Royal Flora 2006

iainiain101

We went to the Royal Flora 2006 exibition on Saturday for the first time in 3 years. It is obviously still open (except Mondays) and now free to get in. A lot of the original exhibitions are still there, and new ones seem to be being put in. There is a 'bus' with multiple stop and get back on options for 20 Baht to take you around the place.

I am not a flower lover, but the family all enjoyed it and it is a pleasant time of year to walk around it.

Just thought I would add this for things to do.

Iain

Lots of Lazers bouncing off the clouds late last night so something is definatley happening there, or maybe at the Night Safari, but its been a long time since I last saw activity like this.

Photos of it were in the Post this morning. Celebration for his majesty's birthday.

What's the best way to get to Royal Flora from the city? In 2006 you could go to the Orchid Hotel and get a van from there. Is that still an option?

Coming back wasn't a problem in 2006. You just went to the parking lot with all the song thaews, told them where you were going (pick a major hotel near your home) and someone would direct you to a song thaew going to that part of town. I expect it will be the same this year, especially if you leave in the evening when everyone else does.

Just need to find a low-cost way to get there this year.

If you've liked the Royal Flora exhibit, another place to hit would be Krisida Doi that is out toward Samoung a few kilometers west of Canal Road. A much smaller garden, but a nice place to take visitors and have a bit to eat. You can walk the gardens in 15 minutes at a fast pace but they are very nice. It is very popular with the Thai tour bus route at this time.

Nancy.... Regarding getting out to the Royal Flora exhibit, you might want to try to see if the red taxis are leaving from Prasert Land like they did in the past few years. That is the area between Nimenhemin and Canal Road (toward the mountain) from Smoothie Blues. I've seen 4-5 red taxis lined up there recently and you might ask them. Most of them will wait for you for a fee if they are not on a regular cycle.

Went last night, stayed several hours and had a decent meal there to. The gardens lit up at night give good photo opportunities. The Orchid house was well worth a visit.

The folk show was excellent, particularly the play put on by a Suphanburi drama school. So good that one could understand the comedy without having to have fluent Thai.

The groups were quite professional, a few ad libs to the audience, and some friendly banter about Isaan and Lanna dialects (languages) contrasting with Hi-so Thai.

Excellent

theres something going on at the royal flora site soon but i dont read thai

pic of truck taken 30 nov 09

can you or your wife tell me what its about and when ? .... coz i dont know

dave2

The garden is open. Actually it was open already every day except Mondays.

"Ratchapruek Royal Flora 2009

Join in showing loyalty and love to the King

30 November - 10 December 2009

At the Ratchapruek Garden, Chiang Mai.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Went last night and it was quite busy. It's a 10 day or so event with cultural shows, concerts, orchid competitions, a market outside selling all sorts of OTOP stuff. Took the little bus around. Obviously not as busy as 2006, but because free, seems to have sparked quite a lot of interest.

Also, the flyer says firework display every evening, could see those being set up behind the temple and they looked quite substantial!

The cultural show, concerts start etc from 6pm to 10pm, but the place is open all day....to be fair the gardens/flowers must need an amazing amount of work to keep them in tiptop condition and there are A LOT.

Also, the place has lots of different 'zones' eg. rainforest tropical zone etc etc.

Worth a visit.

GF just reading the flyer to me on Sat 5th on the King's Birthday is the ONLY day with fireworks......by all accounts it seems it is going to be a big firework display something like 9 sets of 999 'explosions'.....sounds pretty good!

GF just reading the flyer to me on Sat 5th on the King's Birthday is the ONLY day with fireworks......by all accounts it seems it is going to be a big firework display something like 9 sets of 999 'explosions'.....sounds pretty good!

We were there last night. They advertise fireworks each evening.

I love the orchid display. There are so many varieties in many different colours.

Floral_090.sized.jpg

Floral_074.sized.jpg

Floral_091.sized.jpg

Floral_093.sized.jpg

Floral_114.sized.jpg

Some good pics, Ian. When were they taken?

I'm not sure that the display is still there. I did not see it. There was a small orchid exhibition which was extreemly good.

And as I said the folk shows were very professional and the floodlit gardens gave good photo ops.

Fireworks good too last night. Can't understand why some posts indicate there wern't any. Usually they are posts from people who were not there. Some posts are strange.

What time do they launch the fireworks?

T_Dog -- thanks for replying with a lead on how to get a song thaew to Royal Flora. Where is Prasert Land? On Huey Kaew or Suthep Rd? North or south side of the road. I expect Huey Kaew, since you said it's between Nimm. and Canal Rd, but I'm checking, because it isn't listed on my "Big Map". Neither is Smoothie Blues. Thanks!

After the folk show

9.45 every night,also plenty of songtaos back into Chiang Mai in the parking lot near the food stalls.

T_Dog -- thanks for replying with a lead on how to get a song thaew to Royal Flora. Where is Prasert Land? On Huey Kaew or Suthep Rd? North or south side of the road. I expect Huey Kaew, since you said it's between Nimm. and Canal Rd, but I'm checking, because it isn't listed on my "Big Map". Neither is Smoothie Blues. Thanks!

Smoothie Blues is on Nimmenheimen at the corner of the Soi where Bake and Bite is located. There's also a Kasikorn Bank at the corner. Along that Soi is also the Punna Condos and the empty Powerhouse Gym ; further along is Wawee Coffee. I'm sure you'll know one of these places. That Soi connects Nimmenheimen with the Canal Road and the large acreage of vacant land on the left as you walk west towards Canal Road is Prasert Land.

I don't know where the song thaews wait but I imagine it would be near the Canal Road which goes straight to The Royal Flora.

Nancy (or anyone else), did you find out about the songtaew for sure yet? Definitely think it would be much easeir to go by public transport.

edit: Ok, so Prasert Land that large songtaew hangout area then. (Just double-checking :) )

roughly...

werqwerqwer.jpg

Edited by eek

'Fireworks good too last night. Can't understand why some posts indicate there wern't any. Usually they are posts from people who were not there. Some posts are strange.'

Why strange? I was there in the afternoon (so did not stay into the evening) and was just repeating what the GF had interpreted from the flyer, she made a mistake, obviously. Does that make it 'strange'?

Don't worry I won't even bother to post anything again, some people are just so critical....what I have come to expect from here!

'Fireworks good too last night. Can't understand why some posts indicate there wern't any. Usually they are posts from people who were not there. Some posts are strange.'

Why strange? I was there in the afternoon (so did not stay into the evening) and was just repeating what the GF had interpreted from the flyer, she made a mistake, obviously. Does that make it 'strange'?

Don't worry I won't even bother to post anything again, some people are just so critical....what I have come to expect from here!

I think you are the one being critical and over sensitive posting in red.

On many different topics on TV you get posters making comments where they have not been somewhere but still make comments, the fish and chip thread for example.

My take on your post was that you were just passing on misinformation. ( You did not say you had been there in the day)

I could and should have worded my post better.

I think you are the one being critical and over sensitive posting in red.

On many different topics on TV you get posters making comments where they have not been somewhere but still make comments, the fish and chip thread for example.

My take on your post was that you were just passing on misinformation. ( You did not say you had been there in the day)

I could and should have worded my post better.

Fair comment....no worries....yeah maybe bit over sensitive on my part......especially as I didn't specificially mention when I was there etc.

Anyway, think the fireworks tomorrow should be pretty good and a great place for a decent photographer.....unlike myself!!