Renouncing Thai Citizenship To Avoid Military ?

sun_sailor

My stepson was born in Thailand to Thai parents.

He has lived in the USA for 5 years and now being 18 is qualified to take

the test to obtain US Citizenship.

I understand the obligation for Thai military service for Thai men

extends to age 30. He intends to stay in the USA, but it seems tht he could be

required to go back to Thailand for the military.

We know there is a "lottery" and talk of "tea money" to be exempt,

but what are all the options? Is renouncing Thai citizenship the only sure bet?

Not his preferred choice, as he wants University and a career in the USA,

but may want to live in Thailand someday...

No Thai citizen need do military service if they don't want to. Just ask around for details. Traditionally, it's not discussed on internet forums.

Why does he not want to do military service?

He is willing to hold Thai citizanship so why should he not serve his country?

Is he a coward?

No Thai citizen need do military service if they don't want to. Just ask around for details. Traditionally, it's not discussed on internet forums.

Is he a coward?

Maybe he is spending the next couple of years taking a university degree in the US and he plans to live in the US but don't want to risk getting forced into the army when he wants to visit the country he were born in.

Read the original post and think a little bit before you post BS.

Is he a coward?

How old are you? 8 years old or something? I think that is one of the most immature and ridiculous statements I have ever read on this forum... "Is he a coward" What is all that about!

Is he a coward?

A rubbish post indeed.

OP, If your step son has just turned 18, you may or may not be aware that they will probably be looking for him any day now as they start sending out the letters around this time for the annual army muster in March or April of each year. Its my understanding that thais normally get called to the first muster after they turn 18, which by the sounds of it will be March/April 2010 for your boy.

Is he a coward?

How old are you? 8 years old or something? I think that is one of the most immature and ridiculous statements I have ever read on this forum... "Is he a coward" What is all that about!

I have two sons in the military

Serving their country and risking their lives to protect my freedom and the freedoms of all the other posters on this board and the freedoms of the family and the boy trying to get out of doing his duty

I am asking the opening poster why his son is trying to avoid military service

This is top of the list in my opinion - I am entitled to an opinion here?

I have two sons in the military

Serving their country and risking their lives to protect my freedom and the freedoms of all the other posters on this board and the freedoms of the family and the boy trying to get out of doing his duty

I am asking the opening poster why his son is trying to avoid military service

This is top of the list in my opinion - I am entitled to an opinion here?

You are entitled to your opinion, but you did more than just express it. You suggested that he might be a coward before hearing his reasons for not wanting to serve in the Thai military.

Maybe he feels he is more American than Thai, and doesn't have as much allegiance to Thailand as he does to the United States (he is trying to become a US citizen after all). Serving in the Thai military does not protect the freedom of US citizens.

The draft in Thailand is based on you being registered on a tabien baan. If not registered on someones tabien baan, you will not get drafted. So they won't call him for the draft while living abroad and he can come to Thailand without a problem for a holiday.

And that was enough. The Op is asking about military service in Thailand, so let us stay on topic. Discussing if someone is a coward or not for not wanting to get drafted is not.

Please read the opening post again

His stepson is Thai (right now) not American

In Thailand there is compulsary military service (with lottery selection)

The opening poster acknowledges this and asks for advice on how his Thai stepson can avoid military service

He accepts this can be done through corruption and asks for further advice

And board members here give it!!!!!!!!

With respect moderator

Does ThaiVisa condone it's members discussing and giving advice on how to cheat, flount Thai law so essentially ThaiVisa is not only condoning illegal activities with regard to Thailand but encouraging it's members to do so?

And that was enough. The Op is asking about military service in Thailand, so let us stay on topic. Discussing if someone is a coward or not for not wanting to get drafted is not.

Please read the opening post again

His stepson is Thai (right now) not American

In Thailand there is compulsary military service (with lottery selection)

The opening poster acknowledges this and asks for advice on how his Thai stepson can avoid military service

He accepts this can be done through corruption and asks for further advice

And board members here give it!!!!!!!!

With respect moderator

Does ThaiVisa condone it's members discussing and giving advice on how to cheat, flount Thai law so essentially ThaiVisa is not only condoning illegal activities with regard to Thailand but encouraging it's members to do so?

No it does not and as soon as someone steps over the line the topic will be closed.

>>I have two sons in the military

In the US ? ,Why ?,could they not get proper jobs ?

Someone suggested one of my posts was the "most ridiculous" he had seen on ThaiVisa

Thaifan2

I find your post one of the most OFFENSIVE remarks I have ever seen on ANY webboard

My sons and thousands of other sons are putting their lives on the line

Some pay the ultimate price

Some are maimed for life

And you suggest they "get a proper job"

SHAME ON YOU Thaifan2

SHAME ON YOU

Is he a coward?

this is truly an idiotic post. even if he were trying to avoid senseless wars like the current ones the us is embroiled in he should be commended for his intelligence