F1 2010 Preview

Mosha

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread, good idea Mosha.

For me, Button going to McLaren is a better move for Button than it is for McLaren.

The best thing out of it for McLaren i think is the degree of prestige they garner from having a current World Champ driving for the team. In terms of what he does on the track however, i'm expecting Lewis to outperform him with some ease. Not only because Lewis is a better driver, but because of the time Lewis has been with the team.

Button will i'm sure demand and get fairly equal treatment, but going to a new team is a bit like starting at a new school. It takes time to get comfortable and to really be part of the comeradery. The time it takes to settle in could be all Lewis needs to establish who is top dog.

Where does all this latest news leave Kimi i wonder?

Hi to 2010!

With Merc GP getting race numbers 1 & 2 does that mean McLaren get 22 & 23. Whilst this worked with consistent 20 car grids the demise of BMW & Toyota plus the arrival of the 3 new boys could mean a whole revamp of the numbering system.

TBWG :)

Autosport has him as taken 12 months off.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80187

Taking time off does sound a lot better than being unemployed doesn't it. :D

Planet F1 seem to think Jenson Button is on his bike? ..... http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_5701378,00.html

Myself I would rather he stay put .... Ross Brawn tactical skill being the main reason, but at Macca he will play 2nd fiddle to McLaren lovechild Lewis. :)

TBWG :D

So it's as good as confirmed. Button to McLaren and Kimi out of F1, hoping to get a drive in rallying.

Shame to see Kimi leave the sport like this. Seems a combination of lack of good seats and his greed have resulted in this. Perhaps he'll make a come-back in 2011. Like to think so. F1 needs big names and he has one.

The trouble is only Weber will be at the end of his current contract out of the "competitive" teams form this year. Having said that, if he had driven for Red bull this year I think he'd have been WDC 2009.

The trouble is only Weber will be at the end of his current contract out of the "competitive" teams form this year. Having said that, if he had driven for Red bull this year I think he'd have been WDC 2009.

Hmm, the 2010 season really is going to be a radical change all round. Have to say reliability issues aside I think a punt on Vettel is on the cards! Red Bull, just about the only team with continuity as well as Adrian Newey!

Time will tell!

http://msnsport.skysports.com/story/0,1952...5705592,00.html

Seems looking over his shoulder for where Lewis was made Jenson think. Also I find Fry's comments a bit odd. Wasn't Jenson complaining at the end of the season about lack of negotiations? Also I still think Mercedes would have made it clear to Brawn that they wanted an all German line up from the start.

Jenson to McLaren has got to be good for McLaren as its hard to believe he will be worse than Heikki.

Not so sure its good for Jenson though. The car may be great, but few will doubt that the team revolves around Lewis which must give him the advantage (not to mention the point raised previously that it will be a steep learning curve for JB compared to LH).

Find it v hard to believe that Schumi will go to Mercedes. Jenson obviously thinks McLaren is his best chance of a WDC car (Ferrari have already confirmed FA and FM), so why on earth would Schumi take a seat in any car that was unlikely to result in another WDC? The possible short-term seat to replace Massa for the remainder of the 2009 season was entirely different circumstances.

Edited by F1fanatic

Michael Schumacher will race in Formula 1 for Mercedes' new team in 2010,

On the BBC New a few mins ago

Can't find anything to confirm this. Was it on the BBC news on TV?

Or was it just Eddie Jordan's comments that he 'thought' Schumi would join Mercedes??

Michael Schumacher will race in Formula 1 for Mercedes' new team in 2010,

On the BBC New a few mins ago

Can't find anything to confirm this. Was it on the BBC news on TV?

Or was it just Eddie Jordan's comments that he 'thought' Schumi would join Mercedes??

It was on the 19:00 [Thai time] World News on BBC in sports roundup .

Edit: Nothing about this on http://www.formula1.com News

Edited by ignis

Maybe something for a new thread later. However anyone up for a prediction thread once the drivers/teams are sorted. I'm thinking along the lines of making your choices before the season starts. Live by the sword etc. You ride the season with your choice.

Hi Guys, I am a new entrant to this fraternity, but an avid fan and regular 'lurker'. I really can't understand all the fuss about Button, and why Maclaren have taken him on - other than the obvious Champion title.

He has achieved absolutely nothing in a very long career, last season was given a huge point advantage due to a superior car in the first half of the season, but tried his best to stuff that up when all the other marques caught up.

Shocking decision by Maclaren IMHO, I am sure I will be justified from the first race. He is an alsoran driver who had a lucky break as far as I see it. I will bow to you guys' superior knowledge if you disagree, just offering my 2 baht's worth.

Bring it on, weekends just aren't the same right now. Looking forward to seeing some new blood mixing it up, should be an interesting season. I will check back in to the new '10 thread as soon as it is up.

QED

Hi Guys, I am a new entrant to this fraternity, but an avid fan and regular 'lurker'. I really can't understand all the fuss about Button, and why Maclaren have taken him on - other than the obvious Champion title.

He has achieved absolutely nothing in a very long career, last season was given a huge point advantage due to a superior car in the first half of the season, but tried his best to stuff that up when all the other marques caught up.

Shocking decision by Maclaren IMHO, I am sure I will be justified from the first race. He is an alsoran driver who had a lucky break as far as I see it. I will bow to you guys' superior knowledge if you disagree, just offering my 2 baht's worth.

Bring it on, weekends just aren't the same right now. Looking forward to seeing some new blood mixing it up, should be an interesting season. I will check back in to the new '10 thread as soon as it is up.

QED

If I remember correct Button had to buy his wayout of his drive contract with Maclaren a few years ago, makes me wonder why Maclaren would want him again.

QED

If I remember correct Button had to buy his wayout of his drive contract with Maclaren a few years ago, makes me wonder why Maclaren would want him again.

Think you will find that was Williams not Macca.

Hello everyone. It seems to me 2010 will be an exciting season. No refuelling, new teams. A bit on Lotus,... Heard that they're getting Trulli as first driver. Not really excited about that. More excited about second driver. IMO, Kobayashi has shown great potential and deserve a full season drive. I heard Jenson took a pay cut to join McLaren. If it's true, do you think that's a good decision?

Hello everyone. It seems to me 2010 will be an exciting season. No refuelling, new teams. A bit on Lotus,... Heard that they're getting Trulli as first driver. Not really excited about that. More excited about second driver. IMO, Kobayashi has shown great potential and deserve a full season drive. I heard Jenson took a pay cut to join McLaren. If it's true, do you think that's a good decision?

Hi Hazri

Irrespective of the money involved I think Ross Brawns strategy ability is worth a couple of wins per season, so think he should have stayed put. However, there are rumours floating about that Jensons face did not fit in the new Merc GP team! No smoke without fire?

QED

Button drove superbly in a good car. Once he had a virtually unbeatable lead he dropped back, for whatever reason, and Barri looked better.

Doesn't actually matter - he won the WDC as, at the end of the day HE WON MORE POINTS THAN ANYONE ELSE. Just because he won them at the beginning of the season rather than a fight to the death at the end, makes him no less deserving. Let's be absolutely honest here, no driver really stood out as driving brilliantly all season and therefore more deserving of winning the WDC.

I'm not a Button fan as, whilst I think he's good in a good car, history shows he's mediocre in a poor car. Nonetheless, his WDC was deserved.

Do you honestly think Button will perform worse than Heikki? :)

If McLaren produce a good car, Button will win them lots of points (unlike Heikki). I think this move will be brilliant for McLaren, but am not so sure it will be good for Button. The team is based around Hamilton. Does Button really stand a chance of changing this?

Edited by F1fanatic

If McLaren produce a good car, Button will win them lots of points (unlike Heikki). I think this move will be brilliant for McLaren, but am not so sure it will be good for Button. The team is based around Hamilton. Does Button really stand a chance of changing this?

That's up to Button.

There's no sentimentality in F1. If Button gets better results than Hamilton, the focus of the team will shift towards him. But he has to earn that by driving out of his skin at the start of the season. If Lewis gets away that will be it.

It's a tough challenge to be going to a new team and having to be red hot from the first race, but this is what being a World Champ is about. Proving yourself, sometimes in adversity.

Cometh the hour, cometh the man, as they say. Will Button cometh? Personally, i have my doubts.

P.S. David, any news?

I'm having doubt about the whole McLaren team to honest.

Coz Merc got their own team now and surely Merc will concentrate more on them regarding engine development and improvements. McLaren playing second fiddle next season?

Just my 2cents.

Cheers. :)

I'm having doubt about the whole McLaren team to honest.

Coz Merc got their own team now and surely Merc will concentrate more on them regarding engine development and improvements. McLaren playing second fiddle next season?

Just my 2cents.

Cheers. :D

McLaren are one of the best resourced teams in F1. With the Mercedes break I would be very surprised if they are not working on their own powerplant.

However, this will not happen overnight, maybe a few lean years if Merc decide to play dirty!