Cannot Ftp After Latest Ms Updates

Crushdepth

I was trying to upload a new website last night when the FTP program (Filezilla) started behaving erratically, then crapped out, then couldn't connect at all.

After much wasting of time trying to find the problem, it turns out that the latest MS updates I automatically downloaded screwed up the XP firewall - it is now blocking FTP completely, even though Filezilla and Dreamweaver are both listed as exceptions. The 'notify when blocking' isn't working either. Solution ? Turn it off and get a (non-MS) firewall. Everything works perfectly.

I am starting to really hate those guys.

I use Zone Alarm. It works well on my W2K installation. I have heard that the xP firewall is useless, and that it does not block any windows connections. XP has (I read) more than 13 different services that dial home. 3rd party firewalls will not allow this if you set them up correctly. This could be an advantage for those on pirate versions as M$ are disabling Windows Media Player when updates or codecs are requested on a known pirate key.

Zone Alarm is free. The full eddition is available on most of the program discs you can buy, but it chews up more resources than the free eddition which works fine for me.

Tiny Personal Firewall I have also read is quite good.

I use Zone Alarm. It works well on my W2K installation.

I still use zonealarm

the only quibble I have with it is after every update It seems to give permission to all the microsoft oriface products to access tínternet, so I have to manually go through and block them.