Have Computer,now Got Laptop

thaimate

sorry if i seem dim ,but for the last few years i have had a desktop computer running on T T AND T line now my son wants a laptop fro xmas ,to play games and for school , what do i have to do to get it working on wi fi in the house? using my own line ,talking to the Thai "experts" is like walking through treacle so H E L P.

BY THE WAY I WAS LOOKING TO GET HIM AN aCER LAPTOP COSTING ABOUT 23K

Buy a wireless router, connect your tt&t modem to the router, configure your wifi on the laptop and desktop to the router and away you go.

If you go to a decent pc company they will sell you an appropriate laptop + router and set it all up for you.

Depends on what games he likes but if they are graphics intensive the laptop you mention will not be up to the job, if likes those sort of game you will need to spend 50,000 plus. Wireless N will give better range than the cheap wireless G modem/routers too. If you need to buy a new modem they normally come with a set-up program now and are quite easy to get going you will just need your user name and password.

Depends on what games he likes but if they are graphics intensive the laptop you mention will not be up to the job, if likes those sort of game you will need to spend 50,000 plus. Wireless N will give better range than the cheap wireless G modem/routers too.

I agree, the cheap laptops only come with shared graphical memory chipsets, not a proper graphical card. The recent games would require at least 250MB of dedicated memory but 512MB to have decent resolution settings.

Laptops are usually not intended for video game players.

Depends on what games he likes but if they are graphics intensive the laptop you mention will not be up to the job, if likes those sort of game you will need to spend 50,000 plus. Wireless N will give better range than the cheap wireless G modem/routers too.

I agree, the cheap laptops only come with shared graphical memory chipsets, not a proper graphical card. The recent games would require at least 250MB of dedicated memory but 512MB to have decent resolution settings.

I disagree, my acer lappy came with a separate GPU (512mb), cost was about 25k (albeit 2 yrs ago).

You can indeed find Acer computers with video cards in that price range. The 4736 series comes in many models from that price down and some have video cards and some don't.

I would just buy a combined modem/router for about 2,000 baht. Easy to set up and use. I have a D-link 2640T and it works fine for wire and wireless.

Thanks boys ,you can always get good advice on Thaivisa :) if i need any more advice i know ,never ask a Thai ,you wouldnt believe the different stories stores have told me.

Acer's new models are quite good and come with graphics cards.

A 256 MB ATI Radeon or higher graphics card will work just fine. Look for ATI Radeon Cards installed. 512 meg ATI Radeon or higher would be great.

Do not settle for less than 1mb of Ram. 2mb to 4mb will be super good for games. Often if they only offer 1mb of ram for a few bucks they will upgrade to at least 2 mb of ram which would be much better.

Another thing to look at is the computer screen and you should opt for HD (High Definition)

The games are outrageously cool on HD screens

Do not let them sell you a no name wireless router.

Get a D-Link brand name router.

With wireless and a 1200 baht monthly plan from TOT or TRUE you can stay on the internet 24 hours a day 30 days a month unlimited game playing or downloads.

I disagree, my acer lappy came with a separate GPU (512mb), cost was about 25k (albeit 2 yrs ago).

It certainly would be up to gaming except for basic stuff, the likes of Call of Duty would not be playable on it. a decent GPU for a desktop will cost over 15,000 baht

Laptops, unless there is a good reason for their purchase, are really not up to playing games or indeed any serious use. Most Thais own them to make their face bigger. Most of the laptops brought into my company for servicing, no matter what model or how expensive, don't have anything on them other than a few silly games and thousands of dirty pictures from peers on Facebook, Camfrog, and other online social networking sites. Even the ones owned by university students never seem to have any course work on them. Do him a favor, buy him a proper computer with a large screen 22"+, decent processor, disk drives, etc. and he'll start to appreciate the difference between a child's toys and a useful tool.

I would also advise whatever you buy him get a geniune copy of windows installed on it,my friends cousin just had his computor taken by the internet copy police and demanded 8000 baht to get it back,he is only just turned 18 and uses it for school work mostly,so he lost a lot of his course work but they didnt care he told them he's a poor student from a northern thai village and it would affect his future greatly.His parents saved hard to buy it for him and didnt think about it having a copy.After much negotiation the price came down to 6000 baht.Just a warning to others to consider.

Laptops, unless there is a good reason for their purchase, are really not up to playing games or indeed any serious use. Most Thais own them to make their face bigger. Most of the laptops brought into my company for servicing, no matter what model or how expensive, don't have anything on them other than a few silly games and thousands of dirty pictures from peers on Facebook, Camfrog, and other online social networking sites. Even the ones owned by university students never seem to have any course work on them. Do him a favor, buy him a proper computer with a large screen 22"+, decent processor, disk drives, etc. and he'll start to appreciate the difference between a child's toys and a useful tool.

Really he needs it for school ,so its ever so difficult carrying a desktop computer around in your school bag :) he usually uses my desktop for his games but i get p-ssed of as he is always on there so i just wanted a laptop that could play games as well.

I would also advise whatever you buy him get a geniune copy of windows installed on it,my friends cousin just had his computor taken by the internet copy police and demanded 8000 baht to get it back,he is only just turned 18 and uses it for school work mostly,so he lost a lot of his course work but they didnt care he told them he's a poor student from a northern thai village and it would affect his future greatly.His parents saved hard to buy it for him and didnt think about it having a copy.After much negotiation the price came down to 6000 baht.Just a warning to others to consider.

Just out of curiosity, who are the Internet Copy Police and how did they catch him?