Thais Hunt For Missing Hippo At Chiang Mai Night Safari

george

:):D:D:D

You couldnt make this up!

A baby hippo, last seen having a nice soak in the bath at the hospital, waits for the security guard to fall asleep before making good his escape.

It's the funniest thing i've read in TV for ages. This is funnier than George's April Fool's threads.

How hard exactly can it be to find a hippo in Chiang Mai?

Has anyone checked the beer bars? He might have disguised himself in there.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

wow either total incompetence or a planned theft (for what reason I couldn't guess) but a baby hippo is still a big bloody animal & would be noticed wandering around.

There is a lot of wild country behind the Night Safari going up toward Doi Pui, so if he went that way, lots of jungle and creeks to hide in. I mountain bike up there, and I guess I better start packing my "Hippo-B-Gone!"

Well, this is just the kind of thing that happens given that

Chiang Mai is now separated from Bangkok and Thailand, in the hands of goons, thugs and other assorted insurrectionists

and now baby hippo stealers........ :D

it's probably time to declare martial law in CM. Tourists aren't comfortable about going there any more.

Let's hope the zoo looks after the baby panda better - otherwise the last two remaining tourists here will probably decide to get on those evacuation flights after all......... :)

Hospital staff found tracks leading to a nearby forest in the Chiang Mai Night Safari, which covers 127.6 hectares.

Officials dispatched 100 people to search for the hippo, but prospects of its survival are deemed low in light of the animal's youth and poor health.

Guess I am lacking a sense of humor on this one.

I can't imagine how the hippo got out on its own but either way, its prospects are sadly, apparently, very poor.

The security guard fell asleep. How typical

Like that never happens in Falangland !?

Oh come on now. The amount of times security guards fall asleep on the job in Thailand is unlike anywhere else in the world! Get real. In any other country they would be fired immediately.

The zoo, situated about 650 kilometres north of Bangkok, has been the target of criticism for poor management and mistreatment of animals in the past.

The mistreatment of ALL animals, wild or not, in this so called buddhist country makes me sick every single day.

It is unbelievable and a shame for every human beeing how Thais treat all kinds of lifeforms. In my opinion they are in the most cases not worth called Buddhists!

A buddhist is not "Buddha". The most important thing is, he can realise his weaknesses and rectify them later :)

Does the zoo have a reward?

I might have to go with the poster who says he was smuggled out. I mean do you really have a man to guard a hippo, which is a very dangerous animal? Not a fence, gate or barrier?

Poor baby hippo. He has probably been made into an aphrodisiac in China by now.

And about Thai's treating animals badly I too have seen Thai's that feed the strays and go to temples to feed and rescue street dogs.etc. etc.

In America factory farming is certainly worst then kicking a stray. So anyone, let's say in America, who is not a vegetarian really contributes to and support the intense cruelty to animals.

here is just one example.. incase you had no idea.(add the www)

youtube.com/watch?v=ZMx7w9DD7Xk&feature=player_embedded

Edited by MisterMan

I can't imagine how the hippo got out on its own but either way, its prospects are sadly, apparently, very poor.

I agree. Unfortunately, the Thai equivalent of "bush meat" (as it's called in Africa) is not unknown hereabouts.

Pity you didn't quote all of my post tho, Steve. It said the hippo was very young and in poor health. I suspect that will contribute more to its demise if it isn't, as misterman suspects, already being made into an aphrodisiac.

I agree. Unfortunately, the Thai equivalent of "bush meat" (as it's called in Africa) is not unknown hereabouts.

Pity you didn't quote all of my post tho, Steve. It said the hippo was very young and in poor health. I suspect that will contribute more to its demise if it isn't, as misterman suspects, already being made into an aphrodisiac.

Agreed.

Only feel sorry for the hippo, you think the guard has any feelings towards the matter?

I am sorry to say but for a buddhist country, Thai people have no compassion for animals at all. so many times, you see animal being run over and the driver does not even bother to stop to see if animal can be helped. Or even slow down to avoid hitting the animal.

So many homeless cats and dogs that are kicked and pushed away, rather then giving them some food.

So many pet shops selling live animals and not taking any care of them. Examples being keeping 2 large breed dogs in a small cage, so the dogs can not even move. Cats being held in a tiny cage even once they grow up. When the baby animal gets sick while in the care of the shop, no medical help is given(it cost money)

I personally know 1 shop where 5-9 dogs and cats die weekly due to sickness and the owner does not give a ^%&*.

SO SAD

:)

This thread isnt about the generalization of whether Thai's treat animals well or not.

Mods !

so MR MarkG, may be you will explain to us what the THREAD/TOPIC is all about???? about some funny stuff over a sleeping watchman? or a Thai watchman cant take care of something small like a Hippo? PLEASE EXPLAIN, we are looking forward what the thread is about! :D :D

@ knuffi,

I know exactly what you mean, but I am not talking about dogs and cats which I hate anyway because they eat birds and all the other small necessary animals which keep the insect population down. Dogs eat also snakes btw and snakes prey on mice....unfortunately we have a lot here and the population is exploding because there are no natural enemys for mouses anymore. What cats and dogs dont eat Thais do :D

In Australia the RSPCA spends eighty million dollars a year. In Brisbane RSPCA alone, they put down 1,000 cats and dogs a week!!!!!

That is a fact. Mistreatment of animals is a world wide phenomenon and not confined to any one country.

You couldnt make this up!

A baby hippo, last seen having a nice soak in the bath at the hospital, waits for the security guard to fall asleep before making good his escape.

It's the funniest thing i've read in TV for ages. This is funnier than George's April Fool's threads.

How hard exactly can it be to find a hippo in Chiang Mai?

Has anyone checked the beer bars? He might have disguised himself in there.

I think that Jack Bauer is involved here!

:) Good way to draw attention to a place that desperately needs people to show up and pay the fee to enter. It is a sad sad park if you can call it that. Hippo lost??? I don't believe it. Were the 100 so called searchers wearing identical shirts with baby hippo lost on them?? Media attention good or bad always gets you in the talk. Just look at places like this.

The Chiangmai Nightsafari has proper cameras installed and the whole place is fenced off. Hippos do not climb fences as monkeys do so he should have made a big hole somewhere in the fence if he did get out. Ridiculous is however that he went missing on Thursday and only by Sunday people will start looking for it.

In Thailand thousands of animals go missing from zoos, usually with help from the inside. Where most of these numbers are smaller animals such as birds and reptiles, we know about the smuggling out of gibbons and even orangutans and tigers. When it concerns these bigger sized or more endangered animals management is usually involved.

In the past many animals died at the night safari without any obvious reason, an even higher number has disappeared, while other animals such as illegally traded orangutans and lemurs showed up at this facility without any documents...

These things happen in zoos elsewhere as well, but not that often and it would definitely not take 4 days to get around. There is something smelly on this case and it ain't the hippo poo!

Edwin Wiek

Wildlife Friends Foundation

Poor baby hippo. He has probably been made into an aphrodisiac in China by now.

My suspicion also. The Chinese are known to lust after all types of exotic animals (and many plants) in their insatiable grab for aphrodesiacs (a.k.a. dick hardeners). Whether or not an animal is endangered is no impediment, in fact it makes the item costlier, and therefore more desirable. Rhinos, tigers, bears, are valuable, why not hippos. They're the most dangerous animal in Africa, as per human fatalities, so it would follow that Chinese see them as particularly aggresssive/ferocious, therefore perfect fodder for an aphrodisiac. How much would it cost for a security guard to 'look the other way' for 20 minutes - Maybe Bt.1,000?

What surprises me is no one else on-site noticed. Even if the animal were carried in a sack, it would need at least 2 strong men, and certainly cause suspicion.

Fireworks and loudspeakers have been emanting from the Night Safari/Royal Flora all week long. The animals must be absolutely terrified, as are most of the cats and dogs who live anywhere nearby. They need to close this place down immediately and if they don't people need to stop visiting it.

Edited by lannarebirth

"The zoo, situated about 650 kilometres north of Bangkok, has been the target of criticism for poor management and mistreatment of animals in the past."

I hope that people don't equate the Night Safari with the Chiang Mai Zoo which has far superior management and treatment of animals.

Edited by prism

, Thai people have no compassion for animals at all. so many times,

I believe this is nonsense. I see Thais feeding feral dogs and cats everyday in Pattaya. I never see them running over dogs and cats either. In other countries in the region they're looked upon as food.

From what I see generally, Thais love animals.

It would be a lot more useful to pick up the ex owners and not feed them for a week...

, Thai people have no compassion for animals at all. so many times,

I believe this is nonsense. I see Thais feeding feral dogs and cats everyday in Pattaya. I never see them running over dogs and cats either. In other countries in the region they're looked upon as food.

From what I see generally, Thais love animals.

However this time there is a major difference: liking anymals or buying them food...

try telling your wife or girlfriend you bring a young hippo home but it needs FOOD...