Dulwich School’s Fate Hangs In Balance

george

I can definitely sympathize with your position, because, after teaching at Thai schools, I advise my expat friends with children to avoid a Thai school education at all costs!

If they cannot afford a good international school - and I mean a good one - they should take their kids out of the country. And ultimately that is what some very wealthy or educated Thai families do - send their kids to high schools in other countries.

However, I cannot stress enough that one should not wait until high school. I would high-tail it out of here as soon as my kid needed schooling. Either that or start my own school or homeschooling organization with other expats.

....and to add even more insult, once kids get a bit older and go back to the West, equipped with an expensive Thai education, they often have to drop back a couple of years in grade. That's not nice for any child.

In fairness, that's not true about a good international school. I know from experience that kids who have returned to the U.S. were at normal levels for their grade, or even ahead. Because there aren't that many "farang" things to do, students often bond closely with their schools and look forward to spending time with people from a similar culture. And the teaching standards can be quite high. The Thai government now requires a teaching certificate as well as a college degree -- or years of experience in the subject taught.

Gone are the days when backpackers could get a job at an international school.

Update:

Dulwich London takes tough stance in talks

BANGKOK: -- The Chief Executive Officer and Founder of Dulwich International College (DIC) today lifted the lid on negotiations between his organization and Dulwich College in London, at which attempts are being made to heal a major rift between the two sides.

At stake in the talks is whether DIC will be allowed to continue using the Dulwich name.

In a letter emailed to parents and teachers, Dr Arthit Ourairat laid out the bleak choices he says Dulwich London is offering in talks in Bangkok.

The negotiations involve himself, Dulwich London Deputy Master Ralph Mainard, putative DIC headmaster Dr George Hickman, DIC Chief Financial Officer Pitawas Indharameesup and Laguna Joint Managing Director James Batt, who is acting as mediator.

The choices Dr Arthit says Dulwich London is offering indicate that the London school is taking a very tough line in the talks. The choices are:

* DIC severs ties with Dulwich London.

* DIC rents out the buildings and ground to outside investors who will operate the school.

* DIC sells the buildings and ground to outside investors.

* DIC allows a company called Global Educational Information Consulting Co (GEICC) from the People’s Republic of China to manage all academic and non-academic operations of the school.

In the past year, GEICC has opened two schools in China, in Beijing and Shanghai, in collaboration with Thai conglomerate Saha Union, and Dulwich London.

Saha Union is headed by former Thai Prime Minister Anand Panyarachun, himself an alumnus of Dulwich College in London.

“We understand GEICC would be given responsibility for all areas, including recruitment and selection of teachers and staffs, a flexibility that we are currently asking [for] from [Dulwich London],” Dr Arthit wrote.

“GEICC will perform this service for a fee, possibly a percentage of revenue and /or profit. Dulwich London will continue to get its royalty payment from the school.”

Dr Arthit continued, “Mr Mainard asked me whether a presentation by a member of GEICC would be useful, and I agreed to have him received at Rangsit University.

“Incidentally,” he added, “you may have noticed that the option missing from the list above is the option of working together. This option would have included ways in which our two institutions can function together as in any normal relationship between a franchiser and a franchisee, where a certain degree of flexibility is allowed.

“Unfortunately, this option, as proposed by our side several times, has been continuously ignored.”

Mr Mainard could not be reached for comment on progress in the talks or on Dr Arthit’s interpretation of the current situation.

--Phuket Gazette 2005-04-26

A very serious rift, indeed. They obviously want nothing to do with the current Thai managment. I guess Dr. Arthit sacked the wrong person. The chips did not land on his side, that's for sure.

....and to add even more insult, once kids get a bit older and go back to the West, equipped with an expensive Thai education, they often have to drop back a couple of years in grade. That's not nice for any child.

In fairness, that's not true about a good international school. I know from experience that kids who have returned to the U.S. were at normal levels for their grade, or even ahead. Because there aren't that many "farang" things to do, students often bond closely with their schools and look forward to spending time with people from a similar culture. And the teaching standards can be quite high. The Thai government now requires a teaching certificate as well as a college degree -- or years of experience in the subject taught.

jomama, it's good to hear that standards are being raised for teachers in international schools, at least. Does the foreign teacher need to be certified in their home country, or has Thailand set up it's own process for training/certifying foreign teachers for work in Thailand only? And what about the teachers already in place when the new regs started? Where they grandfathered in, or replaced? What makes a school an 'International School' for the purpose of the new regs? What impact have you seen on some of the smaller of the international schools? Difficulties in finding qualified teachers?

Sorry for so many questions. I know you have a few years experience in these schools, and I'm also a very nosy guy. :o

Edited by Ajarn

jomama, it's good to hear that standards are being raised for teachers in international schools, at least. Does the foreign teacher need to be certified in their home country, or has Thailand set up it's own process for training/certifying foreign teachers for work in Thailand only? And what about the teachers already in place when the new regs started? Where they grandfathered in, or replaced? What makes a school an 'International School' for the purpose of the new regs? What impact have you seen on some of the smaller of the international schools? Difficulties in finding qualified teachers?

Sorry for so many questions. I know you have a few years experience in these schools, and I'm also a very nosy guy. :o

As I understand it, the new regulations apply to all schools in Thailand, and apply first to new teachers. They must have certification from their home country. For teachers already hired, they are grandfathered in if they have been there three years (thank God -- I've got a lot more than that).

There doesn't seem to be a problem finding qualified teachers. There are probably 15 (unsolicited) applications a week at a small school -- about two of which are well qualified.

Just an update: I found out more...any new teacher who is sponsored for a work permit must file teaching credentials along with the application. So I suppose it wouldn't apply to many of the schools that just teach English -- most do not offer a work permit (to my knowledge).

There is a move underway by some of the Bangkok international schools to set up a credentialing course at one of the universities.

Just an update: I found out more...any new teacher who is sponsored for a work permit must file teaching credentials along with the application. So I suppose it wouldn't apply to many of the schools that just teach English -- most do not offer a work permit (to my knowledge).

There is a move underway by some of the Bangkok international schools to set up a credentialing course at one of the universities.

All my teachers were certified - most of them were also certifiable. :o:D:D

Best International school hire their teachers abroad through job fairs, so they are certified in their home countries, not in Thailand. Thai authorities issue teaching licences based on those home countries qualifications.

Thanks, jomama.

If this is REAL teacher certification (like my California Teaching Certificate) vs something like the TEFL certs from these short courses, I can't imagine there would be enough certified teachers to go around... From recent postings here, it seems there are jobs with work permits that don't require such certification, since the posters say they only have short-course TEFL certs.

For sure, Ajarn, there are countless farang teachers of English working in Thailand, with or without work permits, with or without proper visas, in and out of Bangkok, who don't have certification as a professional educator in their home countries. The best that most schools get is somebody with an actual bachelor's degree (in any subject) plus a four week TEFL course certificate. The better EP schools will ask for a BS in math or science or other subject relevant to the subject being taught, but even those teachers are in short supply.

Many Thai prathom and matayom schools will take any Ukranian fresh off the tarmac at Don Muang.

The true actual genuine real international schools want a B.Ed. and a relevant master's degree, and First World certification. Both such schools.

Thanks, jomama.

If this is REAL teacher certification (like my California Teaching Certificate) vs something like the TEFL certs from these short courses, I can't imagine there would be enough certified teachers to go around... From recent postings here, it seems there are jobs with work permits that don't require such certification, since the posters say they only have short-course TEFL certs.

The international school I know best has actually for several years been requiring a teaching certificate issued in the home country in addition to a degree. Now the Thai government does as well. These English language teaching certificates are all over the place and don't usually get a second glance. Again, there are many qualified, certified teachers from the West who are eager to work in Thailand, so the number of applicants isn't a huge problem.

If they cannot afford a good international school - and I mean a good one - they should take their kids out of the country.  And ultimately that is what some very wealthy or educated Thai families do - send their kids to high schools in other countries. 

A certain ex-Minister (responsible for the "public order" campaign) sends his kids to school in New Zealand - PRIMARY school! Now what does that tell you about the state of education in Thailand?

If they cannot afford a good international school - and I mean a good one - they should take their kids out of the country.  And ultimately that is what some very wealthy or educated Thai families do - send their kids to high schools in other countries. 

A certain ex-Minister (responsible for the "public order" campaign) sends his kids to school in New Zealand - PRIMARY school! Now what does that tell you about the state of education in Thailand?

Could show that he is keeping his family out of harms way of certain influential types who were burnt by his activities.

Hate his policies if you want, but he was one of the few straight politicians that Thailand had seen recently.