Boat Across The Water To Hua Hin From Pattaya

syd barrett

Has anyone any information on a boat that goes across the bay from Pattaya to Hua Hin, which would be a great idea and a direct route.

I did see on this forum some time ago, news about a new boat service Pattaya-Hua Hin.

I did a search with the words Hua Hin but drew a blank. What is the problem with the search function?

Also, would it be possible to jet-ski across to Hua Hin? How much jet-ski fuel would be needed? Obviously I'd have a life-jacket but I would not like to run out of fuel.

can't comment on the hua hin/pattaya boat. but...

you might want to hug the coast to jet ski to Hua Hin. give it a shot. i'm sure you can find a shop on Thepprasit that will weld you an auto-pilot device of some sort. put that shit on cruise control, set it on auto-pilot. take cat naps and you are there in 12 hours.

have them fit a back rest into the seat. maybe get one of those fancy racing seats. oh, and a cup holder for your beer. lord knows you'll already have enough water...

Edited by anothertorres

There is an estate agent in front of the Chateau Royle complex in Jomtien, that has had a "Boat To Hua Hin" sign up for about a year now.

I have made occaisional enquiries, and they always tell me that they are still negotiating the lease of a boat.... Don't hold your breath.

I used to use the high speed Wave Piercer ferry about 20 years ago. It did a triangular trip from Bangkok-Pattaya-Hua Hin.

A great journey up the estuary to Krungthep.

It never made any money, and was subsequently transferred to Phuket, to operate on the Penang run.

I think the boat was/is ready to go from Hua Hin to Pattaya this year but one BIG problem has arisen which is the usual "'where is my ฿1,000,000 BIB' cut, the 'You need a special paper for permission to use a boat for public transport' that will be ฿1,000,000 please,'I need to check everything again' thats ฿1,000,000 please".

Goes on and on.

T.I.T

syd barrat, your avatar is a silly as your 'jet ski' question

That avatar is a photograph of small plastic sculpture of what I look like in real-life, although my hair is greying now.

Next time you see me, say hello!

:)

i will Syd, you shouldn't be difficult to spot.............

You want to rent a jet ski in Pattaya and try and take it to Hua Hin? i take it your just joking.

Actually, he could, but i doubt someone will rent out a jet ski for that purpose.

It's not more than about 100 kilometers to Hua Hin, and i think a normal jet ski takes about 50 Liters in the tank and the petrol comsumtion is about 9 L/H.

So if the weather is right and Buddha is whit him..... :)

I think the boat was/is ready to go from Hua Hin to Pattaya this year but one BIG problem has arisen which is the usual "'where is my ฿1,000,000 BIB' cut, the 'You need a special paper for permission to use a boat for public transport' that will be ฿1,000,000 please,'I need to check everything again' thats ฿1,000,000 please".

Goes on and on.

T.I.T

Not at all!

The reason why they are not operational is the fact that during the test runs the boat didn't reach the speed it should have made as calculated by the designers, by a big enough margin to make the boat unusable.

Apparently the builders have deviated from the original plans resulting in poor waterflow around the screws resulting in cavitation.

And apparently it is a rather expensive problem to rectify!

Goes on and on.

T.I.T

Not at all!

The reason why they are not operational is the fact that during the test runs the boat didn't reach the speed it should have made as calculated by the designers, by a big enough margin to make the boat unusable.

Apparently the builders have deviated from the original plans resulting in poor waterflow around the screws resulting in cavitation.

And apparently it is a rather expensive problem to rectify!

Ahhhh, cavitation...!

(Khun Monteee: what the heck is cavitation, please?? And:)

Do you think they can/will eventually operate the boat? Any ideas of the propsed R/T fare??) Thanks!

Wow. And here I assumed the vessel was traversing the gulf on a regular basis and was thinking of making the journey myself for a mini-vacation.

For those of you much more in the know, are they actually still planning on launching service? i.e. Are they rectifying the rather expensive problem?

Ahhhh, cavitation...!

Do you think they can/will eventually operate the boat? Any ideas of the propsed R/T fare??) Thanks!

Sorry, tought most people watched submarine movies :):D

Cavitation is where vapour (gas) bubbles form in a liquid where the pressure drops sharply.

A propeller sucks water, so at the suction side the pressure drops. If not enough water can flow to the propeller, the pressure drops enough to get those vapor bubbles. This greatly reduces the effectiveness of the propeller.

In submarines they don't worry about the loss of thrust, but of the noise this makes!

Will it go into service? Not any time soon methinks as the owners seem to be in a bit of a quarrel on who will pay for the rectification of the problem!

with the Southern Ringroad completed, the drive to HH now takes just under 4 hours. No BKK traffic, just a smooth ride.

If there was a passenger boat service, how long would that journey be, approximately?

I heard that many years ago there was a service, did anyone use it?

with the Southern Ringroad completed, the drive to HH now takes just under 4 hours. No BKK traffic, just a smooth ride.

If there was a passenger boat service, how long would that journey be, approximately?

Looks to be about 100km's (54 nautical miles) in a straight line from Bali Hai pier to HH. Speedboat or fast CAT could do it in around 2 hours on a smooth day. Normal ferry - maybe 5 hours.

Ahhhh, cavitation...!

Sorry, tought most people watched submarine movies :):D

Cavitation is where vapour (gas) bubbles form in a liquid where the pressure drops sharply.

A propeller sucks water, so at the suction side the pressure drops. If not enough water can flow to the propeller, the pressure drops enough to get those vapor bubbles. This greatly reduces the effectiveness of the propeller.

In submarines they don't worry about the loss of thrust, but of the noise this makes!

Will it go into service? Not any time soon methinks as the owners seem to be in a bit of a quarrel on who will pay for the rectification of the problem!

That really sucks for them. Better one of the screws needed a rebuild. The fuel consumption would be astronomical if it is cavitation. The engineers should have stuck to the original plan. Even with outboards on a speedboat the ride is very irritating if the prop keeps on going in & out of the water. What a shame It really looked like they did a great job & I am sure to rectify the situation they will have to spend !/3 or more to correct that problem. I wonder why they wanted to use this ship fo a ferry to hua-hin when the last company didn't make it.

Looks to be about 100km's (54 nautical miles) in a straight line from Bali Hai pier to HH. Speedboat or fast CAT could do it in around 2 hours on a smooth day. Normal ferry - maybe 5 hours.

right! I do know the manufacturer and it would be indeed just over two hours for the transit.

I took a similar ferry to Koh Tao last week, in bad weather not a fun ride whatsoever. Many people reaching for the plastic bag.

What a shame It really looked like they did a great job & I am sure to rectify the situation they will have to spend !/3 or more to correct that problem.

For the technical minded, what they did was put in different (wider) engines.

They didn't fit in properly (cat's have very narrow hulls), so they widened the hull where the engine goes.

So now they do not have a long straight hull narrowing gently towards the rear (and the screws), but actually suddenly widening into a bulge just before the screws.

This "bulge" actually deflects the water flow away from the screws once the cat starts speeding up. The faster you push it, the less water flow to the screws.

So you get 10 knots at 20% power and 13 knots at 100% power!

Monty I feel for the poor guys that thought this would be a better plan. It sounds like the only way out is to rebuild it back to the original plan. Even if it moves they would never be able to afford the amount of fuel used.

Unfortunately the designers use mathematical equations(same as load stress for structures in buildings) & if you change the design you are usually 1 step forward 4 steps back. They did the same mistake on the Lin Wah in Maui. It was a single hull- but they rearranged the engines & it actually worked against each other resulting in 70+% more consumption to get the vessel to move. It sat for 3 almost 4 years till the ship got battered up by the storms & decomposed. There wouldn't be jobs for engineers if there wasn't a need.

good info your giving.....Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...
If a fast boat can make it in 2 hrs, Why not a small group of people, say 10? get together and hire a fast comfortable boat for the trip?? Would fuel cost make small groups impractacle??

Boats are notoriously inefficient in miles covered per liter of fuel.

They are only economical due to the amount of cargo or people they can carry, so yes, small groups are generally expensive to move over water!

And "fast comfortable" boats tend to be extremely expensive!