Yes they speak [basic] English, they are aware of the patients name. Open from 8am tomorrow Sunday.

Thanks!

Thanks....

PM the OP

Ok...Thanks!

O+? could they mean O-?

O+ is the most common blood type in thailand and just about everywhere else in the world.

The requested blood type is O+ (O positive)

George kindly edited my op and included some more info.

If you intend to donate please send me a pm as per my OP, gfor patient details.

As an adjunct the hospital are by all accounts in need of blood in general, a child sadly died on the same ward a few nights ago due to a shortage of O- (O NEGATIVE) so even if you are not in same blood group as my freind's little girl donations are desperately sought after.

The nearest train station to the hospital is VICTORY MONUMENT BTS and is apparently a short bus ride/tax ride from there.

On behalf of the parents, thank you all for your help.

Mike

I am O neg and happy to donate. There seems to be some confusion about whether O neg will help though. I think it also depends if it is plasma or platets that are needed or whole blood etc. If O neg will do then get Thai Visa to issue another SMS message to this effect.

My donor card has got "O Rh+" on it. Will that work?

Yes!

Goodo. Will be there tomorrow morning.

Obviously if O+ is the most common blood type in Thailand, and there's none at the hospital, either the hospital is incompetent or Thais don't donate blood due to some superstition

My donor card has got "O Rh+" on it. Will that work?

Yes!

Goodo. Will be there tomorrow morning.

I am o-. but I live in Songkhla. I would gladly travel to had yai to one of the hospitals anytime to donate blood if I knew I could help someone. If someone needs O- and can make the arangements for it to transit to BKK PM me. I will do it.

When I was in high school the blood donor bus would turn up at school every so often, and everyone - well most people - would pile in there and give blood. These busses would go to large companies, shopping centers etc, and if you had a very rare blood type they could get hold of you in an emergence. Everything on a voluntary basis.

Bangkok and other areas in Thailand has large numbers of foreigners. Schools, universities, companies etc, so why doesn't anyone organize this?

Obviously there is an even bigger need for the most common types of blood in any country, but as the O+ seems to be more or less universally the most common type it should also dominate in types donated.

I am O+ but reside in Chiang Mai. Are there any hospitals here in Chiang Mai that I can donate to that can forward my blood draw to Bangkok for her? I am happy to help, besides a good sugar cookie is wonderful after donating blood to help bounce one back.

O- folks, please donate blood often wherever you are! you are universal donors, so anyone of any blood type can take your blood if their blood type is not available.

Yes, our best hope being type O negative is that others will be there for us when we need it.

Scarce as hens teeth here in Thailand we are.

Do your duty and put your faith in Karma and other falang who are like-minded.

~WISteve

O+? could they mean O-?

O+ is the most common blood type in thailand and just about everywhere else in the world.

Indeed: http://www.bloodbook.com/world-abo.html

That's a very interesting link and has a ring of truth about it. Why should blood types be able to be separated into just a few distinct variations? There's obviously some approximation going on here considering the wide variation in human race mixes and physical attributes.