Transportation Choices To Bangkok

LadyHeather

I may need to go to Bangkok for a few days in the next week or two and have found that most of the low priced flight tickets are sold out. And, I suspect by the time I am sure if I need to go or not, flights will be sold out period.

Other than the VIP coach and the train (both of which are overnight) is there anything else? A friend told me the drive to Bangkok is only 6-7 hours, if this is true, why does the coach take so long?

Driving is more expensive than almost everything else if you factor everything in. (fuel, maintenance, wear, 'risk'. And that's assuming you already own a car. If you rent then you can add that as well.

Overnight bus is about 9 hours. Get a ticket from the Arcade bus station. Nakhon Chai Air is a good company there. You can take an overnight bus or day bus. Same as the train: sleeper is nice, or day train.

I just flew 1-2-Go (aka 1-2-Crash) last week to Bangkok

One way was 1000 THB total.

I was asleep at the switch and didn't book it r/t for a total of 2000. Waited a day, and had to pay a whopping 2550 total, including all taxes and fees.

Flew 10 AM ish to Don Muang.

Return departure time was 3 PM ish.

(With 1-2-Go all departure times are "ish") :)

Driving is more expensive than almost everything else if you factor everything in. (fuel, maintenance, wear, 'risk'. And that's assuming you already own a car. If you rent then you can add that as well.

Overnight bus is about 9 hours. Get a ticket from the Arcade bus station. Nakhon Chai Air is a good company there. You can take an overnight bus or day bus. Same as the train: sleeper is nice, or day train.

I wonder if that is the company that runs the fleet of modern Mercedes Benz single deckers? If so, having used them to and from Bkk exactly 2 years ago, I agree 100%.

Not being double/high deckers, they are more stable and statistically safer (lower centre of gravity). The seats are totally adjustable and have a massage facility built in. There is a hostess and free soft drinks and snacky meals. Good toilet, and over-loud TV and over-cool air-con were our only gripes.

Most vitally, the drivers were steady and responsible.

I took NCA VIP to Pattaya two months ago, 720 baht each way, 3 stops for passenger and one for food. CM to Pattaya 11 hours. Great service.

Time table in English http://primia.net/thaibus/..

gotlost, I am assuming that is how my friend makes it to Bangkok in 6-7 hours then.

Elektrified, thank you for the rather pointless post pointing out my options but I am afraid that your attempt at wit was just that. But, cheers for the effort anyway.

Winniethekhwai and gotlost, thank you for your helpful responses. I am not particularly fond of coaches, I find the seats rather cramped and do not have much success at sleeping sitting up. I assume day coaches also take 10 hours. I had hoped to cut down on the time. It seems I have limited options, I was considering the train since a sleeper is more comfortable than a seat. A friend who recently took the train to Bangkok said they are now using newer cars. Does anyone have any experience on this? Was he lucky to have gotten a newer car (large lower bunks and power points at certain seats) or is this now standard on the Northern route?

Edited by LadyHeather

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at transportation choices from Bangkok to Chang Mai. Just wondering about the train service? If this has been discussed before and I couldn't find it, could someone please post a link? Thanks.

I'm just wondering about time, prices and how far in advance you can book. Thanks.

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at transportation choices from Bangkok to Chang Mai. Just wondering about the train service? If this has been discussed before and I couldn't find it, could someone please post a link? Thanks.

I'm just wondering about time, prices and how far in advance you can book. Thanks.

http://www.chiangmai1.com/chiang_mai/train_bus.shtml

http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm

Hi Everyone,

We used the Train back in February and caught the sleeper at 6pm which amazingly arrived in Bangkok only 20 minutes late. This was counter-balanced by being five and a half hours late into Chiang Mai on the return journey a week later. No explanations for that from staff whatsoever and they said they didn't have a reason! All I know is that I woke up during the night and the train was at a standstill for some considerable time before I went back to sleep again.

No problem with booking the outward journey at the Railway Station only the day before departure but best to book your return as soon as you arrive in Bangkok or you may not get back on the day you would like to. The sleeper train is reasonably comfortable but take your own food. I have a few friends that have eaten in the buffet car and they have all ended up with sickness problems. Looking at the 1950's buffet cars and the general conditions inside them, it's easy to see why you shouldn't eat in them.