Phuket Beaches

Gra777

The other day i drove my motorbike out of Patong and over the hill to PARADISE beach with a view to having a swim and then maybe a couple of beers and some food.I have done this several times before.A guy came out of the restaurant and told me i would have to pay 100baht to walk on the beach.When i protested and told him i thought all the beaches were owned by the king he became aggressive and told me to pay or leave.I left.Why is he allowed to do this?Not paradise at all

All beaches are "free". Just the rental of the chairs and umbrellas are 100B.

Some places will also try to stick you for parking. They can charge for parking in some "zones" on the street which is regulate by the local city. And that person is in an offical uniform. Tuk-Tuks drivers also try to take over parking control and they can not. Call a BiB if needed, they will actually come to your defense. Surprise... surprise.

Only 100 THB?

With such low prices it is no wonder tourism number are so high

Did you notice if anyone was on beach or in restaurant?

That's per chair in "High Season"...and people complain!

If they think prices are high in Thailand

tell them to go to south France and see prices there

All beaches are "free". Just the rental of the chairs and umbrellas are 100B.

Owners of land adjacent to beaches can and do charge an "access fee" to cross their property to get to the beach. Is that what the guy was doing? If you can get to the beach by going around the property then they can not charge you. I would have either walked past him or called the tourist police if he wasn't a land owner or a representative of a land owner.

Some places will also try to stick you for parking. They can charge for parking in some "zones" on the street which is regulate by the local city. And that person is in an offical uniform. Tuk-Tuks drivers also try to take over parking control and they can not. Call a BiB if needed, they will actually come to your defense. Surprise... surprise.

Only problem is then you will return to a keyed paint and slashed tires. Just move on. Don't argue or fight with Tuk Tuks. They are part of an extremely powerful organization and they know it. Best to avoid these scum at all costs. It will always end bad for you. Trust me.

Edited by Scubabuddha

Whenever I go to Paradise Beach, which is not too often but several times, I just park my bike down there, go to the restaurant and have a drink there and then enjoyed the beach. Nobody ever charged me some money for parking or a chair. And if you eat a snack or fried rice or whatever, no problem at all.

I found this here:http://www.knowphuket.com/beaches/Paradise.htm

"You are crossing private land. There is no charge for crossing the land but the owners do like you to hire a sunlounger or spend some money at the restaurant so you are making a contribution to the upkeep of the beach."

My experience traveling around Thailand is Phuket is full of very greedy Thais, willing to cheat, extort, and sometimes steal money from foreigners as well as other Thais. A stark contrast to some of the other places I have been in Thailand such as Khao Lak, Krabi, and Chang Mai and Pai. Even Bangkok is not as bad.

Given that the owner of Paradise Beach has repeatedly rejected substantial offers to sell his land to hotels/developers and is on public record as saying he wants to keep the beach natural and open to all, paying 100 baht to help him do that, doesn't seem totally unreasonable.

Your crossing private property to get to the public beach.. For that they can charge you..

Whenever I go to Paradise Beach, which is not too often but several times, I just park my bike down there, go to the restaurant and have a drink there and then enjoyed the beach. Nobody ever charged me some money for parking or a chair. And if you eat a snack or fried rice or whatever, no problem at all.

They have got far more aggressive this year.. demanding 100 baht per person even after people have eaten and drunk in the restaurant if they didnt want a sun lounger and just wanted to walk on the beach.. Basically they have gone full on greedy and upset a lot of regulars and expats who used to go and spend money there for years.

Given that the owner of Paradise Beach has repeatedly rejected substantial offers to sell his land to hotels/developers and is on public record as saying he wants to keep the beach natural and open to all, paying 100 baht to help him do that, doesn't seem totally unreasonable.

Erm.. Your aware that the whole peninsula from the west end of Tri trang beach has been involved in a more than decade long land abuse scandal ?? Its one of the 90's bent land titles thats been through the courts forever.

Even so it was for sale at 3 or 4 million a rai on some sales sites maybe 5 or 6 years back.. 400 plus rai.. Theres a reason no one bought it and its not because the 'owner' on that beach wants to keep it natural. The 'owner' of that restaurant is not the owner of the land which is a prominent island family name.

Erm.. Your aware that the whole peninsula from the west end of Tri trang beach has been involved in a more than decade long land abuse scandal ?? Its one of the 90's bent land titles thats been through the courts forever.

Even so it was for sale at 3 or 4 million a rai on some sales sites maybe 5 or 6 years back.. 400 plus rai.. Theres a reason no one bought it and its not because the 'owner' on that beach wants to keep it natural. The 'owner' of that restaurant is not the owner of the land which is a prominent island family name.

Hmm, no I wasn't aware, that perhaps changes things then, thought it was all too good to be true.

Hmm, no I wasn't aware, that perhaps changes things then, thought it was all too good to be true.

Grief like this makes me more happy with the decision to buy a boat a few months ago. I go to some great, deserted islands and beaches, swim, BBQ, fish, and generally 'chill out'. Nobody telling me what I can and can't do. Appreciate this option not open to all, only offering an alternative view of life living in Phuket.

Grief like this makes me more happy with the decision to buy a boat a few months ago. I go to some great, deserted islands and beaches, swim, BBQ, fish, and generally 'chill out'. Nobody telling me what I can and can't do. Appreciate this option not open to all, only offering an alternative view of life living in Phuket.

You've been watching reruns of "Waterworld" too many times, understandable, UBC is not great.

You've been watching reruns of "Waterworld" too many times, understandable, UBC is not great.

Actually I tend to watch Multichoice direct from South Africa more, good sport, movies, no subtitles etc. However, get a good experience, and get out to some of the islands more often. The beach on the SE corner of Koh Ratcha Noi for example, or the islands around Koh Hong off Krabi. Sublime, and minimal if any tourists. That's what this environment is about for me, the choice of what anyone wants, and the choice is there, you just have to want/look for it.

Funnily enough this precise information has come up on 'a local news source' today due to a body being found there..

They repeat the position you stated.. That hes the landowner, I still say that doesnt gel with facts I have been told about the entire peninsula and wonder how that ownership works (or what land title it has) but thats clearly how it reads. Apologies.

Only 100 THB?

With such low prices it is no wonder tourism number are so high

Did you notice if anyone was on beach or in restaurant?

That's per chair in "High Season"...and people complain!

Nai Harn they charge B200 per chair.

I arrived at 15.30 and offered the guy a very fair B200 for 2 the chairs for the 2 hours left in the day. No way! Of course he wanted the B400 so I spread the towels!

Actually I tend to watch Multichoice direct from South Africa more, good sport, movies, no subtitles etc. However, get a good experience, and get out to some of the islands more often. The beach on the SE corner of Koh Ratcha Noi for example, or the islands around Koh Hong off Krabi. Sublime, and minimal if any tourists. That's what this environment is about for me, the choice of what anyone wants, and the choice is there, you just have to want/look for it.

Maybe I need to expand on this. There are also several islands/beaches where the tourists returning from 'James Bond' Island are diverted to. A long day sightseeing, maybe a canoe trip or so, stop off at an idyllic beach etc. From there it degenerates, 100 baht for a deckchair, 100 baht for a tin of beer. Give me a break. The look on peoples faces says it all. they think that it's paradise, then the commercial factor kicks in, as does resentment.

And the suspense of your response is killing me!!!

They repeat the position you stated.. That hes the landowner, I still say that doesnt gel with facts I have been told about the entire peninsula and wonder how that ownership works (or what land title it has) but thats clearly how it reads. Apologies.

If you buy property that is beach fronted, your chanote title will show your boundaries, and they are up to the 'high water mark' I.e. the highest point that the tide comes up to.

Your chanote marker post will be driven into the ground at this point.

Anything between that point, and down to the sea belongs to His Majesty the King.

That's the law. You simply cannot own the beach. Nor the sea.

Therefore, if you arrive and leave by boat, (or swimming!) and just sit on the sand for a while, there is nothing anyone can do about it.

I've had this problem a few times when i turn up in my dinghy at Coral Island and they try to knock me for 100b. I just politely refuse and they go away. Eventually.

Making a charge for deck chairs is not unreasonable in my view. It's common everywhere in Europe and it's a lot more than 200b in many places!

I remember staying in Greece years ago. Two deckchairs for the day cost me exactly double the price of my guest house room ! ! Go figure !

I have no problem paying for deckchairs.. I am not penny pinching and have no problem paying premiums for them to bring cold drinks or the GF's food to the chairs and even tip well.. Thats a service and I am genuinely happy to pay..

I do object tho when having ridden there on the bike, eaten and spent a few hundred baht per person in the restaurant, that when I then want to walk along the beach for a post feed stroll they demand money, and they dont just ask nicely or suggest it.. I mean they aggressively DEMAND money like at ya nui. The way I see it I have just paid for my access by giving them custom, fairs fair no ??

And yes all beaches belong to the king, but even if you take a long tail they demand it.. Tho without a bike to let the tyres down on I doubt I would pay if they pissed me off then. Thats the issue, if they fuc_k with your bike its one hel_l of a walk to get it fixed.

I have been going there since the days when the jungle trail WAS an adventure.. I purposefully went there extra times post tsunami and eat (and tipped heavy) as I felt like it was a biz I wanted to support, yet the 'think for today only' mindset is one where no attention is paid to the tough times when we remembered them, only maximum extraction of money is now the biz plan. Fine, wont ruin my day, theres other beaches and businesses, but dont expect me to rush there to support them any longer.

It IS a lovely little beach at high tide, they have a freshwater pipe near the rock for a post swim washdown, and they keep the beach nice etc etc.. I have no complaint whatsoever against the operation, but if they just dialed back the greed a notch, I and many other expats would still visit it and recommend it and take visitors there for a meal and swim.

The way I see it I have just paid for my access by giving them custom, fairs fair no ??
Agree with you, but they obviously do not. And since they own the beach access, they can deny you access to the beach. Accept it and pay, or don't accept it and don't go there (or come by boat and know they'll give you a hard time).

So Pattaya may not be such a bad place to live after all! Certainly after reading this thread I won't be going to Phuket any time soon!! We may not have the best beaches and they may be unattractive because of

all the deckchairs and umbrellas but at least you can walk for free and the chairs are 'only' 30 Baht. Personally, I'd rather sit on my towel on an empty beach and walk up to a beachfront restaurant for my food and drinks, but I guess you can't have everything...unless you go to Koh Chang...now that is a nice place but rapidly being dragged into the commercial sewer as prices rise each year.

Edited by gmac

So Pattaya may not be such a bad place to live after all! Certainly after reading this thread I won't be going to Phuket any time soon!! We may not have the best beaches and they may be unattractive because of

all the deckchairs and umbrellas but at least you can walk for free and the chairs are 'only' 30 Baht. Personally, I'd rather sit on my towel on an empty beach and walk up to a beachfront restaurant for my food and drinks, but I guess you can't have everything...unless you go to Koh Chang...now that is a nice place but rapidly being dragged into the commercial sewer as prices rise each year.

Correct me if im wrong but its the minority of beaches on Phuket that have this policy (i can only think of 2). Given the number of beaches available its not exactly something to put people off coming to Phuket. In fact ive never paid to walk, sit or swim on any beach here.

Correct me if im wrong but its the minority of beaches on Phuket that have this policy (i can only think of 2). Given the number of beaches available its not exactly something to put people off coming to Phuket. In fact ive never paid to walk, sit or swim on any beach here.

3 if you count the compulsory 'parking fee' at Leam Sing.

Too late, I've already been put off! :)

Too late, I've already been put off! :)

Great shame if you have. The beauty of Phuket is in it's diversity. Yes, the commercial (west coast) resorts are everything you would expect them to be (and more). However, there are places of absolute natural and unspoilt charm, where you're not exposed to racketeering/scams etc. Couple that with the islands offshore, and it puts Pattaya in perspective for what it is (at this point I'll refrain from giving my honest opinion).