Tap Water Chalong

petercallen

Changed the fish water a few days ago and all the fish died, when checking the water you could smell the chlorine in it, i checked the tap water this morning and it has a strong smell of chlorine again, does anyone know if the water is going to be chlorinated all the time or do they do it occasionally to clean the pipes, adding chlorine to tap water makes it safe to drink but i cannot see them doing it here as it would put to many people out of work, does anyone know if it is done on a regularly.

I lived in Chalong for two years and the water was always chlorinated. I think if you keep a supply of water standing in the sun for at least a week to allow the chlorine to dissipate it will be safe for fish. But still smell it before you use it.

I lived in Chalong for two years and the water was always chlorinated. I think if you keep a supply of water standing in the sun for at least a week to allow the chlorine to dissipate it will be safe for fish. But still smell it before you use it.

It has not been chlorinated all the time recently we have had the fish for 4 months and changed the water once a week and this is the first time we have had this problem, in Australia all tap water is chlorinated all the time so it is safe to drink and i left the water for 48 hours to dissipate the chlorine before adding it to the fish tank and never had a problem.

I got a small fish tank once for the daughter and the man in the fish shop told me to ONLY fill up the tank with the big white bottles of water and NOT to use the tap.

Man fish are tough to take care of, you look at them funny and they die. The most hardy one was the sucker fish and when he passed, out living 4 generations of other fish, we retired the tank.

Over the years I have noticed the smell in both Kathu & Chalong but lately it seems to be OK. Having no idea how the water authorities control their dosing it is hard to say if they are putting in too much or too little. Liquid chlorine is prone to fluctuations in its strength depending how long it has been sitting on the shelf. It is a fallacy if you smell chlorine in the water that there is too much chlorine. In swimming pools if you have the chlorine smell it is actually chloramine (these are formed by a combination of chlorine & ammonium compounds) & usually means there is not enough chlorine.

If you do a search on chloramines in drinking water you will find it is used as a disinfectant in municipal water supplies (this may be the case in Phuket) & you need a filter with activated carbon to remove them. Depending on the process in making all that pure bottled water you buy. it may still contain chloramines which may not be that good for your health over time.