1 Year Extension For Support Of Thai Child Obtained

Just to report that yesterday I obtained a 1 year visa extension from Phuket Immigration office. My application was based upon having a Thai son. The documents that I was required to present (when I applied one month ago were):

- Proof of monthly overseas income (>40,000 baht), with certified letter and Thai translation from the British embassy

- Original birth certificate of my son with myself named as father

- Tabian baan (House book) with my son's name in it (the tabian baan was not from the Phuket province, but they were not concerned about that).

- My passport with a 3 month O visa from Penang

- Original divorce certificate from my Thai wife

- copy of my ex's Thai ID card

- Copy of recent bank statements to indicate receipt of the 40k income each month

Unlike the immigration office at Pattaya, Phuket office did not ask for any proof of sole custody of my son. (I don't have sole custody).

As I reported in a previous post, they did complete a questionaire which included such questions as 'can I speak Thai?', 'does the immigration officer feel that I am a suitable person to care for my son etc.

When I collected the visa extension yesterday, the process took 10 minutes. The immigration officer did not speak a single word during the whole process. He stamped my passport, through it onto the table and made an exaggerated, sweeping gesture for me to vacate the immigration office. :)

Simon