Dangerous Situation

islandlodger

Time:- 5PM THURSDAY 3rd DEC 2009

Place:- Centerpoint CAR FERRY to Ko Chang ; full of Thai school kids and lots of tourists.

An overwhealming stink of diesel and petrol. A school bus driver was about to light a cigarette only inches away. <deleted>. The ferry company collects 50B from the driver only;-----the car goes FREE.

This has to stop NOW.

WHOM, WHERE and HOW to report this horrendous DEATH THREATENING activity.

I bet the insurance companies won't pay out on such an accident.

ALL the BOAT operators on Ko Chang get their fuel the same way to save a few Baht.

Both the ferry operators are guilty of allowing this.

post-52621-1259983261_thumb.jpg

Thirth world countries goverments dont take the safety procedures for transporting fuel and high flamable serious, offcourse there is a law with all the necesarry documents regarding safety regulations/procedures

And after :):D:D nothing happening as with many laws and regulations.

My advice take the next boat.

Have a safe trip.

I used to see in Yugoslavia: on the gasoline station they all smoked while fill in the gasoline or drop it to the floor.

It is not as dangerous as it seems. Just a few stations burned down every year :) and not all like I would thought.

Try this experiment, put some petrol in a small dish, throw a lighted cigarette in it, it does not go boom, puts out the smoke.

So on the basis of your hypothesis we should accept mixed transport of gasoline and people. An experiement using a bit of gasoline in a small dish cannot be extrapolated to the quantities shown in the pics. Maybe you would happily send your family across the sea on a boat with such cargo but I, and I suspect most others, would not.

Safety is everybodies responsibility. But sadly not in Thailand. :)

Try this experiment, put some petrol in a small dish, throw a lighted cigarette in it, it does not go boom, puts out the smoke.

So on the basis of your hypothesis we should accept mixed transport of gasoline and people. An experiement using a bit of gasoline in a small dish cannot be extrapolated to the quantities shown in the pics. Maybe you would happily send your family across the sea on a boat with such cargo but I, and I suspect most others, would not.

Safety is everybodies responsibility. But sadly not in Thailand. :D

Incorrect, everybodies responsibility in Thailand as well, but no action :) and no action gives a reation and we know where that is going to end up with

petrol, heat and air :D

Good advice "garyh" :) hopefully my children don't read your post

Sorry I forgot to add don't try this at home kids! :D

The fuel in the photo is in sealed containers, just like you drive your car or motor bike with a tank of fuel onboard.

The fuel in the photo is in sealed containers, just like you drive your car or motor bike with a tank of fuel onboard.

Thanks garyh this will help a lot and will make this world a safer world.

Only one problem :D , the most kids if been adviced not to do it, they going to try it :D .

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

Diesel fuel has a higher flash point than gasoline (140 degrees for diesel versus -35 degrees for gasoline) Granted, a lit match dropped in a puddle of diesel fuel will almost always go out without igniting the puddle of diesel fuel, but it can ignite if spilled on a hot exhaust or if the heat source exceeds 140 degrees F.

Thanks garyh this will help a lot and will make this world a safer world.

Only one problem :D , the most kids if been adviced not to do it, they going to try it :D .

So your kids smoke cigarettes?

Right - now try this experiment: hold lighted cigerrete 2" above same dish of petrol - and see what happens! - it might ttak 5secs, it might take 20secs, or it might take a couple minutes, but all it needs is the vapour density to reach a certain point!!

The op wrote about someone about to light a cigarette, so garyh try the above with a naked flame and tell us the results.

If there was a strong smell of fuel then the 'closed' containers were leaking or fuel had been spilt.

This is an everyday occurrence in Thailand but it is one I would avoid if I could....

Not true , it depends on the air temp, Put petrol in a small dish the Vapor evaporates expanding 3500 times its volume , The vapor is heavier than Air and will find the lowest point, If the mixture is right you have potential Bomb. Also the small lighters that people carry in there pockets, There is enough Butane in them to blow the person in half.

You let your kids read Thaivisa? :D

That's far more worrying than letting them experiment with ciggies and petrol. :D

The lightening of a ciggie with any open flame has the potential to ignite petrol fumes. Granted a lite ciggie can be put out in a container of gasoline but to light that ciggie over the same container would in all probability qualify the remains for the Darwin award.

Thirth world countries goverments dont take the safety procedures for transporting fuel and high flamable serious, offcourse there is a law with all the necesarry documents regarding safety regulations/procedures

And after :):D:D nothing happening as with many laws and regulations.

My advice take the next boat.

Have a safe trip.

It's true that in Thailand they don't take health and safety seriously...

Some of these things aren't too bad, like Songthaews, Tuk-tuks or motorbike taxis, people walking the streets with elephants in tow, questionable hygiene at street vendors, etc. Others are downright dangerous; hanging off high-rise building sites without harnesses, the electricity cabling, bad roads, etc.

...but you don't see people dropping dead all over the country. People are just careful and don't rely on the nanny state to wrap them in cotton wool. Where would you rather be? Here, or the UK, where health and safety and other regulations control pretty much every aspect of your personal and working life, sometimes to the point it almost seems they are deliberately going out of their way to spoil people's fun. I know where I'd rather be.

Another Chicken Little crying the sky is falling.

I wish I had a $1 everytime I hear newbies piping off like this.

Accident waiting to happen, need to report this blah blah blah

Maybe it hasn't set in yet newbie.

This is Thailand, this is third world.

We are third world for numerous reasons including lack of safety and common sense.

We have been this way for 100's of years, don't try to change us, you won't succeed

3rd suits us very well.