New Pizza&pasta Place

highonthai

Have been passing this place since it was open. last night I stopped by just to check out the menu.

While reading the menu I was offered a slice of a customers pizza that didn't think he could eat the whole thing himself.

I was plesently surprised how good it was.

The owner (Steve) is from New York and makes his pizzas "new york style"

Pizza,Pasta Sandwiches are just a few of his things on the menu that offers western/Thai fusion food.

Anyone that lives in The area should stop by and try it out.

Its' located on the middle ring road just past the Hang Dong big C. in front of the Siritara Condos on the way to the cannal road.

It's worth a try and I wish him luck, the area needed a pizza place that delivers.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope the guy does well. Anybody who opens a restaurant here in Chiang Mai needs all the help they can get. I just hope none of you yanks start the usual rant that the pizza is nothing like what they had when they lived in Manhatten etc.etc

Is there a name for this restaurant and better directions to where it is located?

He gave good directions. Middle Ring, just West of the Hang Dong Rd underpass on the left side when driving towards the Canal Road. How many pizza places do you expect to find there? :D

How will I know a 'New York Pizza' when I encounter one?

How will I know a search website when I encounter one? Oh wait, I'll know cuz it's called Google. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_york_pizza

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

If there are only two ring roads, there is no middle one.

Most people that have visited or lived in Chiang Mai city for some time use reference to Inner, Middle, and Outer Ring roads, PeaceBlondie. If you don't believe it, just do an internet search for "Chiang Mai Inner Ring Road", another for "Chiang Mai Middle Ring Road", and another for "Chiang Mai Outer Ring Road". It may not be official naming (I doubt if any, including Bangkok, are officially named Ring Roads).

MSPain

How will I know a 'New York Pizza' when I encounter one?

Usually as thick as telephone guide, pouring ketchup and pepperoni

( :D )

:) New York style pizza is thin crust. Maybe you're thinking of Chicago.

You young guys never had a real Chicago pizza. Thin crust and the best tomato sauce anywhere on the planet. Forget about Chicago Pizza Company and Uno's. They started thick crust pizzas as a way to draw customers away from the traditional Chicago pizzas. Born and raised on the southside of the Windy City with the best pizzas ever. :D

Edited by Sojourner

Most people that have visited or lived in Chiang Mai city for some time use reference to Inner, Middle, and Outer Ring roads, PeaceBlondie. If you don't believe it, just do an internet search for "Chiang Mai Inner Ring Road", another for "Chiang Mai Middle Ring Road", and another for "Chiang Mai Outer Ring Road". It may not be official naming (I doubt if any, including Bangkok, are officially named Ring Roads).

MSPain

I got here in 2003. Apparently you mean the (partial) ring road that goes from Canal Road, under Hang Dong Road, past Global House, etc. - perhaps highway 3029.

This cite - "Middle Ring Road, Sarapee, Chiang Mai" sounds like Outer Ring Road, 121.

This map illustrates it I think: http://www.pimuk.co.th/home.php?file=locat...amp;language=en

MSPain

I got here in 2003. Apparently you mean the (partial) ring road that goes from Canal Road, under Hang Dong Road, past Global House, etc. - perhaps highway 3029.

This cite - "Middle Ring Road, Sarapee, Chiang Mai" sounds like Outer Ring Road, 121.

This map illustrates it I think: http://www.pimuk.co.th/home.php?file=locat...amp;language=en

Illustration and maps aside (and having nothing to do with referring to...) people refer to the 3 ring roads as I have mentioned. It doesn't matter when you got here. When I first visited Chiang Mai there was not much semblance of "ringing roads", yet they were referred to at that time (1996) as Inner, Middle, and Outer Ring Roads.

Anyway, I was just trying to let you know that it is an accepted reference to and by many people. As I put in my earlier post, if you do an internet search, there are quite a few hits with specific reference to each of the 3 ring roads.

As I understand them, the inner ring road is actually the highway between Chiang Mai and Bangkok. The middle ring road (being the last one passable as a ring road) the one which comes the the intersection at the South end of the runway where a new Big C is located. And the outer ring road being the Somoeng road.

You can make of it whatever you like. As I said, I am just trying to let you know that they are all known and understood reference points to many people.

MSPain

Has anybody tried PizzaMania yet, been open about a month apparently. Cheap tasty pizzas and steaks, nice bread too. I took the family there last week and everybody enjoyed the food.

Located near Rimping Condo on the site of the old Bears Den.

All this talk about food is making me peckish...

Has anybody tried PizzaMania yet, been open about a month apparently. Cheap tasty pizzas and steaks, nice bread too. I took the family there last week and everybody enjoyed the food.

Located near Rimping Condo on the site of the old Bears Den.

All this talk about food is making me peckish...

Yes Thaihog - I went there during Loi Kratong. The menu looked very similar to Mr. Chan's on Huay Kaew Road - is it owned by the same people? Anyway, being the daring daredevil that I am, I had the fillet mignon with black and white sauce and french fries that I usually have at Mr. Chan's - it tasted just the same!

Ok, call it Inner Ring and see if you're understood. :)

Anyway, I drove past it yesterday, it's on the Middle Ring, about 6-700 meters after you emerge from the tunnel going towards the Canal Road.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source...077162&z=14

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I decided to try this Pizza N Pasta place last night, as I live quite near. My gf picked a pizza up on the way back from Hang Dong.

Here's their blurb...

New York style pizza with a Thai twist. You can have your choice of thin and crispy or traditional thick and soft, the sauces are a choice of regular New York style sauce or a Thai style spicier sauce. The pasta varies from what looks good at the market for lasagna, baked ziti or surprise specials of the day. The dough for pizza and bread are made fresh here daily. Come and taste!!

...Good food at a good price...

Large pizza (16 inch) 300 Baht

Pizza topping 20 Baht

Medium pizza (14 inch) 250 Baht

Pizza topping 15 Baht

Pizza by the slice 69 Baht

Pasta dishes from 109 Baht

Sandwiches from 99 Baht

I had a medium thin and crispy with the spicier sauce, pepperoni, onion and mushroom. The dough was nice and crispy on the outside but soft on the inside. Tasted good, not too thin either. The sauce was too spicy in my opinion, it overpowered the other flavours in the sauce. I like spicy food, but not when I'm eating pizza. I want rich, garlic and tomato. I guess that's the risk you run when you send the gf to get the pizza! There were sufficient toppings on the pizza too.

A little on the pricey side for me though. I'll more than likely try it again to see what the regular sauce is like.

And for the record, the flyer says that the restaurant is located on the Middle Ring Road!

Too pricy. If you're way out there on the n'th ring of Saturn, then compared with all of the long established places downtown such as but not limited to Mad Dog, Irish Pub, Mayflower et al, then it better be super special or super cheap.

It sounds like it's neither.

Thanks for the report Keo!!

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

MSPain

Illustration and maps aside (and having nothing to do with referring to...) people refer to the 3 ring roads as I have mentioned. It doesn't matter when you got here. When I first visited Chiang Mai there was not much semblance of "ringing roads", yet they were referred to at that time (1996) as Inner, Middle, and Outer Ring Roads.

MSPain

Do I understand that you remember 3 ring roads in 1996 ????

Went there for a pizza lunch today.

AND

Firstly, if you are on the Hang Dong road coming from Chiangmai, turn right on the highway just past the BigC (which is on the left), and the restaurant is a few hundred meters up on the left (I hope these are not confusing directions).

Secondly, it is named "Pizza N Pasta"

Thirdly, their medium pizzas are 16 inchers for 300 baht+ (that is just about double the size of a 12" pizza)

Fourthly, they use expensive imported flour and cheese, and their tomato sauce is thick and well seasoned...

Finally, I gotta say this is a real and delicious North-American style pizza. Not just a cracker with some red colour on it (Italian pizzas are good, but you gotta eat about 10 of them). This is the real thing! It is the first crust I have had in Thailand that has that deep bready taste.

My opinion? Better than Dukes. Better than Mad Dogs. Better than Irish Pub. Better than Paradise Pizza. Better than Pizza KohLanta. (I still haven't tried Guitarman). Better than the all the Italian 'zas (although a slightly unfair comparison). Way fuc_king better than the chains such as Pizza Shit, and 1112 The Shitza Company.

And as a postscript - Steven seems like a hel_l of a nice guy, and if you treat him right he might give you the password to his online video feed - watch him make pizza!

pps - his "pork tenderloin" tastes almost like a finely smoked ham - pretty fine. Pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty fine indeed...

Edited by wjmark

Do I understand that you remember 3 ring roads in 1996 ????

What I said, Gonzo, is that people REFERRED to 3 different ring roads in 1996. You could not drive completely around Chiang Mai on any of the roads at that time without making some turns. If you remember, you could not make it around the Somoeng ring road until just recently (you couldn't cross the highway to Bangkok). You could not make it around the "Middle" ring road until just a few years ago. You still cannot drive around the "Inner" ring road without making some turns onto other roads and also passing through Wing 41.

I am absolutely sure that local Thais that were "looking after me" at the time referred to the Inner, Middle, and Outer Ring road. What they referred to as the "Inner Ring road" was very confusing to me at the point where the railroad tracks crossed it. The "Middle Ring Road" was pretty much never travelled by me at that time (it WAS referred to by my local friends). The "Outer Ring Road" nothing like it is now.

In a direct answer to your question, no, I don't remember the ring roads at that time. I DO remember the Thai people referring in English to them. And they were the same as the roads that can now be driven on in a "ring" pattern around Chiang Mai city proper.

Does that explain it? I'd be happy to answer any other questions.

MSPain