Fingerprints Being Checked On Arrival In Uk

Just to advise the UKBA has introduced, from 30 November, the checking of fingerprints against those recorded in biometric capture on visas, for those seeking entry at the Port of Entry into the UK, they assure travellers that it will not take any longer than the current checks, and they will be done by the scanning of two fingers. They say that the purpose of this latest check is to ensure that the person who has actually applied for the visa is the one seeking to enter.

They do warn that if you refuse to have your fingerprints checked you will be subject to further checks, but go short of saying that a refusal would automatically result in entry being refused.

As a matter of interest a similar method of fingerprint capture is used by UKBA Enforcement Officers to check if a person has ever made an asylum claim in The UK or elsewhere in Europe, courtesy of Eurodac.

Good move. Totally in favour of using technology to combat illegal immigration / fraudulent entry.

A double edged sword I'm afraid, the technology that combats illegal immigration also serves to track and monitor the average citizen. I also am in favour of the positive use of that technology but remain suspicious of secondary purposes, hence, my bow string pulling fingers will be in evidence at such requests.

But it's only for travellers who require a visa entering the country so it will hardly monitor the movements of UK citizens, though I suspect that when e-borders is fully implemented that may provide monitoring of suspects.

I believe that the US has been carrying out fingerprint capture and photographing on all arrivals for years.

^ Yup. The US must have thousands of my dabs by now. For years it was index fingers only, now it's all four fingers on each hand. Funnily enough, they baled me up on entry last month for an alleged overstay in 2003. I guess not all the technology is real-time eh?

The UK eBorders has been quietly rolled out with those that chose to dodge court dates or fail to pay fines getting their collar felt upon re-entering from overseas.

IMHO, all this added security and scrutiny seems to do is net the minnows and minor offenders because we never hear how it's helped nail a major drug dealer, tax dodger or serial killer.

Edited by NanLaew

^ Yup. The US must have thousands of my dabs by now. For years it was index fingers only, now it's all four fingers on each hand. Funnily enough, they baled me up on entry last month for an alleged overstay in 2003. I guess not all the technology is real-time eh?

The UK eBorders has been quietly rolled out with those that chose to dodge court dates or fail to pay fines getting their collar felt upon re-entering from overseas.

IMHO, all this added security and scrutiny seems to do is net the minnows and minor offenders because we never hear how it's helped nail a major drug dealer, tax dodger or serial killer.

HERE HERE WELL POSTED THAT MAN

How come there was none (fingerprints) required in May 2009?? Flying into L.A.?? Only times I have used it is for E-gates in some countries and that is thumb only!!!!

But it's only for travellers who require a visa entering the country so it will hardly monitor the movements of UK citizens, though I suspect that when e-borders is fully implemented that may provide monitoring of suspects.

I believe that the US has been carrying out fingerprint capture and photographing on all arrivals for years.

What goes around comes around

Right now the topic is too sensitive to be imposed on their Nationals as that would be stamped as a breach of Human Rights

But eventually it will all come down to it: Remember Da Vinci, Jules Vernes etc... with their incredible stories like flying or going 20.000 leagues under the sea. Well they were correct!

Now, look at all the movies (not talking about the Fantastic Four): it is just a glimpse at what the future holds for us

Without exposing the minds of these great men and women, look into the past: some decades ago, people were to declare their religion then wear some distinctive stars. The same goes for SA passport were the holder's colour was mentionned. You can go on and on....

Yes to the protection of the citizens, but no thanks when it comes to deal with the citizens themselves: under the pretext of preventing unwanted individuals from crossing the border (or anything else for that matter), people who, by the way, are, most of the time, spotted by the, often bashed at, efficient immigration officers, a profile of every individual is put on files

I am not being paranoïd although I might sound like it (actually I would do the same as everyone else: getting fingerprinted) but every day there is a new regulation NOT aimed at the honest abiding citizen which eventually becomes a law

No human being deserves to be chipped and tracked like an animal. Then again peoples behavior is sometimes akin to animals - sheep.

Err! What about drug traffickers, arms smugglers, robbers on the run or terrorists? Be good to track them, right?

why not just say it in one - government :)