Suffering Succotash!

NancyL

All this talk about Thanksgiving got me to thinking about our menu. Traditionally my family has served succotash as a side dish and it would be easy to make here with my limited kitchen facilities ...... if only I could find lima beans!

The other ingredients -- corn, tomatoes, butter and whipping cream are readily available, but I have yet to find lima beans in any form here. Ideally, they should be the larger Fordhook limas to be true to my family recipe, but at this point I'd settle for the smaller baby limas.

Any ideas?

Suggest you try Kasem Store by the Chang Moi entrance to Warrorot Mkt.

Ask for Kn. Gee. She is a little silver haired lady [owner] that is worth her weight in gold. Just a very special person. If she doesn't have them, I'm sure she can tell you where to get them or order them for you

gonzo

Thanks, Gonzo. I'd forgotten about dried limas, which I've found at either Rim Ping or Tops, as well. I was hoping to find frozen limas, though. I'd never used dried limas before and found the flavor to be a bit lacking when I tried them here.

I did find frozen "broad beans" from England at Rim Ping and bought those thinking that was the English name for lima beans. Nope! An internet search (after I'd bought them) disclosed that to be the English name for fava beans. They were good, but I don't think their mild flavor will work well with corn. Much better with Mediterrean and Middle Eastern dishes. Besides, one of the "ground-rules" of our Thanksgiving dinner is that all the food should be native to the Americas.

So, has anyone found frozen, (or even better) fresh lima beans in Chiang Mai?