If Life In Thailand Is So Fulfilling.....

GuestHouse

It occurred to me today that I just don't seem to have much spare time to goof around on Thaivisa - well not when I'm in Thailand that is.

When I was living in the middle of Saudi Arabia things were different, not a great deal to do except Goof around on TV.

Then I notice that the most vociferous exponents of the 'If you don't like it go home' argument are members who have huge post counts. At least one of these guys is not in Thailand full time, but still manages to knock out thousands of posts during his 'visits' here.

So what's going on, does life in Thailand offer the fulfillment and distractions for some as does life in an Aramco Camp in the middle of the Saudi Desert does for others?

Never visited Saudi Arabia, but I would guess that there is more freedom and variety in Thailand and much fun here to be had that suits all tastes.

But like everything, it all depends how much money you have. Socializing is an expensive hobby, so for many of us on budgets fun and outings are becoming a luxury these days.

Edited by BigWheelMan

Depends where I am in LOS. In Bangkok last week & was online for about an hour a day, checking in with tv & emails etc, up here in KK there is little to do (esp since the car is in the shop) & so am online all day on & off from wake up till bed. Will be off to the beach in a few weeks & expect to have less time than now as a lot more to do & see & people to visit.

I'd imagine if you lived in a remote place with little to do &/or a strict budget then online is the most fun you will be having every day & also a lot of people find themselves isolated from English speakers so online is a way to interact too.

"does life in Thailand offer the fulfillment and distractions for some as does life in an Aramco Camp in the middle of the Saudi Desert does for others?"

I too have never been to Saudi, but I tell everyone who asks how life is here that I am "satisfyingly bored" in Thailand. The weather is warm here most of the time, so its up to the individual if he or she wishes to fill every waking moment with an activity, or simply lounge around and do nothing at all and enjoy it. Club Med has a corporate slogan that I can well attribute to my lifestyle in Thailand... Thailand is the "antedote to civilization." Too stressed out at home? Come here and chill out. It works for me.

Edited by rideswings

When I'm in Thailand I hardly ever visit ThaiVisa, why should I? The real thing lies just outside the door and, despite all their frailties and faults, I quite enjoy face to face contact with these cute little carbon based life forms. :D

Currently I am "between jobs" as I like to put it so apart from checking my e mails and sending off job app's I have time to kill during the day. I have, for the time being, based myself in HCMC because, quite frankly, the place carries a bit more credibility than Thailand. Job applications from expats based in Thailand usuall carry some unwelcome imagery baggage. :)

So once I've done with job hunting, which I'm not persuing too vigourously as I'm okay financially for a good while yet, and I've read some on-line newspapers I'll spend some time antagonising the "this is Thailand, if you don't like it blah blah" brigade. :D

Having spent nearly 25 years in Saudi Arabia, I can assure you LOS is much more relaxing and enjoyable.

When I was in Saudi, I had a good job that allowed me plenty of time to browse the internet.

Now that I am retired I still have plenty of time to browse the internet. I live in a small village outside Udorn with no other American or UK type farangs living here so getting together for a beer isn't an option.

I seem to now have four options to fill my declining years.

1. Internet browsing along with it's associated forums.

2. Watching the grass grow.

3. Catching news and sports on UBC/True TV.

4. Talking with my wife.

Since number 4 generally leads to an argument and numbers 2 and 3 lead to naps, I spend an inordinate amount of time at number 1. :)

I work in Saudi and except for legal booze and horizontal entertainment basically anything else is available same as in Thailand. Not in the desert of course but in the area where I live (Dammam - Khobar) we've got starbucks, mcdonalds, pizzahut etc, huge shopping malls, gyms and more. Bahrain, which is the brothel of the Gulf nowadays, is one hour drive away so things are not as bad as some people might think.

Having spent nearly 25 years in Saudi Arabia, I can assure you LOS is much more relaxing and enjoyable.

When I was in Saudi, I had a good job that allowed me plenty of time to browse the internet.

Now that I am retired I still have plenty of time to browse the internet. I live in a small village outside Udorn with no other American or UK type farangs living here so getting together for a beer isn't an option.

4. Talking with my wife.

Since number 4 generally leads to an argument and numbers 2 and 3 lead to naps, I spend an inordinate amount of time at number 1. :)

HA hahaaha I like number 4, I sit here now trying to speak with my wife about somethings in Thailand and she just clams up or dissapears into the bathroom. Cant seem to handle anything even remotley serious at all.

Many people do not grasp the basic meaning of the word "Retired", I have been so for almost 10 years now, I am living in my Golden years.

I do a lot of building at my house a Pizza oven,an underground BBQ and am now in the process of building a Smoker (to make my own bacon and hams),

I also am the only resident Falang in my village ,my Thai rice farmer friends are out working their fields during the day, we visit at night.

I am blessed with a wonderful wife and her two daughters which take up most of my time!

So I also have my computer and Satellite TV, to use when I can not sleep at night.

I live a full life that meets my needs!

The Last place I would Chose to live in this World is Saudi, You can have it.

Cheers:

Edited by kikoman

Many people do not grasp the basic meaning of the word "Retired", I have been so for almost 10 years now, I am living in my Golden years.

I do a lot of building at my house a Pizza oven,an underground BBQ and am now in the process of building a Smoker (to make my own bacon and hams),

I also am the only resident Falang in my village ,my Thai rice farmer friends are out working their fields during the day, we visit at night.

I am blessed with a wonderful wife and her two daughters which take up most of my time!

So I also have my computer and Satellite TV, to use when I can not sleep at night.

Cheers:

you should open a school to teach all the farang gettign robbed in udonthani how to succesfully come here and retire..

Building stuff to make great food looks insanely fun. (not sarcasm :))

yabaaaa' date='2009-12-07 21:07:36' post='3188708']'chuckd' post='3187585' date='2009-12-07 11:41:17']Having spent nearly 25 years in Saudi Arabia, I can assure you LOS is much more relaxing and enjoyable.

4. Talking with my wife.

HA hahaaha I like number 4, I sit here now trying to speak with my wife about somethings in Thailand and she just clams up or dissapears into the bathroom. Cant seem to handle anything even remotley serious at all.

You guys must be having a fine life with Thai wives like yours , cannot talk to them without it turning into an argument or her running away to the bath room , glad I never married a witch like that , no wonder balcony jumping is so popular . :D

I've never been to Saudi, but I've been to Oklahoma.

High post count - guilty.

"If you don't like Thailand, leave" - not guilty. I stay here because I want to.

"Does life in Thailand offer the fulfillment and distractions for some as does life in an Aramco Camp in the middle of the Saudi Desert does for others?" I dunno. Watching rice grow is a delight.

Without drinking and bar hopping and not much interest in running after 99.9% of the Thai girls that are on offer to us farang, Thailand has a lot less to offer then i used to think.

Tried golf and what a dreadful idea that sport is, reading is ok but its not that exciting is it, i go to the gym most days and do a lot of cooking, but i'd say at this time in my life LOS doesnt offer as much fulfillment as what i would have if i were scamming and scheming with my mates back in England, but i'll be working in the Middle East soon and ive no doubt i'll be looking forward to getting back.

One thing with work is you'll always meet a better breed of people then you will in LOS and it can be a good laugh making the best of whatever situation you are in.

Oh yes i'm here as my kiddy who wasnt made in this country is here, so please dont tell me to <deleted> off home unless you wish to raise her.

Edited by whichschool

As others stated, why go on TV much when in LOS ? In my case..because i have to work a few more years in Canada, when i go to LOS its only for a few months, so I have no time or inclination to go on TV, as I'm too busy enjoying myself hanging with the Thai family, going for massages, working out, beaches, travelling, shopping.. on and on..while when I'm there for 6 months or more at a stretch in a few years, i would probably go on more. .as it is.. for the short 2 months i go to LOS..I go online to check stocks to make a few bucks, and check email..no time for TV, or I feel i'm on the bloody computer too much

At the end of the day, everything good or bad comes from established routine,

One's fulfillment and distractions is another's comfortable numbness, :)

You got that right. Even with the beautiful beaches, shopping, and other things to keep one mildly entertained, at the end of the day we are all creatures of habit. My family (wife and son) keep me occupied enough. Would it be any different back in my home country? Hardly, although I think that Thailand is less hassle when it comes to raising a family, but even this has its ups and downs.

Thailand is no more exciting (or boring) than any other place on earth.

What most consider "exciting" is just manufactured anyway and sooner or later becomes routine. :D

Edited by mizzi39

I work in Saudi and except for legal booze and horizontal entertainment basically anything else is available same as in Thailand. Not in the desert of course but in the area where I live (Dammam - Khobar) we've got starbucks, mcdonalds, pizzahut etc, huge shopping malls, gyms and more. Bahrain, which is the brothel of the Gulf nowadays, is one hour drive away so things are not as bad as some people might think.

You say things arnt that bad? Starbucks,mccrap ,pizzahut? God your life must be awfull :)

My life would be fulfilled if someone like this took pity upon me and fed me. :D

I do a lot of building at my house a Pizza oven,an underground BBQ and am now in the process of building a Smoker (to make my own bacon and hams), I also am the only resident Falang in my village ,my Thai rice farmer friends are out working their fields during the day, we visit at night.

Cheers:

My neighbours are such crochety turds. What I'd give to have someone from a home where there will always be something good to eat.

Golden years? Sounds more like a much better version of the golden arches. Nothing fills a tummy better than really good home made pizza, although real slow roasted BBQ chicken is good too and I bet someone could be convinced to smoke some fish. Now that's fulfilling.

Ok, sorry, back to finger pointing, but now I'm sort of hungry. :)

4. Talking with my wife.

:D:D:D Same problems but more lucky then you, i live on the 29th floor and have no grass, and give up talking to my wife.