Real Long Term Overstay

What is the best way to leave the country if you have been on long term overstay ? In this particular case it is 8 years.

Is it just to go to Suvarnabhumi and pay your 20k fine ?

Original passport & immigration slip is available.

Have people ever been stopped from leaving the country by immigration control at the airport ?

Is there anyone who can provide professional assistance in order to ensure a hassle-free departure ?

Grateful for any assistance that can be provided.

A legal firm such as Sunbelt can be used in such a situation as there is a chance you will be detained until a police check can be made of your past. This was quite often done even for less than one year overstay in the not too distant past but seems less likely recently.

The fine is baht.

A legal firm such as Sunbelt can be used in such a situation as there is a chance you will be detained until a police check can be made of your past. This was quite often done even for less than one year overstay in the not too distant past but seems less likely recently.

The fine is baht.

Completely agreed... they helped -successfully- several "acquaintances" who where in worst cases scenario than this one...

Do not show up... Get the money ready... And let them do their job :)

And don't do it again...

Read the post under "what part airport to pay overstay". The last entry a man 21 years overstay. 20,000 baht and got on the airplane.

I know an American that did the same 21 years overstay and had to go back to America, it cost him 20k THB at the airport, took him about 20 minutes to get through and at this stage it cost him a bottle of Johnny walker from the duty free to give to the immigration officer, but no real problems. Arrived back in Thailand a week later with no problems getting back in also.

And who says crime does not pay. At least in Thailand it does. :)

There is no evidence to suspect that the proposed overstayer is a criminal. I don't think overstay is viewed as a crime.

I can imagine this scenario actually for the poor elderly. They can't really afford to go back and get a new visa so they begin the overstay. Some probably think they will die before anyone needs to find out and I bet many do, but something happened to force him back to his homeland.

Overstay is overstay, whether 1 day or 50 years. Even the Thais recognise you cannot fine someone a set amount each day forever and that is why there is a Bt20,000 cap. If this guy would have had to pay 500*365*8=Bt1,460,000 then I bet he would not be returning.

The real problem is the fact that living in Thailand, particularly when working and not being retired and having the requisite income is actually quite expensive. As is going back "home" to get a new non imm visa. IMHO, there should be a more realistic solution.

There is no evidence to suspect that the proposed overstayer is a criminal. I don't think overstay is viewed as a crime.

I can imagine this scenario actually for the poor elderly. They can't really afford to go back and get a new visa so they begin the overstay. Some probably think they will die before anyone needs to find out and I bet many do, but something happened to force him back to his homeland.

Overstay is overstay, whether 1 day or 50 years. Even the Thais recognise you cannot fine someone a set amount each day forever and that is why there is a Bt20,000 cap. If this guy would have had to pay 500*365*8=Bt1,460,000 then I bet he would not be returning.

The real problem is the fact that living in Thailand, particularly when working and not being retired and having the requisite income is actually quite expensive. As is going back "home" to get a new non imm visa. IMHO, there should be a more realistic solution.

Good and balanced post.

Overstay is hardly a "hanging" offence.

Regards

Will

To my point of view the only problem with overstaying is that immigration rules are constantly changing... and this, without notice.

While living in Indonesia in the 90's overstaying fine was IDR25,000 (a mere $ 1.5 at the height of the monetary crisis). Closed visa runs had to been made either in Singapore or Darwin. Thus a lot of people on "extended vacation" choose the overstay solution.

Then from one day to another, they change the rules and fine became $25/day and 2 years blacklist if no valid excuse!

I can tell you that a lot of people get trapped and not only money talking... being unable to visit their relatives for a long period.

Agreed with Camelot, the risk is too high and the cost to stay legally is insignificant... but once again, it's just my point of view! :)

Good and balanced post.

Overstay is hardly a "hanging" offence.

Regards

Will

Correct - two years in jail and a 20,000 baht fine is the most you can get under the Immigration Act.

• 3 weeks later...

^Indeed any of the advice on these 'overstay' cases should be for one to go and hand him/herself into the authorities immediately.

8 years overstay, disgraceful, shows a complete lack of respect for the countries laws, hardly just a case of someone miscounting their days or incorrectly booking a return flight or something.

My friend was here and had a 7 year overstay.

He departed 2 months ago, no problems.

Go to the airport with 20kbht and a plane ticket.

Pay the money on leaving and you are unlikely to have a problem.

Do anything else and you will most likely be arrested.

He didn't even get a red mark in his passport, everyone was more than happy with the result, apparently it happens all the time.

• 3 weeks later...
Was no problems at all in leaving , immigration was very friendly and informed me that it would be no problems at all to come back !

Congrats!

A few questions for others in the know:

-It was stated in the thread that you cannot leave the country without proof of entry: what if you legitimately loose your passport? You must then stay in Thailand forever? I know this isn't the case as I know somebody who lost their passport, got a new one at the Bangkok embassy and has since left the country. I don't believe he overstayed but I don't see how he could possibly have proved that...

-21 years, LOL. I really laughed out loud at that number. What would happen to such a person if they were picked up some place and not at the airport, would they get a jail sentence or just be held until they could arrange a plane ticket out of the country? Anybody know of any cases like this?

-Maybe the OP can answer this one: How do people manage to live here for that long without having proper permission to stay in your passport? Just in the last few months I've had my passport checked multiple times and had to show people where my current stamp was and prove that I was allowed to be in the country: at hotels, when signing my lease etc. Are you just using your girlfriends' information for everything or laying low and staying in a home you own or what?

-Is this 20,000 Baht max penalty a new phenomenon and something that has just started happening the last couple of years, or is this a long standing Thai policy? What I'm getting at is, is this something that is likely not to change in the future? Could one start overstaying now and be reasonably confident when they go to leave in several years or more they'll simply have to pay some smallish fine and leave without problems? Or could they suddenly change the law and put such people in prison without notice?

Edited by DegenFarang