Crackdown On Drunk Drivers; Strict Law Against Drunk Driving

george

i totally agree on strict laws for drunk driving. maybe now i won't drink and drive anymore.... :)

i just won't drive :D

Just don't drive!! That is the ticket!!

FINALLY!!!! Are the Thais getting some common sense!!!!???? Blaming the PERSON and not the booze??

I say NAIL anyone with massive fines and jail time who is caught driving drunk here!! More power to this!!

Not only that, but crucify ANYONE who causes death or injury when they are responsible when driving drunk like they do in other countries now. At least 20 year jail terms and they have to pay and support the surviving members of the family who's family member they killed.

There is NO EXCUSE for this in Thailand as we have such affordable transportation and taxis on

every street ready to take us home if we have had a few too many.

Do not blame the masses for this!!

Does not anyone find the completely pathetic law about selling alcohol between 11am and 2pm, then from 5pm on a fringing JOKE!!!?? This is just monkey logic!!

The mom and pop stores LOVE this law on every little sub soi!!

How about:

Don't sell to alcohol to minors (massive fines for stores caught selling to minors)

Deny selling alcohol to drunken idiots

Don't deny and cause such inconveniences for the responsible masses!!!

Good to see they are actually blaming the PERSON who decides to make the wrong choices.

The logic and thinking of restricting access to alcohol for everyone during the time of day because some morons or under age Thais will get drunk at that time during the day is completely STUPID!!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its started in Chiang Rai too.Last night I got stopeed at 9.45pm near Den Ha. Nice policeman said where had I been.To eat I said and he wished me goodnight.I asked why they were stopping nearly everyone and he replied ALCOHOL!!!! Yes I had had a couple with my meal. Time to move house close to the bar.

Enforce the helmet law. A lot of head injuries are more than likely in those figures. See so many people just coming off their bikes.

Not just enforce it, educate Thais and farangs that its NOT for the police or so, its for you HEAD. Assuming you buy a decent one...

Brings me to a complaint: I have a Honda Helmet and after a year the plastic in front is broken but all I am told is they cannot get them... They should make helmets illegal if those plastic things cannot be separately bought.

Currently booze is cheap for the BiB - they set up roadblocks and fine drivers a couple of times each month, and the pocket

money pays for the booze.

Well, I heard they even collect free beer from the karaokes instead of the tax as most of those karaokes Have Leo beer but no money....

Currently booze is cheap for the BiB - they set up roadblocks and fine drivers a couple of times each month, and the pocket

Well, I heard they even collect free beer from the karaokes instead of the tax as most of those karaokes Have Leo beer but no money....

So have they provided the BIB with breathalysers?

Or we still down to one unit at Din Daeng on a Saturday night.

I'm all for it.

Come on, is it April 1st. Booze going down in price.

It will never happen.

I can confirm they have these very sophisticated breathalyzers and more than you like! Frequent controls are in Tonglor, just in front of the police station and on the Rama IX road under the tollway viaduct at the entry of Royal City Avenue. They stop all drivers except taxis... I also heard about the Rachadapisek road being a frequent target for these tests...

Me too, I had a friend in jail for one night with a trial the next morning and 15,000 THB fine. But drunk he was...

I support this altough I feel one day to be a victim of what I support myself. From two beers you're already BINGO... :)

Heard they might get a free jump as well, lucky boys. :)

Edited by plasticpig

It seems to have escaped some posters that whatever the cost of a DD "accident" a misnomer if ever there was one; it is of course no such thing - there IS a cost - not just medical/insurance - there is the social cost - loss of bread-earner - incapacity due to injury or alcoholism, the effects both financial, physical and psychological on dependents even victims employees will suffer.

With even the smallest amount of alcohol in your blood your reactions and abilities to judge (loss of inhibition etc) are altered negatively so ridding people (including, apparently some posters on this thread) of the idea your can drive safely with alcohol is a great goal, but this legislation will do absolutely nothing in that direction

Edited by Sherlocke

Hi..

I am all for this one, if they ever manage to pull it off.

However the cops will be way too busy harassing motorbikes for entirely made-up "offenses" so they won't have the time to check anyone for alcohol levels.

And even if they manage to catch a drunkard by chance (probably because he was on a motorbike) it will be the usual 200 Baht straight into the cop's pocket and he'll be on his merry way again.

regards

Thanh

Ha ha ha, with a salute and a badly worded 'Have a nice day sir'

I am all for this one, if they ever manage to pull it off.

However the cops will be way too busy harassing motorbikes for entirely made-up "offenses" so they won't have the time to check anyone for alcohol levels.

And even if they manage to catch a drunkard by chance (probably because he was on a motorbike) it will be the usual 200 Baht straight into the cop's pocket and he'll be on his merry way again.

regards

looks like this character might spend a night or to in a cell this Xmas!

Who, me?

Sorry to disappoint you... the last time i drank something that contained alcohol (apart from cough syrup) was about five or six years ago, and the last time i was actually drunk was a few days before i got my motorbike driving license. That happened when i was 20 years old.... i'm 34 now. So i am unlikely to ever end up in a cell due to drunk driving :) And i don't do other drugs either, i don't even smoke :D

Kind regards.....

Thanh

Who, me?

Sorry to disappoint you... the last time i drank something that contained alcohol (apart from cough syrup) was about five or six years ago, and the last time i was actually drunk was a few days before i got my motorbike driving license. That happened when i was 20 years old.... i'm 34 now. So i am unlikely to ever end up in a cell due to drunk driving :) And i don't do other drugs either, i don't even smoke :D

Kind regards.....

Thanh

Please don't tell me you are a vegetarian virgin as well. If so, you better kill yourself now. :D

Who, me?

Kind regards.....

Thanh

Please don't tell me you are a vegetarian virgin as well. If so, you better kill yourself now. :D

this epitomizes the childish attitude to alcohol that is so prevalent amongst expats (and of course drunk drivers!) - to suggest that drinking or drug taking is in any way "manly" or indicative of sexual prowess is really got to be one of the most stupid things I've seen for several week on Thai visa.

....and using the terms vegetarian and virgin as an insult???? - how very very sad.

Who, me?

Kind regards.....

Thanh

this epitomizes the childish attitude to alcohol that is so prevalent amongst expats (and of course drunk drivers!) - to suggest that drinking or drug taking is in any way "manly" or indicative of sexual prowess is really got to be one of the most stupid things I've seen for several week on Thai visa.

....and using the terms vegetarian and virgin as an insult???? - how very very sad.

Dear Sherlocke

Did you miss the smiley at the end of jenson's obviously lighthearted comment.

Dr Watson.

Quite frankly I don't think that views like that are funny and that he chooses to think they are is more of an indication of the posters own childishness - we are talking about drink drive here and flippant comments like that aimed at belittling the other poster's opinion, betray an underlying attitude towards the issues surrounding alcohol and its mis-use

Edited by Sherlocke

Quite frankly I don't think that views like that are funny and that he chooses to think they are is more of an indication of the posters own childishness - we are talking about drink drive here and flippant comments like that aimed at belittling the other poster's opinion, betray an underlying attitude towards the issues surrounding alcohol and its mis-use

Did you notice Thanh's response - he clearly didn't feel belittled, so why are you doing so, vicariously?

THere is nothing vicarious about it at all - Whether or not he voiced an opinion - and he clearly felt the need to justify himself - is irrelevant -

I'm not defending him, I'm pointing out that there is an underlying attitude towarsds alcohol here that is unhealthy - why on erarth do you feel the need to take up this point as if I've made some great insult to drinkers?

Edited by Sherlocke

THere is nothing vicarious about it at all - Whether or not he voiced an opinion - and he clearly felt the need to justify himself - is irrelevant -

I'm not defending him, I'm pointing out that there is an underlying attitude towarsds alcohol here that is unhealthy - why on erarth do you feel the need to take up this point as if I've made some great insult to drinkers?

I suspect you will not give up easily, so I surrender :):D

Who, me?

Kind regards.....

Thanh

Ha Ha !, and that "epitomizes" the total lack of a sense of humour and the incapacity to understand the concept of a "joke" of some of the crusty old farts on this forum. Ironically though, you gave me a laugh. Maybe there's hope for you yet.  - how funny. :D