Bringing Cash To The Kingdom

Hello everybody - How much cash or travelers check are you allowed to bring into Thailand. I have "rainy day" fund here in the the states and would like to take it with me. Any limits on the amount allowed. Any problems depositing it into Ba. B as I will be using these funds to justify my financial requiremnets for retirment visa.

Thanks -Kcore

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Restrictions...ey-t204188.html

Also depending on what country your coming from....

In the US if your leaving with more than 10k you need to fill a small form at the gate.

Recently they have been actually asking each passenger as you enter the boarding area.

Not a big deal though.

I am coming from usa and it is more than 20 k. what is this form about. And how about making deposit into thai bank with this. Any problems with walking into a a bank with bag of loot. would cash of travel checks be better - kcore

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Restrictions...ey-t204188.html

Also depending on what country your coming from....

In the US if your leaving with more than 10k you need to fill a small form at the gate.

Recently they have been actually asking each passenger as you enter the boarding area.

Not a big deal though.

I am coming from usa and it is more than 20 k. what is this form about. And how about making deposit into thai bank with this. Any problems with walking into a a bank with bag of loot. would cash of travel checks be better - kcore

edit ; diregard the banking questions as i just look at the link supplied. sorry for densness.

The form is no big deal & was always in force. But recently they actually ask you in line if your travelling with over 10k in cash or travellers checks.

If you say yes they say step aside & give you the form takes about 40 seconds to fill.

You will have no trouble depositing the money in Thailand. I have done it often.

Travellers checks are nice for obvious reasons.

1) safe & insured if lost

2) less bulky as you can get them in $1000 denominations

3) if your a credit union member they are usually free to obtain.

Lastly have you considered a bank to bank transfer?

It is only 20 bucks if your in the US & use the Bangkok Bank NY to trans.

You do it from any bank in the US..Swift it to the NY Bangkok Bank with your acct#

& it goes right over no problems.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Bank/...from%20USA.aspx

edit: corrected link

Edited by flying

The form is no big deal & was always in force. But recently they actually ask you in line if your travelling with over 10k in cash or travellers checks.

If you say yes they say step aside & give you the form takes about 40 seconds to fill.

You will have no trouble depositing the money in Thailand. I have done it often.

You do it from any bank in the US..Swift it to the NY Bangkok Bank with your acct#

Thanks - It would be nice if i could find the 1000 denomination bills my bank seems lacking here but the search continues. The reason not to go back through bank to bank wire ransfer is ...it a rainy day fund that i have gathered over the years and feel if put back into the system it might raise some income issues with my cpa....the money is not dirty and it is after tax savings. just trying to keep the annual return simple . I not sure how Bankkok bank in N.Y. could work as just mentioned plus i don't have my Thai bank account open yet and was palnning on doing this as soon as i arrived in LOS

Thanks - It would be nice if i could find the 1000 denomination bills my bank seems lacking here but the search continues. The reason not to go back through bank to bank wire ransfer is ...it a rainy day fund that i have gathered over the years and feel if put back into the system it might raise some income issues with my cpa....the money is not dirty and it is after tax savings. just trying to keep the annual return simple . I not sure how Bankkok bank in N.Y. could work as just mentioned plus i don't have my Thai bank account open yet and was palnning on doing this as soon as i arrived in LOS

I see.

No problem I am not a big fan of US banks either :)

Yes if your Bangkok Bank account is not established yet then you need to do that to use the NY

branch as a transfer.

Try to find those $1000 cheques but if not $500's are very common & still

quite a but less bulky than all hundreds in cash.

edit:

One last thing is if you do take cash in hundred dollar bills make sure they are not the older small head hundreds.

Many places do not want to accept them

Edited by flying

I see.

No problem I am not a big fan of US banks either :)

Yes if your Bangkok Bank account is not established yet then you need to do that to use the NY

branch as a transfer.

Try to find those $1000 cheques but if not $500's are very common & still

quite a but less bulky than all hundreds in cash.

edit:

One last thing is if you do take cash in hundred dollar bills make sure they are not the older small head hundreds.

Many places do not want to accept them

Flying - thanks for your tips. I should have just left the money invested in a bank instead of buying into the "the sky is falling" mentality years ago. been changing bulky dirty 20's and 50's into 100's for the last month. Now i will have to go and look at the 100's. Great! I am afraid the bank tellers are going to think the worst....at least we are all on first name basis now. Kcore

Flying - thanks for your tips. I should have just left the money invested in a bank instead of buying into the "the sky is falling" mentality years ago. been changing bulky dirty 20's and 50's into 100's for the last month. Now i will have to go and look at the 100's. Great! I am afraid the bank tellers are going to think the worst....at least we are all on first name basis now. Kcore

:)

No problem

Actually most banks are aware of it & if you just say your going to Asia they are hip to the old hundreds thing.

you want these

hundred20dollar20bill.jpg

Not these

HundredDollarBill.jpg

:)

No problem

Actually most banks are aware of it & if you just say your going to Asia they are hip to the old hundreds thing.

you want these

hundred20dollar20bill.jpg

Not these

HundredDollarBill.jpg

Sh.t, i got a lot of the little guys.....oh well not travling for a few months..thanks again

Didn't bring nearly that amount into the country this past Friday. And wasn't asked any questions about amounts

of money/dollars with me when boarding at St. Louis, Houston, Tokyo. Actually it was so smooth sailing I thought something wrong. Even at Suvarnabhumi no questions asked. Maybe I was just lucky or I look innocent. :)