Crackdown On Drunk Drivers; Strict Law Against Drunk Driving

george

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THere is nothing vicarious about it at all - Whether or not he voiced an opinion - and he clearly felt the need to justify himself - is irrelevant -

I'm not defending him, I'm pointing out that there is an underlying attitude towarsds alcohol here that is unhealthy - why on erarth do you feel the need to take up this point as if I've made some great insult to drinkers?

I suspect you will not give up easily, so I surrender :D:D

:) I see it but I don't believe it.

Ohhh & Sherlocke, thanks for the laugh, you arnt serious are you?

• 5 weeks later...
You people really think this shit will make a difference ...even if it cuts down on drunk drivers. 80% of drivers on the road drive like they're drunk regardless if they are not.

I'm far more fearful of the idiots rushing here and there like there's no tomorrow. Start ticketing people for driving the wrong way, not staying on the right (left) side of the road, talking on cell phones, making illegal highly dangerous passes, speeding, running red lights, double and triple parking ...etc..police any one of these, and guarantee there'd be a far larger reduction in accidents than cracking down on drunks.

The fine is a ridiculous amount also.

Glad I'm in a place where they could give 2 shits if you're completely shit faced and driving, though looks like that might be changing soon from the sound of the trend.

Sounds like you know factually that those you describe as driving poorly, erratically, and dangerously do not have alcohol in their bodies.

Of the numerous drunks I have seen brought in by police to different hospitals to be seen cause they were in MVA's, theres one that stands out in my mind. A story that I actually saw more than once.

Drunk driver crash killed a family young children included. Drunk driver in ER arrogant, obnoxious, cursing at staff and police, sometimes spitting at us, trying to bite and kick us as we try to assess and help medically.

I recall on one or more occasions the drunk that need to be observed for 8-12 hours thus be kept in the hospital. By this time a bit sober or less intoxicated crying like a baby upon learning what he did. Whether that was "hitting bottom" and the onset of the road to sobriety or not I don't know. Likely in prison there will be no alcohol routinely available.

I have seen what alcoholism has done to friends and loved ones. It is not pretty, not fashionable, not enviable. It can and does take good people and change them into arrogant self serving "little Gods". It tears families apart, kills multiple times the people that are killed by all illegal drugs combined.

Clearly laws and or their enforcement are suboptimal in Thailand, however using that to rationalize drunk driving as being ok and even proud/boisterous of it per your above statement is ________________________________ (please fill in the blank with appropriate words)

Even in developed countries, having a license suspended does not stop alcoholics from driving and continuing to injure and kill people, sometimes even themselves. As one example, the US is now convicting drunk drivers for murder. Being able to use "being drunk as an excuse" is no longer a way out.

Personally, if someone wants to drink that is their business, but they should NOT jeopardize the safety and well being of others.

If a drunk driver killed someone in your family would you still be glad to live in a place where they don't give 2 shits if you're completely shit faced and driving?????

• 2 weeks later...

yesterday my deadly drunk friend was stopped by police in PTT. Usually he had paid 2000 baht, now he was asked about 20 000 but paid only 10 000. "We are interested only in your money"-the polisman told him. Now my friends thinks that it is too expensive for him and will take taxi next time

I would agree with greed. however stupidity is not an issue. Alcohol is in control and "insanity" is a better term. Anyway, negative consequences are what gets an alcoholic to wisen up. Thinking about the pain of giving up 10,000 baht is a good way to get a dangerto society away from the steering wheel.

Finally, greed triumphs over stupidity. :)

I would agree with greed. however stupidity is not an issue. Alcohol is in control and "insanity" is a better term. Anyway, negative consequences are what gets an alcoholic to wisen up. Thinking about the pain of giving up 10,000 baht is a good way to get a dangerto society away from the steering wheel.
Finally, greed triumphs over stupidity. :)

Can this topic now be moved to the "Crackdowns" subforum. Yes, we do. It is right next to the "Hubs" subforum....

• 3 weeks later...

One positive thing that I have gathered from reading all the posts is that the police are hanging on to drunks so that they may make an appearance in court before a judge. Thailand would be a better place if this procedure were followed for all serious infringements. I should also like to see policemen handing out tickets and confiscating ID cards redeemable at the local nick upon payment of a fixed penalty for less serious offences.

I am not in favour of instant 'justice' dispensed at the roadside by an alleged Thai criminal organisation or rewarding policemen for doing their job by them being recipients of part of any fine.

This means of course the setting up of a fair and reasonable pay structure for RTP. Alas. A pipe dream.