Opening A Laundry

A very good friend has been offered a position looking after a new block of student accommodation for Mahasarakham University, she will be paid a wage and also get rent free use of a shop/flat on the ground floor. She wants to operate a laundry service from the shop and asked me what equipment she would need.

As I am not an expert in this area I thought I would throw the question to TV and see what came up? Anyone out there have any experience in this sort of business willing to share some tips on things like:

What are the most effective washers/dryers to use?

Ironing machine or just old fashioned iron?

Layout and setup?

methods used for most efficient operation?

Recommendations for detergents/brands of equipment.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

The opening a laundry subject has been discussed in detail on previous posts if you do a search.

It seems the main concensus was most of these went out of business

First thing I would is to research if these students have any other avenues to wash their own clothes like coin op machines on each floor of their building

If they do, maybe rethink this idea completely

It is best to research this topic on the previous posts

install coin operated washing machines and you are sitting on a gold mine :):D:D

I had a laundry business for many years, but in U.K. not Thailand.

Start off small, ie. as a cottage industry, to test the market.

Setting up on a commercial basis could prove to be expensive. Water usage (supply in and waste out) is massive and could not be handled by domestic pipework. Think extra electrical supply, to handle a number of machines running concurrently. Think fire precautions with water and electricity in tandem.

Commercial machinery, although good, is also very expensive to buy and repair. Think repairs, parts etc. for machines used constantly.

A domestic iron (albeit one of the highest quality) would surfice unless the business attracted a lot of customers with bedding. For sheets etc. you would need a small commercial roller-iron to say the least.

Not putting you off, but it is not exactly like opening a sweet shop.

• 2 weeks later...

Did she market research the laundry idea?

I have only been in Thailand a few short times; however where ever we travel there, my wife seems to be able to find, within any few blocks, a lady who does laundry.

A 20 Bhat item at the hotel, she has the same lady 1/2 block away do for 2 Bhat.

She, your friend, could maybe work out a deal with a local laundress to rent a small portion of the shop for drop off and delivery of laundry?

The rest of the shop could be another business.

SHE, my wife, says vitamin and health products are the rage in Thailand now. What about a coffee shop?

Oh, is the owner on the same page with a permenent laundry business? don't forget kareoke...

Edited by eggomaniac