Green Book With Page 18

noahvail

I had to wait 60 days, but finally got the green book on my new Ninja 650. I had really emphasized to my wife that page 18 had to be stamped. The salesperson basically said they can't get it on a new bike. My wife must have made 4 phone calls after 45 days went by without the book, and kept getting the answer "no can get." But lo and behold, I got the green book yesterday and page 18 is filled in.

Sorry, can't get the scanner to work, but there's only one line computer printed on page 18. It says the date it was bought, the date first registered, numbers that I think are frame and engine serial numbers, a fee paid of 100 baht, and two stamps and signatures.

So, page 18 can be obtained through the dealer when new. So I guess if I get stopped the tea money will be a little less :)

The bike was purchased from the Kawasaki dealer in Udon Thani. Got lots of freebies at sale, including paying the road tax and basic insurance for a year (I paid to upgrade the insurance to first class). The after-sales service has really been great (other than chasing the green book, but that had a good result). It's the service manager who works on my bike, and he's careful, meticulous, and any work done is quite inexpensive. Highly recommended.

I was told, and it can be wrong, that only an imported bike needs to have page 18 stamped. But road-check-ups with customs and police checking your papers no page 18 stamp can be a long story on a big bike (no big sticker MADE IN THAILAND). So yes even a few of my friends are now having a stamp...just to make things smooth at road-stops.

There is also some logic in it, it is similar to income tax, even if you not need to pay income tax, you need that little slip from the revenue department to say that you did pay even if it is zero bath

Edited by Richard-BKK

I was also under the impression it was grey bikes only and something on the bike description page indicated main dealer or private import (didnt suss that fully).

But whats nuts is they add a page 18 on yours, but not on other, do sometimes, dont sometimes, demand money based on these various mistakes and interpretations. These things are the systems fault not the buyers fault.

I was told, and it can be wrong, that only an imported bike needs to have page 18 stamped. But road-check-ups with customs and police checking your papers no page 18 stamp can be a long story on a big bike (no big sticker MADE IN THAILAND). So yes even a few of my friends are now having a stamp...just to make things smooth at road-stops.

There is also some logic in it, it is similar to income tax, even if you not need to pay income tax, you need that little slip from the revenue department to say that you did pay even if it is zero bath

At least 50 parts are labelled MADE IN THAILAND. Discbrakes, rims and all plastic and lights beeing most visuable.

There have been a couple of threads on this forum about the stamp on page 18. Evidently, customs regs state that all bikes must have a stamp - but they neglected to exempt bikes that don't go through customs, namely Thai-made machines. So while logically you don't need one, technically you do - and it's been reported that some people are being made to pay some hefty "fines" to get their machines back. It would appear that our constabulary has found a new revenue source, and one that quickly generates a lot more than a month of 100 and 200 baht collections.

I took what I read in those threads, decided I wasn't being paranoid :D but realistic :) , and pushed to have a stamp. Time will tell if that was a good move, or not at all necessary. I reckon it's one less thing they could get me on - so they'd have to find a smaller thing, which I hope would require less of a contribution on my part.

Oh, off topic, but a word of caution from my wife: If and when you get stopped, immediately kill the engine and put the key in your pocket. She tells me one tactic that the gendarmes use is to simply take the key out of the ignition; guess what you'll have to do to get the key back? (Get your mind out of the gutter - you know who you are!) :D

Sorry but I don't know what all the fuss is about...

I've bought 4 Thai-made bikes, a Honda Click, a Kawasaki Ninja 250R, ER-6n and Ninja 650R. None of the green books have any info on page 18. Page 18 is blank. Sold two of those bikes and transferred ownership from Bangkok to other provinces (Chiang Mai and Khon Kaen) and the blank page 18 was never an issue.

Accumulated about 50,000km on the 4 bikes over the past 3 years and have NEVER been asked by the police to show a Green Book. I keep all Green Books (and the Blue Book for my car) in the safe at home. I only keep a copy of the Green/Blue Books with the vehicles.

Only once did a police officer try to "steal" my key and I grabbed him and screamed "KAMOEY!" (thief) and he beat a hasty retreat. I sincerely believe that the BiB only victimize those who allow themselves to be victims.

Ride On!

I've bought 4 Thai-made bikes, a Honda Click, a Kawasaki Ninja 250R, ER-6n and Ninja 650R. None of the green books have any info on page 18. Page 18 is blank. Sold two of those bikes and transferred ownership from Bangkok to other provinces (Chiang Mai and Khon Kaen) and the blank page 18 was never an issue.

Accumulated about 50,000km on the 4 bikes over the past 3 years and have NEVER been asked by the police to show a Green Book. I keep all Green Books (and the Blue Book for my car) in the safe at home. I only keep a copy of the Green/Blue Books with the vehicles.

Only once did a police officer try to "steal" my key and I grabbed him and screamed "KAMOEY!" (thief) and he beat a hasty retreat. I sincerely believe that the BiB only victimize those who allow themselves to be victims.Ride On!

Hi

Say what??? have you ever been riding in phuket for a few days??????????????????

Yes I did ride in Phuket not so long ago, and they serious complained that I had black-white copies of my papers and passport. I needed to call my wife who was a few km behind me, to come to show my passport as they did not accepted my b/w passport copy. Also they needed the greenbook... which we lucky always take if we get near any border... in case you find the urge to cross....

Did anybody with a blank page 18 every try to cross the border and get back without problems? I ask this because it is a location where I would expect something of a page 18 to give problems...

Have done.. But the Malay border and I have been through that multiple times with books not even in my name..

Despite being called a lair for stating this in the past I can say that the Malay border is very slack.. If you get off and foot passenger through then return to the bike they just let you ride on.. I have done this border a handful of times and NEVER have I dont the temp inport or temp export papers..

In fact I did it 2 weeks ago in the car and didnt even show anyone my book.. Going out or coming back in..

I am confident that given a tiny bit of luck riding a bike in through that border without doing the import papers legit would be a doddle. You just have to know when to stop, process the passport, then appear at the passport 'drive through' counters with it all done.. they just wave you through then.

Now cambo and Laos borders I dont know.

Also remember Page 18 is for bikes from 97 on.. Older bikes should be exempt.

Only once did a police officer try to "steal" my key and I grabbed him and screamed "KAMOEY!" (thief) and he beat a hasty retreat. I sincerely believe that the BiB only victimize those who allow themselves to be victims.Ride On!

Hi

Say what??? have you ever been riding in phuket for a few days??????????????????

Hmmm, yeah, I rode around Phuket for a few days a few months back on my ER6n and wasn't hassled by the cops at all... They seemed more interested in stopping all the folks riding around without helmets/plates/tax stickers etc.

Happy Trails!

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Hi

Hmmm, yeah, I rode around Phuket for a few days a few months back on my ER6n and wasn't hassled by the cops at all... They seemed more interested in stopping all the folks riding around without helmets/plates/tax stickers etc.

Happy Trails!

Hi

You should try to live here, one time i had to leave my big bike behind and go home after the green book, they did not even want to see a copy, happens a lot here with big bikes

Only once did a police officer try to "steal" my key and I grabbed him and screamed "KAMOEY!" (thief) and he beat a hasty retreat. I sincerely believe that the BiB only victimize those who allow themselves to be victims.

Ride On!

Tony, I'm glad you've never been hassled - well, only once. Obviously, others have.

I know you believe in wearing all the gear, all the time. Me too. You can never tell when you start a ride if you're gonna get hit. I've never "needed" my gear, cuz I've never been in an accident on the bike, but I wear it cuz, well, y'never know, eh.

Same goes with paperwork: y'never know when you'll need it. Why not ride prepared?

Hi

Happy Trails!

Hi

You should try to live here, one time i had to leave my big bike behind and go home after the green book, they did not even want to see a copy, happens a lot here with big bikes

Almost 7 years in Phuket, like 15 bikes (couple of them old recycled books), more than 100k km on bikes and 350-400k km in cars/trucks. Never been asked for copy of book. Original books are in a safe place

OK guys a question Do you need to have page 18 stamp on the green book when you import a bike from overseas?? and if this is the case where and who stamps the page 18.

The page 18 info is 'excise tax' and is due on all bikes.

Thai main dealers (non private imports) dont usually have this stamp (am told something on the bike description covers direct sale v import) and all imported bikes, whether imported as parts or whole should have this. Page 18 information comes from customs Dept.

It should apply to only post 97 machines, but they are casting the net as wide as they can as its profitable.

Also its been shown that sometimes the DMV was too lazy to either write this in, or move it over when a new book was issued, because until recently no one bothered and we all know the superb attention to detail and efficiency operated here. But unless you have the old book (which the DMV keeps here) its your problem.

I have.. I managed to persuade them to hold my Thai license and I would bring it to the cop shop the next day to show and reclaim. I didnt have a copy then either, now I keep a laminated copy under the seat.

It is a concern for touring.. The book is precious, getting a new one (with the page 18 nightmares) would be hellish, I dont want to have to carry an original all around the country. But they can and do demand it.