Tip: Hibernate Win7 Instead Of Shutdown

Obiwan

I found out that using the hibernate function instead of shutdown makes the Win7 system start up and close down much faster. What is more important is that there is no more nervebreaking harddisk ouverture during the first minutes after startup. You can set the power switch to use hybernate and be started up and running in 20 seconds. The power can be turned off completely without problem.

nervebreaking harddisk ouverture? ? ?

After startup, my win7 does a harddisk dance for about 5 - 10 minutes (preloading things and maybe checking things), XP is quiet after startup, so with hibernate win7 it is quiet right away.

After startup, my win7 does a harddisk dance for about 5 - 10 minutes (preloading things and maybe checking things)

5-10 minutes?

Sounds to me like 'superfetch' is working overtime. Better check your startup programs, disable the ones you don't need...

After startup, my win7 does a harddisk dance for about 5 - 10 minutes (preloading things and maybe checking things)

5-10 minutes?

Sounds to me like 'superfetch' is working overtime. Better check your startup programs, disable the ones you don't need...

More ram will help also.

nervebreaking harddisk ouverture? ? ?

After startup, my win7 does a harddisk dance for about 5 - 10 minutes (preloading things and maybe checking things), XP is quiet after startup, so with hibernate win7 it is quiet right away.

Who is the father of that dog LOL?

Something really wrong with that timing. I have Win7 on my MSI Wind Netbook. From BIOS complete to password prompt - 13 seconds, after entering password 30 seconds and full bootup complete. 20 seconds for complete shutdown (not standby/hibernate).

//edit - the Wind uses a standard 5400 rpm hard drive, not SSD.