Poor Service ...why?

Soulwy

We're staying in a villa, pretty classy, my family pay around 8000 baht per day.

The first 3 days everything was perfect. The villa is beautiful, the service was good, we felt very lucky.

But then... mistake after mistake...

Not enough breakfast served or not what had been ordered (3 times within a week is just too much)

No bottles of water, 1 bottle per day p.p. is really poor for this kind of an accommodation, but getting none is even more lousy.

Clean bed covers, but no clean pillow covers, towels missing etc etc etc.

We're pretty tired of calling the reception. We already booked for a month and have 2,5 weeks to go.

I stayed in much cheaper accomodations but never have experienced this before.

What can be the reason for this? The staff is lovely, a big A for that, but why this poor service?

Edited by Soulwy

From what I've seen, just because the resort or villa is more expensive, it doesn't correlate to a much higher salary then at a lower end place, so the service is typically inline with their income. Yes the staff can be nice and smile a lot, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they are going to be working hard 100% of the time nor doing what they are supposed to be doing. It's hard to keep good staff anywhere in phuket, so even if the staff is slacking a bit, they will probably not get sacked unless there is fraud or theft involved.

Having worked on cruise ships I can tell you that those in service jobs would not give good service to those who may or may not have tipped at the end of the cruise.

Through their experience they knew that people waiting till the end were more likely to give a small tip or nothing if they could sculk away

OK, I assume that this a private villa rental, and as such you probably have the email address of the actual owner/agent. First thing is to send an email to them, and use the leverage of adverse publicity to correct these deficiencies. Maybe it will work, maybe not. Other thing, correct shortfalls as they happen, don't let them continue for a day or couple of days in the belief that sometimes mistakes happen. Your service will be directly related to your tolerance of substandard service. Don't tolerate it.

Correction, you mention contacting 'reception' so this is a hotel/resort. Bottom line, you've got a couple of weeks left, actively search for an alternative, and move. Too many people tolerate second rate service and pay first rate prices. Holidays are too important to be left with a bad taste in the mouth.

From what I've seen, just because the resort or villa is more expensive, it doesn't correlate to a much higher salary then at a lower end place, so the service is typically inline with their income. Yes the staff can be nice and smile a lot, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they are going to be working hard 100% of the time nor doing what they are supposed to be doing. It's hard to keep good staff anywhere in phuket, so even if the staff is slacking a bit, they will probably not get sacked unless there is fraud or theft involved.

Makes sense. Regardless of the class-laddened {or lack thereof} facility, chances are the hard working staff are not making a worthy wage for their respected value. Certainly this shouldn't reflect common services expected, even though it is more realistic. Hospitality industries are notorious worldwide for disrespectable wage practices - and therefor, it comes back to bite the customer on the backside. In time, the selective market/patronage takes it's cycle.

Makes sense. Regardless of the class-laddened {or lack thereof} facility, chances are the hard working staff are not making a worthy wage for their respected value. Certainly this shouldn't reflect common services expected, even though it is more realistic. Hospitality industries are notorious worldwide for disrespectable wage practices - and therefor, it comes back to bite the customer on the backside. In time, the selective market/patronage takes it's cycle.

But this isnt the fault of the customer.. They are paying 8k a night, for that you expect a level of service thats above a 1000 baht guesthouse. Its up to the provider to solve their problems or lose business.

The answer my friend is that the Thais have learnt weel the art of charging 5 star prices but save for a very few hotels, are clueless to 5 star service

Exactly.. I have for a long time laughed at the 'quality tourist' drive for high net worth people to come and stay here. High net worth people dont care about cheap beer and women, and the kind of services to suit their lifestyles cost so much more then the west that its actually far more expensive to live a high end lifestyle here than there. Go look at the costs of owning a exotic car, the prices of high end electronics (I just looked into some B&W speakers here.. Dear lord !!) etc etc. Theres high aspirations but in broad terms Thais simply dont have a concept of what the true high end crowd expect. Sure theres the Sri Panwa or Amanpuri experience but try exporting that into a daily life and it simply doesnt stack up.

Many people are quick to jump on the Thai staff without knowing enough details or the Development.

But most of the Villa Developments are owned or run by foreigners, so it may be an issue of poor management, supervision, training or just trying to cut costs. The Thais may also be understaffed because of a pretty low low season.

A family Villa at 8,000 per day is at the low end of Villas, but understandable higher than 3 rooms at a reasonable hotel, so you would expect reasonable service and it's clear you arent getting it.

Not enough details to offer advice, but I would be asking to meet the Manager next time I was in reception.

I presume you have talked to the management? I don't expect they would want to lose 8k per night.

But then??....ah yes. TIT and it looks like they don't care. They may just guess that you are there....won't complain...won't move.

So....move with your feet, there are plenty of places where they will appreciate your business.

Are you tipping?

By the way Benjie....nobody has a right to a tip. Some cruise ships still entrap and blackmail their guests into forced tipping. Same as the States where they expect you, the customer/guest, to pay their staff wages. It is just ridiculous and needs to be banned. To get a tip should be a privilege not a right..This man and his family have the right to 8k a day service without the staff holding back because he has not tipped.

Thanks for your different points of view, much appreciated. We just couldn't figure it out.

Responding to posted questions:

American owner & Am/Th.management.

From the start the tipping was generous (in my eyes over the top) , after the poor service my family stopped tipping, they want to wait till the end of our stay.

The only thing we could do was going to the reception over and over again.

When I travel alone I stay at 7-800 baht per night places and had better service (+more water ;-)

I think if you promote yourself as a high end accommodation and offer a villa like this (looks really good with a giant pool) I think you should also offer good service with no compromises. The means are there.

One time my family member lost her temper when she had to go the reception when we came back at night, and surprisingly that helped. A little...haha... Moving to an other accommodation is not an option, as we, of course, paid upfront.

For a small part we accepted the way it is, and we try to see it as a routine to go to the reception. We just want to have a relaxing vacation.

After reading your posts we know we don't have to accept it, and that it is not something personal.

Thanks again for your sounds!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GOOD point "steelepulse" - just because it's 5 star doesn't mean that the staff get (much) higher pay !

Besides having worked in the tourism industry, high net worth individuals are NOT always the best tipper,

sometime they are the WORST tipper, reasoning: I pay all this money, now I want the service !

And the attitude : you better do what I want ... boy !! gets my middle finger and not my service.

I have gotten better tips from old ladies on fixed income - compared to "elites" traveling first/bus. class

and boasting about their privileges in airline/airport lounges and exclusive spots they have visited.

SO : I will tell them on the 1st day - I look after the BILL , here's a partial tip for everyone involved in

direct contact with me. This is what I WANT looked after for my ENTIRE stay .... and when I am happy

and my family is happy ... I will not forget you all upon checkout. Wonders do happen with Thai staff

- try it and it will be good for both sides. So lousy service = no more tips, end of discussion.

And just because they are service staff, it's HOW you approach & treat them that counts ( & tips).

a million thanks DOES NOT pay their daily bills or put BAHT in their pockets, they still have to live.

kg1947.

I would not tip at all. I have noticed that service is rather poor all around Thailand, no mater how much they are paid or how much you tip. Even a child will learn to give good service if tipped properly, which means you should not tip if you have received bad service.

I would not tip at all. I have noticed that service is rather poor all around Thailand, no mater how much they are paid or how much you tip. Even a child will learn to give good service if tipped properly, which means you should not tip if you have received bad service.

Oh crap ! Ask any tourist the main reason they come to Thailand and the answer is always "Service with a smile" The Thai service industry is by far the best in the world, just compare to grudging Aussie waitresses, mechanical mouthed Americans who sound like a tape recorder or downright rude French !