Renewing A Childs Thai Passport.......

I don't know if I should post it here..., but I need some HELP!

My son's Thai passport needs renewing, however, I'm a single parent(foreign). His mother disappeared 4years ago which I reported to the tourist police.

According to the MFA website, you need both signatures or one with a letter ov consent from the parent who cannot appear. I don't know where his mother is....and well, after all this time I really don't care.

So, what can I do? What should I do?

Thanks for any advice & help.......

Bring along your child’s birth certificate, old passport and police report to ministry of foreign affair, approach the service counter for queue number, clarify and seek further information regarding your situation. MFA staffs are the most helpful and efficient ministry that I ever encountered.

Good Luck

I'll give it a shot.......I just don't want any more hassles. I can also prove in one form or another that I have solely taking care ov him.

I just dread an unpredictable twist which could make matters worse. I'll keep info posted nearer the time...the next few weeks.

Thanks.......

• 2 weeks later...
How did you get on? Interested to know as i am in the same position!

The MFA were reluctant to help at first and the info they gave me..., they could 've done when I wrote to them 1 1/2 yrs ago. By the end ov the day, they had helped me a lot and I got the passport.

If you are in the same position.....this is what happened to me!

I arrived at the MFA last Friday morn. about 11-45 with my son. Went to 2nd floor and told the lady at the desk I needed a new passport for my son. She spoke to me in Thai telling me what I needed and then I told her my situation. I gave her my passport, my son's, orig. B'cert (Thai), and the orig. police report. She spoke to me Thai (again) and asked some Q's. which I answered, going over and over the fact that I don't know where my wife is etc.. She told me to wait 5mins and went to see somebody in the office behind the counter.

A few mins. went by when a man came to see me....., this time speaking English! He asked some Q's about my wife and siuation etc., and showed me a piece ov paper with directions in Thai and a phone number for 'The Family Juvenile Court' in Bangkok and told me that I need to speak to a 'Lawyer' and that they can help me. I asked if he could help and........he said 'NO.' I told him that I didn't have time or money and that I had just travelled over night etc., and begged and begged him to at least phone the number for the 'Court.' He eventually gave in and phoned. After the call, he spoke to his assistant and told me to come back at 1p.m. as it was lunch time now (12:15).

I went back at 1p.m. and spoke to the same assistant who then made a phone call and asked me to follow her upstairs to the 'Passport Division' where the general public do not go. She spoke to the man behind the desk and then left. The man walked over to see me and asked for our passports and docs., police report etc.. He then took them into the back room offices and told me to wait. While I was waiting, I could hear them talking about me and they mentioned that [u]they couldn't get the files until [/b]2p.m.[/u] About 1:50p.m., a man walked past where I was sitting with two 'Big' files and went into the back room. Approx. 2:10p.m., a man came out from the back room and told me about 15 more mins. because they needed to check out all the info., and then sat down and asked me some Q's about my wife and situation etc. I explained that I took 5months to report the incident incase she came back, she has never contacted us, can check with the schools my son has attended ( only I have signed forms etc.), and check visas and stamps. Whenever I have left Thailand, so has my son with 'No Alert' on the computer screens when going through immigration. After 15 mins. or so, he back to the offices.At 2:35p.m., the same man came from the back room and handed some paperwork to the man behind the desk, came over to me and handed back our passports etc., and told me not to worry....'you'll get the passport' and to follow the assistant back to the 2nd floor. Back at the 2nd floor, he spoke to the assistant behind the counter and gave her the paperwork. She printed out a queue number and gave me it.............60 people in front ov me!! I sat down and thought about waiting and the train we had to catch at 5p.m.. I went back over to the counter showing her my ticket. After a few mins., she decided to help me and took me and my son to get his application, photos etc. done. I eventually left the MFA at 3:30p.m.

So, if you are in my position you could go to the MFA. However, I feel like I was lucky, and remember they originally told me to go to 'The Family Juvenile Court.' Most provinces have one, and if you need info on where they are etc., contact the MFA. Also remember, the MFA has info on both you and your Thai family.

At the end ov the day, the MFA now knows and has on file that I have taken care for the last 4 years, and now have sole custody ov my son.

PM me if I can help......

Glad it all worked out in the end.

At the same time it is a good reason that people in your position should go to family court and get sole custody. Normally it doesn't matter, but in this kind of cases it matters a great deal if you have sole custody or not.

Yeah...thanks Mario! I hope this info can help somebody out there.

For the last 4years it didn't matter about sole custody, but when I have to leave for a visa...he comes with me. It's not always easy to find someone to take care. Also, he enjoys travelling with me!

It's just easier to live and work here with his Thai passport.

Omlagus, very interesting and thanks for sharing the information. The normal way would be to have to go to juvinile court and I am positively surpised that it worked

Can you please help out with some more info. Did you sign for your childs first passport? Did you and the mother legally register the marriage? If not, did you legalise your child?

Thanks in advance

Michael

Yeah............we both signed for his first passport, and yes everything is legal and registered....marriage, birth etc.. When they filled out the form for his new passport, they asked if I was in a relationship.....which I'm not, and then asked if it was o.k. to just have my name registered to his new passport.

BTW..... they never asked to see my marriage cert. which I still have........

Yeah...I believe so..... as I said, I think I was lucky and I'm also going to look into the 'Family' court. However, as far as the MFA is concerned.. I do, and have had sole custody for the last 4yrs.

I suspect they will try and contact her family with regards to all this................

If you have sole custody, you should be able to get a sor por 14 documents from the amphur where your child is registered. It shows that you have sole custody and is required to get a passport for a minor.

I'll check that out after the 'New Year' and let you know.........

thanks for the info.....