Atm Problem

hi.

went to the atm today and it said 'invalid amount,bangkok bank,

the next one said the same so i pressed the preset 10,000bht button and it gave me the money,

i stil needed more so i went to other machines and they said 'invalid amount' wheather i asked for a specific amount or preset 10,000bht,

so i came home and checked my ballance on the net and there is more than enough in it,

it's a foreign account but i never had problems before

it was monday lunch time so maybe they had no money, but.........

if anywone can help i'd be gratefull

thanks

Suspect they can not contact your bank. Has it gone under? :)

Had this happen years ago when used US banks and was able to get 10k fixed amount one time - which I suspect the VISA allowed without bank confirmation. Next day worked OK.

I have the same problems all the time here withdrawing from ATM's (I even have a thread about it somewhere:) to answer your question yes Bangkok Bank was having problems yesterday (not sure about today, as I havent had the pleasure yet:) with International ATM withdrawals, I called the UK twice to check with Abbey and they gave me the all clear so I went to SCB and it worked fine, I have also been told over the many many phone calls to the UK to only use ATM's that are actually fixed to the bank or inside and NOT to use portable ATM's as this may cause a red flag on the system....hope this helps

just this early morning i went to bangkok bk trying to transfer 100k to a biz friend. the atm said repeatedly.... invalid amount....

i was furious thinking that something happened to my thai baht deposit over the weekend....

at 8:30, i went inside to check on the balance and inquire.... why?

the manager explained that next time if need be.... i should try transferring 50k at a time.... that was the limit that many years ago, that i personally set for myself.... lol

I have the same problems all the time here withdrawing from ATM's (I even have a thread about it somewhere:) to answer your question yes Bangkok Bank was having problems yesterday (not sure about today, as I havent had the pleasure yet:) with International ATM withdrawals, I called the UK twice to check with Abbey and they gave me the all clear so I went to SCB and it worked fine, I have also been told over the many many phone calls to the UK to only use ATM's that are actually fixed to the bank or inside and NOT to use portable ATM's as this may cause a red flag on the system....hope this helps

There is no indicator that signals to any other bank whether a particular ATM is outside or inside. Not sure about "portable" ATM's though - if you find one pse send it my way.

• 2 weeks later...

There is no indicator that signals to any other bank whether a particular ATM is outside or inside. Not sure about "portable" ATM's though - if you find one pse send it my way.

U must b aving a laff u never seen portable ATM's b4 and they DO send red flags, never mentioned ATM's (Fixed) inside or outside giving red flags, read the print next time m8!

Havent had a problem since i have been using fixed ATM's.

I suspect you are talking about non bank ATM's rather than 'portable'.

Portable ATM machines they are everywhere, they move (move = portable) them about to different locations, ie 7/11 or mini mart or inside condo complexes all the main banks have them!!

Edited by beekaykay

Portable ATM for those who dont know what they are, heres an example of 1 of a million companies that sell them to the major banks.

Do a search on google for "Portable ATM" and see for yourself...

http://www.mobilecashmachines.co.uk/portable-atm.html

I'll also tell you why they give International transactions red flags at your home bank as well, because they use wireless telecommunications whereas fixed ATM's use cable......

The things you have to do :)

Edited by beekaykay

The ATM machines used at remote locates are exactly the same makes and models used inside the Bank themselves. And the bank get highly upset when people try to make them portable (remove them to access cash). I suspect a better word would be remote located ATM's

The ATM machines used at remote locates are exactly the same makes and models used inside the Bank themselves. And the bank get highly upset when people try to make them portable (remove them to access cash). I suspect a better word would be remote located ATM's

Like i keep trying to tell you the proper name for them is "Portable ATM"

The web link is to a UK company (not operating in Thailand) which does provide portable ATMs. Like Porta-Loos - they are taken to one event and then moved to another event. This is not the same as the ATMs which are installed in Thailand at 7-11 and the likes. As Lopburi3 points out, these are the same machines as those that are indoor in the branches as well - from Diebold and NCR mainly. The question of whether a wireless line or fixed line is used is UNKNOWN to the card issuing bank and is NOT reported by the ATM owner as part of the transaction.

Some banks here do have what is referred to here as mobile ATMs. They are typically installed in vans together with currency exchange service and move from location to location on a fixed schedule.

The web link is to a UK company (not operating in Thailand) which does provide portable ATMs. Like Porta-Loos - they are taken to one event and then moved to another event. This is not the same as the ATMs which are installed in Thailand at 7-11 and the likes. As Lopburi3 points out, these are the same machines as those that are indoor in the branches as well - from Diebold and NCR mainly. The question of whether a wireless line or fixed line is used is UNKNOWN to the card issuing bank and is NOT reported by the ATM owner as part of the transaction.

Some banks here do have what is referred to here as mobile ATMs. They are typically installed in vans together with currency exchange service and move from location to location on a fixed schedule.

lol, tell me something i dont know....However a wireless line IS used on these portable ATM machines (this has been confirmed by Abbey UK) also the link provided was just for an example do a google search and see for yourself there are hundreds of portable ATM suppliers whether it be NCR or Diebold, u never heard and seen on your bank book PATM b4? this means Portable ATM, i have a feeling you have never actually seen a portable ATM this is where the confusion is kicking in, I am not referring to the ATMs that are built into a wall at 7/11 I am referring to the real movable (Portable) ATMs which just plug in (with a back up source, I have been here for over 15yrs now you need to take a look around:-) i.e if you have ever been to SV City in Rama 3 you will see 2 portable ATM machines in there running from a wireless setup and basically fully portable.

Edited by beekaykay