Overstay For 4 Days, Fine Charges

Dear All,

I am leaving Thailand within this week and I will be 4 days over stay. Can I pay the fine charges easily at the airport and where should I pay? Kindly advise on this.

Thanking you all for all the infos and everything. I will visit this forum off and on. Missing you all and Thailand as well.

Thanks and best regards,

It will be no problem, when you present your passport to immigration for departure, the officer will notice the overstay and summon another officer from behind the desk. This other officer will take you to a row of desks behind immigration, paperwork will be filled out, and you pay there and go on your way.

The above comments are correct, you will pay the overstay when you leave. However, if you get picked up by the police for any reason before then you may have a bigger problem. They won't accept that you are leaving soon (you would say that anyway) and arrest you.

A bit like getting caught with stolen goods in a shop! "I was going to pay for them, honestly!"

Until you get to the airport be careful what you do. If the police stop you tell them your passport is in the hotel Don't show it.

The above comments are correct, you will pay the overstay when you leave. However, if you get picked up by the police for any reason before then you may have a bigger problem. They won't accept that you are leaving soon (you would say that anyway) and arrest you.

A bit like getting caught with stolen goods in a shop! "I was going to pay for them, honestly!"

Until you get to the airport be careful what you do. If the police stop you tell them your passport is in the hotel Don't show it.

not the same, they know you are going to pay there is no way you are leaving Thailand without paying.

Just knew there would be somebody to say this... Yes, this is the law, chances are very very slim, also the police dont enforce overstays this is done by immigration. BWPattaya scares you like this and then does not tell you how to correct it, so you do have another option and that is to go to Immigration now and pay to get a 7 day extension, cost is 1900 baht. Your choice, i myself would just wait and pay at the airport.

Several posts removed - although humor not everyone has the ability to know that if English is not there native language (as is the case for many).

Overstay is a law and it is enforced by all police. You can be held and face a judge if local police find you to have overstayed.

Dear All,

I paid the fine charges at airport and flew from Thailand. Thank you very much for all your support, this forum and Thailand as well. I will miss you all for sure and will visit here off and on. Wishing you all and families "Happy New Year" and all the best.

Best regards,

Hi, I'm in the same boat. Leaving this week, and will be 5 days over. Slept in today instead of making my bus to the border.... One piece of advice; I had the thought that I'll leave my passport at home/hotel/etc when I run around BKK just in case of a routine police check on the street. I think if you're not doing something stupid, you can just say "sorry, my passport is in my hotel safe."

I don't think you are required to carry it around, or at least it's not a big deal.

Am I wrong here?

The requirement is photo ID AFAIK. And a drivers license is normally accepted; as is a copy of passport. But passport can be required if taken in for other reasons and you could be held until produced (although often they will go with you to home/hotel to get it).

By law you should carry your passport at all times...

Well that is what I understand, may be lost in translation and it is all persons need official ID, for most of us that would be your passport but as most of us know that can be impractical at times and one should weigh up the fine for not having a passport and the problems associated if you loose your passport, personally I carry a photocopy of my passport and hope that will suffice.

Hi, I'm in the same boat. Leaving this week, and will be 5 days over. Slept in today instead of making my bus to the border.... One piece of advice; I had the thought that I'll leave my passport at home/hotel/etc when I run around BKK just in case of a routine police check on the street. I think if you're not doing something stupid, you can just say "sorry, my passport is in my hotel safe."

I don't think you are required to carry it around, or at least it's not a big deal.

Am I wrong here?

To answer your question, yes you can leave your passport in the hotel. Best is to have a photocopy of the picture and info page and take this with you when out. As long as you don't get into any big trouble you should have no problems.

Just to let you know the chances of being asked for your passport, I have lived and worked in Thailand for almost 15 years, never once have i had the police on the street ask to see my passport. Been asked for my ID many times driving, but never asked for the passport.

Im sure someone is going to say you will get caught and go to jail, which is a possible risk, but how much of a risk? I would say if you don't get into any trouble, then no risk.

Good luck

Just knew there would be somebody to say this... Yes, this is the law, chances are very very slim, also the police dont enforce overstays this is done by immigration. BWPattaya scares you like this and then does not tell you how to correct it, so you do have another option and that is to go to Immigration now and pay to get a 7 day extension, cost is 1900 baht. Your choice, i myself would just wait and pay at the airport.

I wasn't trying to scare him, only advising on exercising caution prior to leaving. Other posters recommend carrying a photocopy of the information page from your passport.As for having to show passport, I too have never been asked in 10 years, only for a driving licence.