Money Transfer To Thailand

Hi

I have a friend (really..!!) who has asked me best way (safe, reliable) to send his girl some money here in Thailand. He was wondering what would be the best options (pros and cons) and which methods might be best for a Thai girl from esarn to collect the money without it being too difficult for her.

Has anyone done this recently or have experience you could share?

cheers

XCom.

re .... He might not be the only farang supporting her!

i know a " massage " girl in chiang mai who has 8 supporting ferangs from five different countries .

what makes you think his friends girl is not genuine ?

just interested ? .... dave2 : )

Cynics, all!

You asked for information, not opinions.

I have transfered money from the US to myself and others, and it was easy, and cost us$45.00

I used Bank of america, but other large banks do the same service.

You have to provide a name, the bank name, bank branch address, the bank SWIFT code and the recipient's account number. This assumes the recipient has an bank account with a major bank.

If she doesn't have an account, just send me the money and I will personally deliver it to her. (mai jing)

Cynics, all!

You asked for information, not opinions.

I have transfered money from the US to myself and others, and it was easy, and cost us$45.00

I used Bank of america, but other large banks do the same service.

You have to provide a name, the bank name, bank branch address, the bank SWIFT code and the recipient's account number. This assumes the recipient has an bank account with a major bank.

If she doesn't have an account, just send me the money and I will personally deliver it to her. (mai jing)

:D:)

As stated you have few options.

1) wire transfer bank to bank (with Bangkok Bank you dont need a bank account, Bangkok Bank can accept incoming wire transfers without you having a bank account - call them or check out their website - not sure if this service is for Thai's too)

2) a money service such wire gram or western union.

3) Paypal, if she has a paypal account (this is your best option)

If small amounts less than $500 it might be better to send via a money service, it is ready almost immediately, cost a little less than the bank and exchange rate with a money service is about 1 baht less than the bank. Western Union is all over Thailand with several major banks handling this service.

If $1000 or more then you should send by the bank, the fee is a flat fee, with money services the more you send the higher the fee. you get a better exchange rate, takes about 2-3 days depending on what time of day the transfer is made.

I send money from my US bank to Thailand via wire transfer when over $1000

Hope this helps..

If it is a more than once deal......The cheapest way & safe too is send her a ATM card.

You can open an account in the US ...of course separate from

your own. Tell the bank it is for use in Thailand so they are not alarmed by

the withdrawals

Then mail the card to her. After she gets it she can call you & you give her the PIN#

Your friend will also see the withdrawal dates/times/location. He can add as he wants or even change the pin# if he changes his mind. :)

I had a buddy did that while his fiance waited a year for her K1 to be approved

If it is a more than once deal......The cheapest way & safe too is send her a ATM card.

the withdrawals

Then mail the card to her. After she gets it she can call you & you give her the PIN#

Your friend will also see the withdrawal dates/times/location. He can add as he wants or even change the pin# if he changes his mind. :)

Great idea just what I was thinking,donor has full control, its cheap (especially with Nationwide BS for the UK people) and can be stopped at any time.

the withdrawals

Good idea, thanks. He says that she doesnt feel confident to open a bank account herself (god knows why), so this might be a good way for him. I wonder how many of the cards get through, though, but I guess if they dont have the PIN, you just send another.