My Current Laptop/bluetooth/gprs Setup.

Para

I see there are a few threads relating to GPRS/WiFi connections so thought it would be easier to post a new thread.

I have been using the following setup for a while now and have to admit I am happy with the connection speed/download rates. I don’t know if this is of any use to you I hope it may be!

Ok spec

Hardware

Laptop is a Acer TM371tci 50gb HDD/512mb Ram

Bluetooth D-Link DBT120 USB running 1.4.2 Build 10 software

Nokia 6630 firmware 3.45.113

Software

Windows XP pro SP1 all patches (holding off SP2 for as long as I can)

Browser is Opera Version 8.0 Build 7522

Download Manager GetRight 5.2

I am on AIS 1 2 Call (Pattaya) they are offering crazy GPRS prices I think its 1 baht/minute after 7pm. There is no cap on downloads which is good as I have just checked and have a download total on my phone of 4.76Gig in 4 weeks.

First to get ANY idea of your connection speeds you need a local n/work data monitor. Forget the networking tab in Windows Task Manager, I have spent ages looking and trying loads and have finally found one I am happy with.

DU Meter 3.0 www.dumeter.com

TweakMaster 2.04 Build 764 from www.tweakmaster.com

TweakMaster is the first internet optimizer that actually knows what EDGE/GPRS actually does!

I used to use an older Nokia (7610) with a DKU2 cable and it was a pain the transfer rate was a killer. Upgraded to the 6630 which connects via EDGE and the difference was amazing. Forget cables if you want high bandwidth you MUST use Bluetooth.

Her is a stat dump from the last online session I had (does that sound funny? ;-))

Maximum transfer rate 235.9 kbps 7.5 kbps

Average transfer rate 171.3 kbps 3.9 kbps

I am sure anyone would be happy with an average transfer of 171kbps @ 1baht a minute

I have tried various config changes of the modem driver and it does not appear to make any difference. I am guessing this is controlled by AIS when you connect via *99#.

Hope this is of some help

Peace

Para