Fine Tuning A Resume For Thai Teaching

TallTravel

I am considering moving to Thailand to teach. Currently in the USA, I want to " test the waters " a bit to develop some solid contacts and opportunities prior to my visit in early 2010. I am trying to decide where to teach, and want to consider other countries as well, based on the pay, accommodations, etc.

With 15 years in IT Sales, Financial Systems, and some medical sales and a Bachelor's Degree in Business from a major Univ in the USA, I want to include all the important buzzwords to help recruiters and others find the right fit for me as well.

I do not have any form of a TEFL certification at this point, but will likely get one before leaving for Thailand. I am considering posting on AJARN.com, but have not yet done so until creating as attractive a resume as possible. Having worked as a recruiter, I know many use search keywords to find resumes.

Any suggestions?

Hi TallTravel

There are many extra benefits in completing a TEFL course in Thailand. For example, job support, cultural awareness training, ready-made social circle of training buddies, 1-year visa support etc.

Our course includes 6 observed teaching practices in real schools with real Thai students. Under Experience on your resume you can add these teaching practices. It's positive to have Thailand teaching experience and Thailand-based references. I have employed many teachers in the more than 10 years I've worked here, and Thailand teaching experience helps to short list applicants.

John

SEETEFL.com

Forum Sponsor

How much do you expect in salary and benefits? Give a realistic figure and the posters here have lots of experience and will be able to tell you what is possible.

I am comparing the Thailand numbers I can get in Korea's public school system right now. For obvious reasons, Thailand is preferable to me over Korea, but the numbers I am getting for the basics in both places are:

Korea public school system: $2,000 per month, plus " accomodations ".

Thai schools (as near as I can tell): $1,000 per month, but I don't know if this includes accomodations or not.

That being said, this is a short term solution to me. I plan on using the first teaching contract to establish contacts, then move into something which allows me to leverage my business, IT, or medical sales experience into a much more profitable position.

My goal is not teaching--my goal is to see and experience as much of Asia as possible over the next 10-15 years. I have even considered eventually working as a recruiter inside some part of the myriad Asian business community.

So, as an example, the word " native English speaker " significantly increase the chances of a software search hit than not having the word " native " in the resume. I am looking for more terms like this to get my background in front of more decision makers eyes. Any keywords like " native ", TEFL, certificate, etc will be recognized by an agency/school system than not having those words for the search engine to pick out.

Once I get there I will begin making local contacts, meeting with decision makers, and getting more offers, but until then I'm simply trying to increase the number of teaching decision makers who view my background. Teach English in a Business school would likely bring a bigger paycheck than a TEFL paycheck in a school system.

Any specific keywords I will want to have in my resume?

Unfortunately your extensive experience in business, IT and medical sales won't count for much in the TEACHING field, tho' having a degree will make it easier to get a work permit. Teachers with extensive experience and qualifications in non-education fields are a dime-a-dozen in Thailand - they earn 30-45k a month!!

If your plan is to get into your fields of experience in the future, I would suggest that you start trying to get a position in LOS from the states - ie an expat job. No doubt there are jobs in your areas of expertise if you speak thai.....or get an expat job.

For a better income teaching, get an education degree and experience and then try for International Schools, but obviously they will take a few years.

I also suggest you go over to Thailand and get a more realistic view of the landscape for non-qualified teachers.

Good Luck

Edited by Sporting Dog

"Any keywords like " native ", TEFL, certificate, etc will be recognized by an agency/school system than not having those words for the search engine to pick out."

What search engine are you talking about?

I think you have the wrong idea about how recruiters work here.

Thanks Endure, that's a little bit of my concern as well. We get a number of teachers who plan to use teaching as a stepping stone to other things. I don't have a problem with that as long as people are straight with what they are doing, why they are doing it and how long they plan to be around. Most of the employees we've had in this position who have done well are people whose plan is to further and continue their education. These are people who who see education as valuable and learning as a worthwhile endeavor.

That have been others who have been good, but most don't see it as 'treading water'.

I think the mistake that a lot of people make is thinking that there are boundless opportunities out there in Thailand. Thailand exists for Thais and they don't take too kindly to foreigners making their fortune at their expense.

I hope the OP can clarify his goals and position for us.

The OP is sadly lacking in research ability.

'Buzz words'? For teaching in Thailand?

Thought it was a pretty picture or 'boots on the ground'?

Personally, I am sick of these maggots using our kids as stepping stones for their own little Empire Building.

Fact is, they can't be all that good in their own profession back home otherwise they would be here on ex-pat contracts.

Leeches.............the lot of 'em.

Let's be careful not to tar everyone with the same brush.

There are leeches and then there are people who have goals. There are people who accept what they get and do the best they can; there are others that get very negative about their situation.

We don't know where the OP is on the spectrum, but hopefully he will enlighten us.

Thats all well and good Scott but the OP has clearly defined his goals...........using teaching as a stepping stone to obtain contacts for his ultimate goals.

Lets not forget the kids here, getting used to a new teacher, learning the classroom rules etc.............and then he ups sticks?

No wonder many Thai teachers have poor opinions of TEFLER's

Thats all well and good Scott but the OP has clearly defined his goals...........using teaching as a stepping stone to obtain contacts for his ultimate goals.

Lets not forget the kids here, getting used to a new teacher, learning the classroom rules etc.............and then he ups sticks?

No wonder many Thai teachers have poor opinions of TEFLER's

I agree with you 100%. Adults SHOULD NOT use kids as stepping stones to reach an ultimate goal. The simple fact that most TEFLER's forget is as a teacher we are here to SERVE the kids and by that I mean educate them. NOT, to teach them until we can find a better job.