Bangkok Water Potable?

alantheembalmer

I have read many postings about water filters, but I am still confused.

I am installing a new kitchen soon, and I want to fit a water filter under the sink. I have never had one before, so I would like to know exactly what am I trying to eliminate from Bangkok mains water? I read in The Nation that Bangkok water exceeds WHO requirements for drinking water quality. Does that mean that tap water is potable?

I have read many opinions on this site, so if anyone has any facts about the mains water quality, and the contaminants that it may contain, I would be very grateful to hear them.

Many thanks

Alan

I think it is potable, if a little hard. I don't have a filter, but in a pinch, I'll drink it. I hate the flavour of it though, so I never drink it straight. I think that a lot of filtration units (especially the charcoal-based ones) are mainly about flavour, rather than bacteria or something (although I know these exist as well).

I'm no engineer or scientist, but I've lived both downtown, and now out in Pinklao, and I think there is no problem.

My understanding is that when it leaves the processing plant, the water is perfectly potable, but that there are enough fissures and cracks in the pipes between the plant and homes that (and keep in mind those pipes are laying in ground water) by the time you turn your faucet on...not potable. I would drink it in a pinch, but only in a pinch.

I happen to have drunk it for some periods of times (10-15 days in a row), and i'm still here. It tastes ugly, and usually sends me running for the toilet when I start drinking it, before my stomach gets used to it after a couple of days.

But as was said, the problem comes from the pipes themselves. Better let it run for some time before drinking it, especially if the pipes in your house/building are exposed to the sun. Heat is a perfect vector for bacterii to devellop.

Water coming out of the water treatment plant is perfectly drinkable.

Question is, what can go into this water along the distribution, and in storage tanks, before it comes out of your pipes.

Treatment of water for drinking and cooking, I prefer using a sub-micron ceramic filter with 2 carbon filters and a UV treatment system to ensure that the water is free from bacteria and viruses, and chemicals like chlorine.

My understanding is that when it leaves the processing plant, the water is perfectly potable, but that there are enough fissures and cracks in the pipes between the plant and homes that (and keep in mind those pipes are laying in ground water) by the time you turn your faucet on...not potable. I would drink it in a pinch, but only in a pinch.

it is only partly cracked pipes which spoil the water. the problem is the tanks from which it is pumped into homes and condos. take a look (if you can) at the inside of an average tank and then try to "filter" out the impressions of cockroaches or the odd drowned rat. if you own a home and keep your tanks sealed and clean you will notice a huge difference.

having said so, i maintain my own tanks, have a small water treatment but nobody in my house drinks any city water. and that goes for my dogs too! :)

The water, when it leaves the Municipal Waterworks Authority plants, is potable but when it gets to the end user it MAY not be potable due to inflows through the cracks. FYI approximately 30% of the treated water is "lost" through cracks, and some pollutants and contaminants do get into the water through these cracks. The pollutants can include bacteria (specifically coliform and cryptosporidium and giardia), heavy metals, organic compounds causing taste and odour problems, turbidity and nutrients.

MWA have a pretty good website http://www.mwa.co.th/ewt/mwa_web/quality_e.html and it even shows "real time" water quality (turbidity and residual chlorine levels) throughout their distribution system http://wqconline.mwa.co.th/wqc/OverviewMap.aspx

The type of pollutant at the end user will define the treatment method required to deal with the pollutant. For bacteria you will need either a very fine filter (in the micron range) or a UV system. For taste and odour problems (e.g. chlorine) a charcoal filter should be sufficient. For metals you will need a flocculant/precipitation/filter process (don't even think about going there).

IMHO for health resons if you plan on using tap water for drinking you only need to worry about bacteria. You can purchase very small UV systems for any apartment or house. For Taste and Odour charcoal is the way to go but you have to change it as per the suppliers recommendations.

or you can stick to bottled beverages :)

From experience, I know that unfiltered BKK water can cause kidney problems due to hardness. Urinating becomes difficult and painful. Makes you feel nauseous.

Go to Homepro or some such and they have many dioffrent types/models. Go for the ones with 3 filter canisters.

I forget exactly what they are.

From experience, I know that unfiltered BKK water can cause kidney problems due to hardness. Urinating becomes difficult and painful. Makes you feel nauseous.

Go to Homepro or some such and they have many dioffrent types/models. Go for the ones with 3 filter canisters.

Normal filters do not soften water. Boiling the water does.

Me and the family (and the dogs) have been drinking Bangkok water for over a year now and no one has got sick, died, etc., from it (none of us have been sick period). I live in Khet Talingchan (western Bangkok) and the water treatment plant is about 5 kilometers away. I do run the drinking water through simple/cheap carbon filters....one filter is on the refrigirator water dispenser and the other on on a separate outlet on the kitchen sink...I change the filters once a year (changed both a few months ago). The mother-in-law and brother-in-law living just outside of Bangkok (who we provide jugs of water to) like the carbon filtered (coconut based) water taste as they say it tastes sweet...and they aint't got sick, died, etc., from the Bangkok water either. But I will admit, the quality of the water depends greatly on the quality/cleanliness of the pipes/storage tanks which feed the water to your home.

I drank Bangkok tap water for year while living in Soi 20 and neither I or any of my guests who also drank it were sick from it. Considering how often the on-street water dispensers are serviced and have their filters chnaged I think I think I'd rather take my chances with tap water than what comes out of those coin in the slot machines.

No, boiling water only gets rid of the bacteria. Whatever is in the water, it gave the wife and I kidney trouble.

I am amazed that some people here drink it unfiltered and have no probs.

No, boiling water only gets rid of the bacteria. Whatever is in the water, it gave the wife and I kidney trouble.

I am amazed that some people here drink it unfiltered and have no probs.

Boiling the water rids it of hardness caused by carbonates of calcium, but not the metallic minerals in it.