Perception Of Pattaya

sinbad

Driving through the place recently (several times on business) I was quite amazed at the number of old codgers walking around with younger Thai girls. I expected it, but some that I saw really blew me away.......like really old guys.....say well into their 80's staggering along barely able to walk and in tow ......yep the young Thai woman.

Good for them!! If they were spending their last few years in the UK for instance they would be hidden from the world inside an old peoples home. Their families would no longer want to go and see them but Gordon the Gopher Brown would still be taking as much tax from them as he could. Can you blame old people for wanting to spend their remaining days in a kind of paradise. OK, they have to pay these young ladies to take care of them, but they are getting a much better service for their money than anywhere else in the world. I'm not in my 80's yet by a long way, but it was one of the considerations I made when I decided to come and live here, that I wouldn't be pushed into an O-F-H to finish my days. At least these girls who look after them can call themselves nurses as opposed to B/Gs LOL. :o:D

I go to Pattaya for good quality dog food and hand-rearing food for parrots. When I go down there from Buriram I drive down and my wife's brother drives back and we do it in one day - such is our dislike for the place due to the fact that we can go for a beer together anywhere in Buriram Province and not have the total p*** taken out of us but in Pattaya we get so many ridiculous things said and strange looks (from males and females both farang and Thai) that we'd rather get back to the village for last orders ... LAST ORDERS - NO SUCH THING WHERE WE ARE!

:D

Thank the lord that the dogs and parrots are at least happy with Pattaya.

Why do you get strange looks and ridiculous things said to you??... I can`t understand this statement as the people in Pattaya tend to accept everyone...You`re not walking around with the parrots on your shoulder are you?? :o

I go to Pattaya for good quality dog food and hand-rearing food for parrots. When I go down there from Buriram I drive down and my wife's brother drives back and we do it in one day - such is our dislike for the place due to the fact that we can go for a beer together anywhere in Buriram Province and not have the total p*** taken out of us but in Pattaya we get so many ridiculous things said and strange looks (from males and females both farang and Thai) that we'd rather get back to the village for last orders ... LAST ORDERS - NO SUCH THING WHERE WE ARE!

:D

Thank the lord that the dogs and parrots are at least happy with Pattaya.

Why do you get strange looks and ridiculous things said to you??... I can`t understand this statement as the people in Pattaya tend to accept everyone...You`re not walking around with the parrots on your shoulder are you?? :o

Even a Dane would look twice at a full grown man with a dog on his lap and parrot on his shoulder.

It seems that opinion on this issue, as portrayed by those who have responded, is weighted towards me. Had there not been some serious collaberation between two members who wasted space with a few strange, cowardly indirect comments, then I would have concluded that opinion was equally divided, as would be expected with a debating point such as this.

Just for the record, my people sources are completely genuine and reliable. But you'll notice I didn't quote any statistics other than the fact that there are over 3000 bars in Pattaya. Statistics tend not to be reliable. For example, although bars have to have licence there are no published figures, or anyway of finding out. Obviously, the authorities don't want to publish the fact that the number of bars is increasing when at the same time they are marketing a different and cleaner image for Pattaya. It is estimated there are over 3000 bars.

I was very interested to see how people would respond to the Guardian article, and genuinely interested to see what people thought. Indeed, I also wanted to incite some contraversial debate. There are some serious issues to consider, and maybe it will make some people, including myself, question a few things.

Just one thing, some people seemed to have got confused when they moved away from the point by making comparisons to loutish behaviour in places like London, Ibiza and Benidorm. Indeed, this is very valid and true point, but two wrongs don't make a right.

Fourbaht, no hard feelings. Although I attacked your first response, I actually agree with much of what you wrote in the second. I don't completely hate Pattaya as some peope have suggested, but there is a side to it, which we all know about, which is not very nice; it goes way outside the spectrum of the article - as someone mentioned: corruption, mafias, child sex, etc - and these things will only change if people talk about them rather than pretend they don't exist or ignore them. At the end of the day the people most affected otherwise, are normal expats trying to make an honest go of it here, and girls from poverty stricken areas.

It seems that opinion on this issue, as portrayed by those who have responded, is weighted towards me. Had there not been some serious collaberation between two members who wasted space with a few strange, cowardly indirect comments, then I would have concluded that opinion was equally divided, as would be expected with a debating point such as this.

Just for the record, my people sources are completely genuine and reliable. But you'll notice I didn't quote any statistics other than the fact that there are over 3000 bars in Pattaya. Statistics tend not to be reliable. For example, although bars have to have licence there are no published figures, or anyway of finding out.  Obviously, the authorities don't want to publish the fact that the number of bars is increasing when at the same time they are marketing a different and cleaner image for Pattaya. It is estimated there are over 3000 bars.

I was very interested to see how people would respond to the Guardian article, and genuinely interested to see what people thought. Indeed, I also wanted to incite some contraversial debate. There are some serious issues to consider, and maybe it will make some people, including myself, question a few things.

Just one thing, some people seemed to have got confused when they moved away from the point by making comparisons to loutish behaviour in places like London, Ibiza and Benidorm. Indeed, this is very valid and true point, but two wrongs don't make a right.

Fourbaht, no hard feelings. Although I attacked your first response, I actually agree with much of what you wrote in the second. I don't completely hate Pattaya as some peope have suggested, but there is a side to it, which we all know about, which is not very nice; it goes way outside the spectrum of the article - as someone mentioned: corruption, mafias, child sex, etc - and these things will only change if people talk about them rather than pretend they don't exist or ignore them. At the end of the day the people most affected otherwise, are normal expats trying to make an honest go of it here, and girls from poverty stricken areas.

Seems we get to read this twice- dbl post! :o