University Violence

gvallee2

I have been living 4-5months by an university. At first i thought all i would see is cute girls and nice cars.. Turns out i was wrong.

I recently learned about the university rivalries, my gf told me about how her mom sent her to study in nong khai for a year because of this crazyness. Just last month i was driving down siam square and saw a little pumpui dude running for his life with more feer than even brad pitt could conjure in his eyes. He had about 6 guys running after him, also with university uniforms. They ran pass 2 police men who were armed but decided that their cigarette was more exciting than protecting the little guy from the 6 scrawny little boys.

That's when it hit me, the past 3months before that i had seen some weird stuf on the street to the uni, now i understand what they were.

so what's this thing? i have seen rednecks, hiphop gang, drug gangs, Wiggers, punk gangs, skinhead gangs, racist religious groups.. All of whom are not really deserving of the human badge..

But wow, chasing down someone in high numbers(TO KILL, NOT HURT.. KILL) just because he wasnt enrolled in your school(maybe it wasnt even his choice?) vendalising governement propriety in a 3rd world country where every penny counts, jumping arounds like animals in a zoo for no aparent reason before doing the deed? Staying in a big group after committing someone wrong just to make sure the police can catch almost all of you.

Then when everything is cleared you get the teachers going at each corner from the street down to the entrace of the school, hitting every one of their own kids to get inside and beating them, when obviously the danger is gone.. (nice logic there)

Paedophiles have websites where they explain their sickness, racists groups too,holligans are just bored and british and still they can explain themselves, rednecks are just funny, gangs always have a dumb explaination for all they are doing.

I hope this doesnt get locked, if you dont like the content just edit it. This is a serious problem in thailand and i want to understand it. Slavery is easier to understand

Could thais explain themselves even in a really really dumb way?

I haven't witnessed this in my area which has thousands of university students in the area. Very calm, sophisticated and peaceful in terms of violence or other disturbance (except the "race drivers"). Thank you for reporting though. Recently there was a shooting between two universities in front of MBK, which proves though that this stuff exists.

When I first came here I remember the people I was working with telling me that University students often wage 'war' against each other. They told me this can include setting off small bombs in each other university's. I didn't pursue the conversation as I had no idea what to make of it or if they were serious of what the hel_l the were talking about. They told me in a very matter of fact way as if they expected me to say the same things went on in the Uk. Looking back I'm guessing them means fire crackers or similar.

Try not to confuse University with Technical college. I very much doubt you were seeing University students doing what you describe but rather students from a couple of rival technical colleges. The problems reported at MBK were also related to Technical colleges and mid last year a few tech college lads hopped on a bus and shot a kid from a rival tech college. Beats me why they have this deadly rivalry, but they do.

Try not to confuse University with Technical college. I very much doubt you were seeing University students doing what you describe but rather students from a couple of rival technical colleges. The problems reported at MBK were also related to Technical colleges and mid last year a few tech college lads hopped on a bus and shot a kid from a rival tech college. Beats me why they have this deadly rivalry, but they do.

happens everywhere...

Cumon you oldies the Jam even wrote a song about it in the 70s Eton Rifles...

I maybe wrong but i doubt it... guess someone will google it.. :)

I also was involved in gang war fare when i was at high school in the UK in the 80s against the other village that was seperated from our village by a railway line..

our gang warfare involved throwing stones and chasing each other when the numbers were larger than t'other gang.... sometimes fist e cuff but not often..mostly running and throwing stones and shouting....

Don't really believe any of you are amazed or shocked at this.... being going on since caveman times....

happens everywhere...

I also was involved in gang war fare when i was at high school in the UK in the 80s against the other village that was seperated from our village by a railway line..

our gang warfare involved throwing stones and chasing each other when the numbers were larger than t'other gang.... sometimes fist e cuff but not often..mostly running and throwing stones and shouting....

Don't really believe any of you are amazed or shocked at this.... being going on since caveman times....

I guess from your post that you grew up on the wrong side of the railway tracks then? I am no spring chicken and have lived and worked (and raised children) in three diverse countries (Australia, USA and Thailand) and have never witnessed the level of gang warfare you refer to. friendly rivalry on and off the sports field, yes but attempted murder just because someone attends a different institution. no! And I stand by my comment that what the OP witnessed would not be Thai uni students but Thai technical college students.

happens everywhere...

Sorry, but read the papers, watch Thai TV.

The technical school fights here involve machetes, guns, ping pong bombs, killing and raping.

My wife was once caught up in such a brawl inside a bus, suddenly guns went off, and everybody had to run for his/her life when students of two schools had it out.

I lived right next to a University. The building I lived in was about 80-90% occupied by students. Never saw any violence and I lived there for a couple of years.

Because these are rivalries between technical schools, and not universities.

There is one just opposite MBK, which is very involved in the fighting. Many of the most violent students there are also PAD guards, by the way.

I've seen two incidents of this nature, in the time that I have lived in Bangkok. Once, while riding on a bus, students from rival colleges were shooting at each other with zip guns, from the road side and the bus that I was traveling on. The other was most recently along Ladprao road, near Soi Mahathai, when a group of students rushed across peek hour traffic to chase after another group of students. The first group of students I noticed were all carrying large combat type knives. There was also a policeman a few meters down the road, at a police point, but he too chose to ignore what was happening. The taxi driver that I was traveling with was waving his arms and hooting at the policeman trying to get him to notice too, but he took no notice whatsoever.

Between MBK and Lotus is the infamous Pathumwan Technical College; so I think that is the place you are referring to.

They have one of the worst reputations for fighting.

There was a police raid a few days ago on the technical college, they found a lot of weapons and the students protested angrily that the police hadn't given them advance warning about the raid!

They should close down both Patumwan and Utane Technical colleges

I have talked to my thai gf sometimes about this.

She just says its been going on for a loooong time between these two schools, and she can't think of any reasons besides they "don't like each other."

She says its like a fashion, or like dogs that have their territory.

She can't think of any reasons besides the basic animal mentality that plagues this species of mammal.

But she did mention that often, alot of the students, come back to be teachers at the school and continue the fashion....

The teachers are apparently a part of the mentality as well.

This sort of stuff has been going on for absolutely years. I'm 42 and my wife is a year younger and she told me that the agricultural students at KKU used to meet up for a ruck with the technical college students (armed with whatever tools they could lay their hands on) when she was in Mattayom.

I think some of the old Technicals were renamed as Universities, so that may be where the OP's confusion lies.

A few years back, I was stepping out of Central Bangna at about 8.30pm. There was a loud pop, which I didn't think anything of, until everybody at the bus stop started diving for cover. A young guy in technical dress was on the back of a motorcycle firing at another group next to the bus stop. They promptly jumped on their own bikes and went flying off down Bangna-Trat after him.

On my way home a couple of times recently, I've seen groups of Mathayom kids, little ones from M1-3 I would say, running around with belts drawn trying to whack each other round the head. 4 or 5 jumped in the back of a songteaw I was behind to get at one other kid, but the songteaw pulled up in the middle of the road and the driver jumped in the back. Some of them legged it, but he came out with one in each hand, gave them a good bollicking right there in the road, and sent them on their way with a reasonably gentle clip round the ear. Very funny scene.

Edited by KhaoNiaw

It happens in Pinklao area quite often but not usually between University students, it's the technology colleges that are major problems over here. I've witnessed a few incidents myself. One day I walked out of 7-11 opposite Pata department store when I heard all the car tires screeching, a group of about 15 boys calmly strolled across the road and pulled one guy out of a bus. One of the boys pulled out a gun and pistol whipped the poor guy a few times, then within seconds everyone dispersed and the poor guy was lying on the road bleeding.

Another incident happened when I was looking for a house to rent, in a nice housing complex of Charansanitwong 31, behind the old abandoned cinema. As I was passing the security guard at the housing complex entrance he ducked inside his cubicle and I noticed all the other people in the area run inside their houses. I took out my headphones and heard two gunshots accompanied by about 40 boys scattering in all directions. Within seconds the police from the corner booth were there and managed to catch about 5 of the boys, they were handcuffed and their backpacks were emptied in front of them to reveal an assortment of weapons (knives, clubs, a revolver and a few rounds of ammunition). I waited around just incase the police wanted to question me as a witness but they said I could go.

Often they lob small home-made bombs at each other across the road near Central Pinklao. They don't do much damage, just a loud noise and a few car alarms go off but it does make everyone nearby duck for cover.

It was a lot worse in the 70s, when tech college kids would toss grenades and homemade bombs onto city buses running along routes used by students from a rival college.

There was a major riot at Chulalongkorn Univ campus between two rival faculties around that time as well.

happens everywhere...

A Uk 80's thug. Cant escape it anywhere