Another Mudslide

chiang mai

That was a huge amount of rain that fell this afternoon, our roof drains could barely cope. Regrettably the rain has washed away much of the protective concrete cover that was put in place to protect the ground behind Beverley Hills (Nanai/Soi 9) following that huge mudslide two years ago. Gone are all the trees, plants, ground cover and soil and it looks like another major construction job could be in the works, serious sympathies to owners and residents alike who are only just recovering from the previous catastrophe.

Any structural damage ? Did the foundations get exposed again ? Any photos ..

It appears the structure is intact but the "flower arrangements" have been seriously disturbed. If you survey the scene from the next soi across the gully it looks like construction integrity remains intact, but if you look over the balcony from this side, things appear dire. Will have to wait and see what the engineers say.

I now count three spots in Patong where there are semi-permanent waterways crossing roads: on Nanai in front of the Family Mart; at the back end of Soi Sans Sabai and near Simon Cabaret. (not to mention the sinkhole on Patong Hill Road) Does anyone know of any others?

It amazes me that the municipality not only allows but actually encourages this type of thing with its ridiculous policies (new encroachment trail to Chalong, tunnel, lift the 80-meter limit)...

Does anyone know of any others?
What about the new road behind Jungceylon near the bridge at the hospital? After a heavy downpour it is hard to guess where the road might be in this lake. At the other end near Baan Tonsai, yesterday afternoon the road was flooded, too. Another one is Nanai Road at the entry to Soi Banzaan, but that's an easy one. Two pictures from Nanai attached...

post-693-1258341181_thumb.jpg

post-693-1258341202_thumb.jpg

I now count three spots in Patong where there are semi-permanent waterways crossing roads: on Nanai in front of the Family Mart; at the back end of Soi Sans Sabai and near Simon Cabaret. (not to mention the sinkhole on Patong Hill Road) Does anyone know of any others?

It amazes me that the municipality not only allows but actually encourages this type of thing with its ridiculous policies (new encroachment trail to Chalong, tunnel, lift the 80-meter limit)...

The story on Nanai outside the Family Mart is a totally different story. It seems the Tessa Bahn rerouted a drainage pipe across a Thai gentleman's property without his permission so he has shut off the supply where it reaches his property. The net effect is that the road floods outside the Family Mart and adjacent to the estate. Said Tessa Bahn has apparently offered money which has been rejected, stay tuned. All sounds reminiscent of the incident in Rawaii where the road was widened without permission!.

The story on Nanai outside the Family Mart is a totally different story. It seems the Tessa Bahn rerouted a drainage pipe across a Thai gentleman's property without his permission so he has shut off the supply where it reaches his property. The net effect is that the road floods outside the Family Mart and adjacent to the estate. Said Tessa Bahn has apparently offered money which has been rejected, stay tuned. All sounds reminiscent of the incident in Rawaii where the road was widened without permission!.

As I drove through that flooded area yesterday with a seemingly knowledgeable expat, he explained about that to me and said the Thai gentleman was seeking 50 million baht to re-open up the drainage pipe in order to alleviate the problem. I suspect the rejected offer was somewhat less than that.. :)