Things To Do For The Family In Rayong/pattaya Area?

Richb2004v2

Has anyone any idea or suggestions of things to do and places to go for me and my very young family? We are in Ban Chang so the Rayong to Pattaya area is within range.

I've been to both Samet and Koh Chang many times and this is not an option for me as my children are too young at the minute.

We've been to the Rayong Aquarium more than once, although due to ridiculous opening hours only been in once.

We've been to the disappointing turtle sanctuary at Sattahip.

Having spent time cleaning the dirty beaches of Ban Chang I'm not keen to go there, plus the kids are again too young anyway.

I've been to Silver Valley vineyards on the way to Pattaya which is very impressive.

The only attraction remaining that I know of but have never visited is Nong Nooch Tropical garden, but for some reason my wife is not keen to go there. I think she is expecting high ferang entrance fees.

So, any suggestions welcome.

Why not visit Wat Khao Sukim, just down the road from you in the Tha Mai area of Chantaburi.

One of the most impresive temples I have ever visited in Thailand.

The exhibits on display on the third and fourth floor are well worth a visit, as is the view from the roof.

I would recommend Nong Nooch for a day out. The animal lovers will whine and whinge as they have animals in captivity, but the elephants that do an amazing show would probably be dead by now if they weren't working there.

I took my parents there about 2 years ago and they loved it, apart from the entrance fee which I got at Thai price by producing my driving license and they had to pay full price haha.

Back then if I recall correctly it was 200 baht Thai, and 400 farang. Even at 400 I reckon it's good value as it is an all day affair.

Crocodile farm in East Pattaya is also worth a visit, the highlight being dangling a chicken on a pole over the Croc lake, very funny trying to tease them and see how long you last. Only about 200 for farang I think, a fraction of that for Thais.

How old are the kids? Ripley's in Royal Garden Plaza, Pattaya, would entertain them if they are over 4 or so.

Also 'Monkey Island', sorry I forget the correct name. Go to Ban Saray and ask at the pier, they will take you on a boat to a very small island full of monkeys, they all come on the boat and take your bananas, kids would love that I reckon.

I have a few other ideas but it depends on the children's ages, let us know.

At Nong Nooch you can get in for the Thai price if you show your driving license.

Same at Underwater World in Pattaya.

Avoid Mini Siam.

Anyone been to "The Romance of the Three Kingdom's Park" at Horseshoe Point?

Take the kids to Wiggle Town for a couple of hours while the missus goes shopping in Pattaya?

Just one place comes to mind as a possibility that may not get much of a mention and might still be worth a day-trip for a picnic or maybe the restaurant is still open for lunches. Pluak Daeng Dam.

Not far from Ban Chang, if you head east on Sukh and turn left on Thanon 3191 (where Mapthaput is the right hand turn), I'd hazard a guess at 16-20km, or around 5 kays beyond Nikhom Pattana. It's been four years since I last went there, so maybe it's worth a drive up by yourself to check on the water levels and amenities still operating.

I hope this isn't too much of a red herring.

how about the newly opened waxworks museum upstairs in Royal Garden Plaza?

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/11/22...el_30117092.php

I always find wax museums to be disappointing as the models generally only look vaguely as they are supposed to. From the reports on TV this one is no different. Plus they have dual pricing which always puts me off.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a 3km treetops cable ride just opened on the other side of Rayong about 10k off suhumvit at Tapong - signposted. Not sure what age it's good down to though...

I've not been yet, but I've heard its a good half-day eco-tour. Pricy though at 1700 farang, and 1200 Thai.