Mosquitoes

The Gentleman Scamp

ONE coil has more toxins(no not taxins) than 75 to 130 odd cigs.I always thought they were saver than sprays

Well read it here

http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/docs/2003/6286/abstract.html

Ah, ok, the internet...

Original quote:

For example, burning one mosquito coil would release the same amount of PM2.5 mass as burning 75-137 cigarettes.

I'd better stop smoking them then. By the way, does "PM2.5" mean the same as "toxin"? (Answer: no, it means "things of a certain size".)

Allow me to provide my own summary of the science behind this article:

The actual effective substance in the coils is grudgingly acknowledged to be completely harmless. However coils also contain "stuff that burns". This stuff that burns can be almost anything. [bTW I've heard that at least one Thai company uses buffalo shit]. They did some experiments with complicated equipment to extract the emissions and concentrate them. Then they did some calculations based on U.S. EPA construction standards to guess how well-sealed the rooms are.

Their findings: for two particular measurements, a coil in your room can be compared to passive smoking. Note that these are NOT measurements of tar, the main danger in cigarette smoke. (I'm too lazy to research whether they are in fact significant dangers in themselves.) However they conceded that for their other measurements, the coils were "substantially lower" (no scary comparisions made in that case).

They then go on to discuss how conservative their figures are, because they don't take into account smoke from other sources, such as smoking, and cooking fires.

Never mind, I'm sure these students have bright careers ahead of them in the electronic mosquito repellent industry that they promote without research, at the end of their article.

P.S. I'm still shaking my head at using them indoors in the first place. I mean, they just aren't NICE.