New Mcdonalds At Thapae Gate

Ulysses G.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

mcds nz has just launched a couple of premiem burgers with angus patties, which contain no hormones and the angus bull is grass fed...........im not a mcds fan but tis tempting, luckily its bbq season so burgers arent on the menu with so much juicy steaks to be had

i suppose if we want to improve on the aesthetics of the area, then we should ban the

hordes of fat, old caucasian men --- particularly the ones wearing loud hawaiian shirts,

bermuda shorts, sandals and black socks.

What would you say if we just ban ALL caucasian males?

Now, that would be a much better sight.

the new thapae gate mc donalds

here it is .... in four days ? ... six days ? ... i week ?

enjoy .... dave2

pic taken 9 15 pm 3 dec 09

if it looks anything like that then it won't be that bad, the biggest problem with mcdonald's is the primary colour and golden arches gaudiness of their buildings. they generally ruin the look of any area they are in and then typically help to cover the place with litter. can't really see this as a positive step for the tha pae gate area.

also their coffee is utter <deleted>. as is starbuck's.

I was just thinking about one of their breakfasts. breakfast_menu.Par.4350.Image.-1.0.1.gif

I can see this new Maccas is going to be very badly positioned for you General.

Be strong my friend, be strong.

There are carpenters here who can streangthen the chairs to handle the increased weight they will have to bear with maccas that close. :)

I like one of their burgers about every other month and a breakfast now and then - Luckily, they don't sell pancakes in Thailand. I'm not much tempted other than that. If I can resist eating at the Duke's more than twice a week, McDonald's every few months should be a breeze.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I like one of their burgers about every other month and a breakfast now and then. I'm not much tempted other than that. If I can resist eating at the Duke's more than twice a week, McDonald's every few months should be a breeze.

The burgers I can go without but if they have those chocolate mud muffins warmed in the microwave with ice cream I am in real real trouble.

I don't think it will affect my business one way or another and Thai people eat plenty of sugar laden, fat foods already - ever heard of Pad Thai? – so, an occasional burger won't make much difference one way or another.

I agree.

I am always amused by the "McPoison" and similar anti-McD's posts. Every time I go to a McDonalds, the Thai diners out number foreigners by a significant margin. (Its true for all the other countries I've visited as well.)

I like Thai food but I am not sure its as healthy as people think...

Every time I go to a McDonalds, the Thai diners out number foreigners by a significant margin. (Its true for all the other countries I've visited as well.)

ive visited mcds in nz in the past and no thais in sight :)

I don't think it will affect my business one way or another and Thai people eat plenty of sugar laden, fat foods already - ever heard of Pad Thai? – so, an occasional burger won't make much difference one way or another.

I agree.

I am always amused by the "McPoison" and similar anti-McD's posts. Every time I go to a McDonalds, the Thai diners out number foreigners by a significant margin. (Its true for all the other countries I've visited as well.)

i tend to agree but i would say it would be far healthier than most fast food offerings

everything in moderation, right? :)

Every time I go to a McDonalds, the Thai diners out number foreigners by a significant margin. (Its true for all the other countries I've visited as well.)

ive visited mcds in nz in the past and no thais in sight :D

I saw Thais in the MCDS in Thai Town Los Angeles. :)

I like one of their burgers about every other month and a breakfast now and then. I'm not much tempted other than that. If I can resist eating at the Duke's more than twice a week, McDonald's every few months should be a breeze.

The burgers I can go without but if they have those chocolate mud muffins warmed in the microwave with ice cream I am in real real trouble.

yup, those microwaved 'nuked' food will kill ya :)

I like one of their burgers about every other month and a breakfast now and then - Luckily, they don't sell pancakes in Thailand. I'm not much tempted other than that. If I can resist eating at the Duke's more than twice a week, McDonald's every few months should be a breeze.

I'm glad (no, I'm Not! But I should be) that I don't live near the Dukes.

Mcdonald's is not that hard to resist.

i suppose if we want to improve on the aesthetics of the area, then we should ban the

hordes of fat, old caucasian men --- particularly the ones wearing loud hawaiian shirts,

I am an old person. I resent your ageist remark. If do not like the old you are free never to suffer the embarrassment of being old.

However, I think what you are describing "hill tribe" people who are not caucasian.

The place will be packed with foreigners who complain about McDonalds destroying the universe. Look at the one in the night market. When I go there it's mainly tourists who have come to Chiang Mai to get a taste of Lanna culture.

I like the coffee, burgers and ice cream they sell. I won't be visiting that branch because there's nowhere to park my car. I suspect the place will be full of drunk foreigners staggering from the bars of Tha Pae Gate. Another reason for me to avoid this branch.

That did occur to me as well. I never liked Mikes, also because there isn't anywhere comfortable to sit. Mc Donalds to be honest looks MUCH better: a nice new building and air conditioning inside, and a nice terrace outside for the cooler months.

Did anyone consider that it might actually be a worthwhile late night option when out boozing and, erm.... AppreciatingLannaCulturing?

Parking wouldn't be an issue because I would have parked in my usual secret parking spot already.

And then there's breakfasts; other branches in CM don't do this I think, but in that location it makes a lot of sense to have a breakfast menu.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I agree.

i tend to agree but i would say it would be far healthier than most fast food offerings

everything in moderation, right? :)

All things in moderation-I agree :D

Some time ago, I was watching a news program comparing (American) chinese food with McDonalds. Bottom line, the commentator advised going "Straight to McDonalds" when asked which food was healthier, with respect to caloric content.

Again, I do eat a lot of Thai food but think about it, most Thai food is fried, very oily and loaded with sugar. Which is more healthy? beats me, I just eat what I want. (Then hit the tread mill later :D )

Edited by Lancelot

The place will be packed with foreigners who complain about McDonalds destroying the universe. Look at the one in the night market. When I go there it's mainly tourists who have come to Chiang Mai to get a taste of Lanna culture.

I like the coffee, burgers and ice cream they sell. I won't be visiting that branch because there's nowhere to park my car. I suspect the place will be full of drunk foreigners staggering from the bars of Tha Pae Gate. Another reason for me to avoid this branch.

That did occur to me as well. I never liked Mikes, also because there isn't anywhere comfortable to sit. Mc Donalds to be honest looks MUCH better: a nice new building and air conditioning inside, and a nice terrace outside for the cooler months.

Did anyone consider that it might actually be a worthwhile late night option when out boozing and, erm.... AppreciatingLannaCulturing?

Parking wouldn't be an issue because I would have parked in my usual secret parking spot already.

Great logic.

1417618023_4ab248c2b9.jpg

Thank goodness any one over 39 will be banned so there will be more room for virle young shirtless skinheads (or long filthy dreadlocks), barefoot and propositiong the local girls with charming pick up lines like "come with me, but I don't pay...)

Get a life people; live and let live say I :)

incidentally does anyone think that the starbuck's at tha pae gate is anything other than an absolute eyesore? one of the most attractive things about this city is its ramshackle and authentic architecture mixed with various thai styles and different boutique hotels, guesthouses etc. a cookie cutter corporate coffee shop looks horribly out of place there, as will the golden arches.

What would be the difference between serving a burger and a particularly delicious meat (beef) pie?

While brand recognition might be something that many disdain, does it really come down to a question of envy for success and jealousy? Wouldn't all of the people eating at Micky D's be getting their beef elsewhere? Or eating a premium beef pie made in Phuket?

If it's a matter of Western corporate greed invading a cultural location, then I have to agree with the bad flavor that it would leave in the mouth. However, someone would have to prove to me that Micky D's belongs in the same boat as Halliburton, the oil companies, pharmaceutical companies, weapons manufacturers and insurance companies (all western companies, not just American). You just can't say that just because Micky D's raises cattle that they are bad. Many companies and individuals raise cattle.

But to get on point, I hear that the coffee is good. The burgers are crap. The breakfast is even worse. The big chains make it a point to get the best locations for their product. They can afford it. Does this make them bad? It makes them successful.

I agree that Chiang Mai is losing its cultural appeal and character. It shouldn't be that Micky D's should not be allowed at Thapae Gate but that the Im Hotel should have had to have had a particular lanna design.

incidentally does anyone think that the starbuck's at tha pae gate is anything other than an absolute eyesore? one of the most attractive things about this city is its ramshackle and authentic architecture mixed with various thai styles and different boutique hotels, guesthouses etc. a cookie cutter corporate coffee shop looks horribly out of place there, as will the golden arches.

I think the The Starbucks is a really nice looking place and they did a great job on the design. It was an ugly shop house.

If it's a matter of Western corporate greed invading a cultural location, then I have to agree with the bad flavor that it would leave in the mouth. However, someone would have to prove to me that Micky D's belongs in the same boat as Halliburton, the oil companies, pharmaceutical companies, weapons manufacturers and insurance companies (all western companies, not just American). You just can't say that just because Micky D's raises cattle that they are bad. Many companies and individuals raise cattle.

it's not that they just 'raise cattle'. it's that the swamp and destroy smaller producers and manufacturers and thereby reduce consumer choice. how can that be a positive thing?

I think the The Starbucks is a really nice looking place and they did a great job on the design. It was an ugly shop house.

nah, it's cookie-cutter and could be anywhere. at least run-down shop houses are authentic and bring character to a place.

it's not that they just 'raise cattle'. it's that the swamp and destroy smaller producers and manufacturers and thereby reduce consumer choice. how can that be a positive thing?

Really? Where are you getting your data? Many of the large chains buy their beef from large producers. Micky D's Thailand buys Australian beef.