An American Who Cannot Find A Teaching Job

350Z

I've been living in Bangkok nearly a year and have decided to look for a job teaching. I am currently working for an individual here I no longer care to work for. I have 13 years USA corporate experience working for large Fortune 500 at the manager level. I have applied for teaching job after teaching job on Ajarn and other sites and no one is calling me. Why? I know I do not have a TEFL etc but from what I had read on this board if you have atleast a Bachelors degree(which I do) and alot of experience you can get a job teaching. What am I doing wrong?

If you haven't had any TEFL training or teaching experience, you should be applying to the lower end of things- language schools, ECC, etc. Otherwise if you're still having trouble, it *is* the wrong time of year. Furthermore, especially in Bangkok, things have been getting stricter- Thai 'culture' courses, etc.

It is the wrong time of the year, for sure. The other thing to remember is that simply posting your resume won't necessarily get you an interview. Check the adverts and apply to them and do so as soon as they appear. I believe it costs schools to check resumes on the site you mentioned.

People with a background in business aren't the best candidates for teaching, especially at the management level. Too much experience in the wrong area. We've had a few and they are more trouble than they are worth. No experience in teaching but seem to know how the whole school should be run.

I am certainly not saying that is you, but make sure your ready to settle into a classroom and subject and be happy with it.

As mentioned, pick up some language school work. It counts for experience.

Best of luck and welcome to the forum.

Keep us posted, lots of people can help you out.

What am I doing wrong?

The other prerequisite beyond the BA might be that native-English speaker one, but by your writing style, I reckon you'd qualify okay.

For people like you and me I reckon there remain two viable options:

1. Goto Vietnam and teach English because you can.

2. Find a vocation in Thailand that doesn't have to suffer for the stupidity of the MoE.

Maybe you could "tone down" your resume?

Instead of saying "corporate blah blah blah", just say "accounting"...or something less likely to attract the wrong attention.

Your degree is still very useful.

I agree with others in that if you have not had any experience teaching English, try to get a job at a private school somewhere. The money may not be great at first but private institutions are not subject to the same requirements as government institutions (culture courses, licenses etc) & you will gain valuable & necessary experience.

Whatever you do, make sure that you get an appropriate visa & work permit.

Phatcharanan has a good point in her question.

At the university that I taught at, if you are not white and caucasian, you are not considered a native English speaker. We had blacks from the states who got lower pay because they were not considered native English speakers. Even one lady from Hawaii was in the same situation.

I know it is discrimination but there is nothing you can do to change the mindset of some people.

Edited by puyaidon

There most certainly is discrimination, however, a lot of schools base it on the passport you carry rather than the color of your skin. One administrator that I know has no trouble with black people, but he sure has a thorn in his paw for anybody whose ethnic origins are from India.

There most certainly is discrimination, however, a lot of schools base it on the passport you carry rather than the color of your skin. One administrator that I know has no trouble with black people, but he sure has a thorn in his paw for anybody whose ethnic origins are from India.

So what if an applicant has 3 passports (like me)? Do i get to pick which one to use or will the school pick? I ask because I think going by passport is a rather stupid idea.

The world is probably filled with lots of stupid ideas. Gov'ts seem to be particularly adept at coming up with silly ones.

The passport represents the nationality and it is the 'key' that is used to determine if you come from a country where English is the primary language. If you have 3 passports, I would assume that the one you would need to use is the one that you entered the country on.

Discrimination is almost always a bad idea.

The topic is about someone having trouble finding a job. The current question is whether or not their may be a racial issue involved. The OP states he is American.

Tough situation

I do not suggest getting the TEFL

It really will not help that much for the effort

On the other hand if you have a spare 50-60K baht and the time,

it can not hurt.

I suggest you find a very good school near you and go there.

Ask who the best teachers are there and hire one to be your mentor/consultant.

They can fill you in on what you need to know and what the challenges are.

Do not be cheap. Pay them 1000B/hr or more.

It will be worth it and much cheaper than the TEFL course.

Also you could volunteer to substitute teach at a well chosen school for free.

This might get you in the door.

Be sure you can teach English as that will be the easiest position to get.

Math, Physics, Biology, Gen Science all require some specific knowledge and experience.

Good luck

BTW, the Language schools near Siam will take anyone whose has a pulse.

Pay is low but you will get your feet wet fast.

Edited by paulfr

If you really want to teach, not just get a big salary, REALLY WANT TO TEACH. Move to a small village where they probably have never had a falang English teacher before. Go to the local government school and speak to the director. Tell them you will work for 20,000 baht a month. Many government schools in small villages will provide free housing, of course it is the same standard as provided to the Thai teaching staff. It would probably take you about 30 minutes to find a job. Again, this is if your number one interest is to teach. If your interested in a big salary, nice serviced apartment, morning coffee at Starbucks, dinner at Sizzler and a weekly trip to Burger King, don't know how to help you out there. Like my daddy always said " a low paying job is better than a no paying job" and "it's better to have a boss you don't like than not to have a boss".

Good Luck

With a business degree and managerial experience in a fortune 500 company, I would try submitting your resume to Universities with International programs.

You may be much happier teaching business classes than English classes. That being said, this is a bad time (middle of the term), but if you put out your resume to all of these universities, you may be able to get a couple of classes for the term starting in May.

Its been a while since I have spoken with anyone doing this, but a couple of years ago, I was told by a professor that Mahidol Univeristy was paying 1000thb per hour and Chula was a little bit more. Not sure about Thammasat...

If you haven't had any TEFL training or teaching experience, you should be applying to the lower end of things- language schools, ECC, etc. Otherwise if you're still having trouble, it *is* the wrong time of year. Furthermore, especially in Bangkok, things have been getting stricter- Thai 'culture' courses, etc.

Hah, no offence taken justwannateach, as one at the "lower end of things", ie working for a language school, life is interesting at the bottom of the pond. I completed TEFL just over a year ago, prior to that, many years experience as a Technical Instructor in the aviation world. As there were very few opportunities to teach where I live, I opted to work part time for a language school in the area. I then was offered a contract for full time employment in another province which I accepted.

Your advice is good to the OP, a language school is a good place to cut your teeth as an English Language Instructor, which will make you a much more attractive proposition in the marketplace, if you can hack it. The hours are long and a typical working week is 25+ hours loading, over 6 days at all levels, my maximum was 36 hours in a week.

For example, as well as the usual Mega 1,2,3,4 (uuugh) and New Cutting Edge (ditto), I have taught a 30 hour conversational course at an engineering firm, no one book to work from, develop and deliver the course with a final exam.

TOEFL and IELTS private students, very enjoyable and rewarding. I also teach 2 hours a day at an Anubahn and Prathom Monday-Friday. This I have found to be the most rewarding by far and is the direction I would like to take in the future.

I had never really considered that as an option, but the happiness in the classroom and the satisfaction after a good lesson (not had a bad one yet), getting the kids to speak and interact, shoot I would consider doing it for free. I have a very good Thai assistant, a grad on 3 months work experience, we work as a team and without her I think I may well have crashed and burned.

To conclude, there is a fair amount of drudgery working in a language school, there are times I would happily commit Hari Kari, however the successes more than compensate for that.

I think one day soon I will be like the other crap and float to the surface of the pond, I have had offers and in a couple of months I will probably move on. I would like to express to the OP though, a language school is a viable option and you will certainly discover whether you are cut out for teaching.

Good Luck to you OP, I am sure there are opportunities for you especially in Bangkok. As another poster suggested, tone down the CV, stress the fact if you have mentored or trained people before. If and when you get to interview, smile a lot and be upbeat without being overpowering or superior.

Kindest Regards

Pondlife (bottom of)

Its been a while since I have spoken with anyone doing this, but a couple of years ago, I was told by a professor that Mahidol Univeristy was paying 1000thb per hour and Chula was a little bit more. Not sure about Thammasat...

If it's a proper international programme, 1,000 baht an hour would be the absolute minimum.

I have worked at a language school on weekends for many, many years. I just recently turned my classes over to another teacher. One of the reasons I did so was because it was such a rewarding and learning process for me. I had students all the way from 3 to older adults. That spectrum gives you a good idea of what works with what age and how people actually acquire and use a language. For me, it was professional development more than work.

As far as looking for different work, take care to make sure you stay legal in the country. We had a guy who left a very well paying job and came to work for us in a specialized field. I was pretty sure something was wrong, but when talking to him, it was clear he just viewed his situation as too tenuous and couldn't take the visa runs--which cost money and cut down on his income.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

• 2 weeks later...
No harm in language schools- most of us have been there at some time or another working abroad (including me)- but it *is* the lower end of things, both pay-wise and professionally- a good place to start out, and a good place to move on from.

Hey, message me if you still want a job. I was just finished developing an online application System for a company looking for teachers. There are lots of possitions available. Needless to say i am friends with the owner so.. get in touch with me and we can take it from there. Cheerio :)

Phatcharanan has a good point in her question.

At the university that I taught at, if you are not white and caucasian

I know it is discrimination but there is nothing you can do to change the mindset of some people.

"At the university where I taught" is correct English. You actually taught English at a university and you have a college degree?

I walked into a high school room one day to substitute teach. The teacher had a banner across the side wall:

Thank God for the musicians, the artists, the dancers, the poets, and the writers. They are the ones that make the changes in our society. Why is it that they make the changes? They make the changes because they are crazy enough to think they can.

When you do not speak out against discrimination, you are just as guilty as the ones that continue to injustice. When the country of Thailand decides they want good teachers they will stop the nonsense. Race and age discrimination are a poison to a healthy society.

When you begin a teaching job in California you receive a temporary contract. This means that you can walk into the office on Friday pm and they can tell you you are being replaced Monday am. After 90 days you receive a probationary contract for two years. After you pass probation, it is very difficult for them to fire you.

It is a fair system.

I don't wish to protrude

555, sorry Arthur, I am not being mean and I know here in the teaching forum we are not meant to correct people, but that is one of the funniest typos I have seen... I have a very amusing image in my head of a man 'protruding' at the wrong moment and then excusing himself!

I started at Kindergarten, did not like the job as the school was just about money. Moved into teaching at a Language center, money was not great but enough to get by on. Moved into a Prathom school, great loved every minute of it, but gave it up to

be a Manager at a Language centre, this eventually did not work out, as money for the owners was a big issue. Decided to move

on into teaching at a Technical University, great loved every minute, but contract not renewed as I was too friendly with the

students, but hey they talked in English all the time when I was around them.

Now in another University with some great colleagues, all the jobs were found on ajarn.com.

Just keep looking and one day something will come along.

I suggest you find a very good school near you and go there. Ask who the best teachers are there and hire one to be your mentor/consultant.

They can fill you in on what you need to know and what the challenges are. Do not be cheap. Pay them 1000B/hr or more.

It will be worth it and much cheaper than the TEFL course.

oh come on, has nobody had the same thought about this??? dont bother getting a recognised qualification, pay an existing teacher 1000b an hour to give you gossip???

possibly the worst piece of advice i have ever seen since the find a good girl to be your wife down at nana plaza thread.

(joking about the good place to find a girl friend)

BTW IJWT, good to see you are still around.