Indian Curry

lannaman

I've just returned from 6 nights in Laos. Both Huay Xay and Luang Nam Tha had reasonably priced but excellent Curry Houses, serving both snacks and main dishes. Cost of the most expensive no more than 100 baht. Also their nan bread was excellent. Both restaurants were well frequented by westerners and Japanese.

In Chiang Rai the curry house nearly opposite Thai Airways closed because it was too expensive, the other opposite Wangcome Hotel was poor in my opinion. The little guy who started up in the Night Bazaar only sold snacks, if he had done main dishes I reckon he might still be there.

Italian food is well catered for in Chiang Rai, but I do miss a good curry, and make a fair attempt at cooking it myself. But this is not the same as a restaurant with Indian ambience and good nan bread, popperdoms etc.

I told the Indian guys in Laos to get their relatives over here to Chiang Rai. No doubt the deterent to this would be immigration rules and the sky high property rents in the City Centre.

Anybody wanting to get together to share recipies and cook Indian curry please come back to me. Maybe the seeds of a Chiang Rai Curry Club are in this!

Hi lannaman, if you ever venture to Chiang Mai you may want to visit Hinlay curry house which is about 1km from Nawarat bridge as they prepare the currie's in advance and when customers come in simply hit the microwave and serve. My point is that his curries (which total 15 or so) are chilled so easy to transport and last time I was there the priciest was rogan josh with imported lamb at 90baht. All servings are 100 grms and personally I double up as 100grms doesn't add up to a full meal.

Just to add that I am in no way associated here other than as a customer but I do live just around the corner so know the owner pretty well who is not Indian by the way.

Cheers

I made curries and masalas and all sorts of things with spices from the spice/pharmacy opposite the bus station on the south side. That shop and a quick walk in the market close by the fruit stalls will satisfy most needs for curry ingredients.

Hi lannaman, if you ever venture to Chiang Mai you may want to visit Hinlay curry house which is about 1km from Nawarat bridge as they prepare the currie's in advance and when customers come in simply hit the microwave and serve. My point is that his curries (which total 15 or so) are chilled so easy to transport and last time I was there the priciest was rogan josh with imported lamb at 90baht. All servings are 100 grms and personally I double up as 100grms doesn't add up to a full meal.

Just to add that I am in no way associated here other than as a customer but I do live just around the corner so know the owner pretty well who is not Indian by the way.

Cheers

Thanks Mahseer

I will certainly pay the Hinlay Curry House a visit when in Cmai. I wish the place was just around my corner!

• 2 weeks later...

lannaman, if you like your curries hot then Hinlay will very shortly offer them cooked with Bhut Jolokia chilli's which are the hottest in the world. I have 2kgs in my bag as have just arrived back from a weeks fishing in Bangalore. The shop owner paid for them (only 3,5000IRP which is about 2,200 baht!) and had them shipped from Assam to the hotel I use and I will deliver to him tonight. I'll post in Chiang Mai section once he has the balance he is looking for.

Cheers

Yes, I had an Indian curry made with that chilli a couple of weeks ago and I'm pretty sure that was the hottest dish I have ever had in my life. They did warn me though by writing "this is the hottest dish we have on the menu!!". Good stuff, washed in down with a single Kingfisher.

lannaman, if you like your curries hot then Hinlay will very shortly offer them cooked with Bhut Jolokia chilli's which are the hottest in the world. I have 2kgs in my bag as have just arrived back from a weeks fishing in Bangalore. The shop owner paid for them (only 3,5000IRP which is about 2,200 baht!) and had them shipped from Assam to the hotel I use and I will deliver to him tonight. I'll post in Chiang Mai section once he has the balance he is looking for.

Cheers

Wow! But I think too hot for me. I like 'em hottish (curries that is!) but not too hot. I had a stomach problem back in March and the doc's advice, "not too spicy".

But Hinlays is a good enough reason to visit Cmai in the New Year. Maybe we can meet up there, and get some others there for a curry bash!

Wow! But I think too hot for me. I like 'em hottish (curries that is!) but not too hot. I had a stomach problem back in March and the doc's advice, "not too spicy".

But Hinlays is a good enough reason to visit Cmai in the New Year. Maybe we can meet up there, and get some others there for a curry bash!

At 1,100baht/kilo not sure exactly how much will go into the hotter dishes but on a number of occasions the owner has received comments of typically 'nice curry shame it wasn't hot' which brought up the bj chilli idea. If I'm here I'll walk around to meet up you lads but it's mahseer season (look up cauvery mahseer) so may be back in India. The owner does ship so if you can't wait PM me and I'll give you a number and will leave it to you to sort out.

Cheers

Another opinion. I visited Hinlay during a trip to CM, going out of my way to find the place based on a recommendation on this board. The price was right, the food was adequate but nothing special to anyone who has experienced wonderful Indian food. I would eat there if I lived in the area, but if I lived in CM I would never go out of my way to eat there again. Sometimes I am really amazed at the places people rave about. I do recall asking them to spice up my curries and they refused saying they are all pre-prepared. Not exactly the mark of a good restaurant, but that was only part of my lack of enthusiasm about the food there.

Edited by Jingthing

Another opinion. I visited Hinlay during a trip to CM, going out of my way to find the place based on a recommendation on this board. The price was right, the food was adequate but nothing special to anyone who has experienced wonderful Indian food. I would eat there if I lived in the area, but if I lived in CM I would never go out of my way to eat there again. Sometimes I am really amazed at the places people rave about. I do recall asking them to spice up my curries and they refused saying they are all pre-prepared. Not exactly the mark of a good restaurant, but that was only part of my lack of enthusiasm about the food there.

Don't believe I was raving about the place nor did I recommend it but simply mentioned it as a place that has curries prepared in advance that can be picked up or shipped. As for more spice I think the answer is in the thread but not sure what the owner could have done with food that is already in the chiller.

No further comment from me about this particular restaurant.