Western Digital Wdtv Live

PNGinBKK

As its been posted in another thread that the WD TV Live is now on sale in Bangkok , Has any one seen it any where else yet ?

They are selling in Panthip Plaza in Bangkok, there's even a Western Digital outlet in there now. Around 4,500thb for the base model WD TV media player and an exorbitant 6,900thb for the WD TV Live media player, which also connects to the net or LAN.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to keep the topic going, as I'm still looking for a WD TV Live in Thailand :D

WD TV Drive Comparison Link

TL :)

Bought one of those for my Dad for Christmas (purchased in Singapore, not Thailand though) for him to use with his plasma TV. It's excellent, anyone who sees it in your house is likely to want to buy one for themselves. Compatibility with avi and mkv files downloaded from various sources has thus far been 100% and it can even do neat things such as playing DVD content straight out of an ISO file. Picture quality is excellent; sound quality is a little less so (it sounds fine playing back your typically movie but audiophiles will likely find it lacking in quality compared to a mid-priced CD player when playing back FLAC files that were ripped from CD's). The networking connectivity is cool but a bit quirky - it can be a battle to get it to see all of the computers on your network and if you intend to playback ISO copies of DVD's or BlueRay content off a networked PC you might want to use a wired ethernet connection instead of a wifi adapter as the latter can be prone to stuttering/freezing. My Dad has an old G wifi adapter that seems to be benchmarking at (only) about 8 Mb/sec inside his house and it's not up to the task of playing back uncompressed DVD content over the network but no such problems exist when playing mkv rips of the same content. With a wired connection that problem disappears. Overall, I'd say that it's a great product - not just good for the money but just plain good.

Just to keep the topic going, as I'm still looking for a WD TV Live in Thailand :D

TL :D

Bought one of those for my Dad for Christmas (purchased in Singapore, not Thailand though) for him to use with his plasma TV. It's excellent, anyone who sees it in your house is likely to want to buy one for themselves. Compatibility with avi and mkv files downloaded from various sources has thus far been 100% and it can even do neat things such as playing DVD content straight out of an ISO file. Picture quality is excellent; sound quality is a little less so (it sounds fine playing back your typically movie but audiophiles will likely find it lacking in quality compared to a mid-priced CD player when playing back FLAC files that were ripped from CD's). The networking connectivity is cool but a bit quirky - it can be a battle to get it to see all of the computers on your network and if you intend to playback ISO copies of DVD's or BlueRay content off a networked PC you might want to use a wired ethernet connection instead of a wifi adapter as the latter can be prone to stuttering/freezing. My Dad has an old G wifi adapter that seems to be benchmarking at (only) about 8 Mb/sec inside his house and it's not up to the task of playing back uncompressed DVD content over the network but no such problems exist when playing mkv rips of the same content. With a wired connection that problem disappears. Overall, I'd say that it's a great product - not just good for the money but just plain good.

Hi, Thanks for the report its appreciated. :) hopefully it won't be long until its available in Thailand and especially out side of Bangkok,

:D

Hi, Thanks for the report its appreciated. :) hopefully it won't be long until its available in Thailand and especially out side of Bangkok,

One pleasant surprise with the WD was the quality of avi files when viewed on a big plasma set. Those avi files are SD and typically have sizes of about about 350 Mb per hour vs about 1.2 Gb per hour for mkv 720p files. I expected the mkv files to look good but the avi files, while noticeable lower resolution, are close enough that a casual viewer might not notice that they aren't HD. I really don't understand why they look as good as they do.

Only real complaint about the unit involves the software controls. While it will let you fast forward though a movie at 16X speed, it won't let you jump ahead to a specific time not to jump ahead x minutes. That's a bit of a hassle if you need to restart a movie and want to skip halfway though it.

Edited by OriginalPoster

One pleasant surprise with the WD was the quality of avi files when viewed on a big plasma set. Those avi files are SD and typically have sizes of about about 350 Mb per hour vs about 1.2 Gb per hour for mkv 720p files. I expected the mkv files to look good but the avi files, while noticeable lower resolution, are close enough that a casual viewer might not notice that they aren't HD. I really don't understand why they look as good as they do.

Only real complaint about the unit involves the software controls. While it will let you fast forward though a movie at 16X speed, it won't let you jump ahead to a specific time not to jump ahead x minutes. That's a bit of a hassle if you need to restart a movie and want to skip halfway though it.

Hi, so far it seem's the reviews are fairly positive..

More Reading ..

WD TV Live Tutorials .... Link

WD-TV Live Owners Thread .... Link

List of devices that can be connected to a WD TV Live HD Media Player......Link

WD TV Forum ..... Link

Hi, so far it seem's the reviews are fairly positive..

More Reading ..

WD TV Live Tutorials .... Link

WD-TV Live Owners Thread .... Link

List of devices that can be connected to a WD TV Live HD Media Player......Link

WD TV Forum ..... Link

I accidentally discovered a cool (seemingly) undocumented feature of the WDTV-Live player that allows you to read/write files to any external hard drive connected to the WDTV-Live from another computer that is attached to the network. Basically it goes like this:

1) Bring a USB hard-drive to a Windows machine and under Window's File Explorer give it a drive label that you will be able to remember (for instance, name it MYDRIVE).

2) Set up networking on your WDTV-Live box and connect it to your home network by following WD's instructions.

3) Unplug the USB hard-drive from your windows machine and plug it into you WDTV-Live box. Leave that drive plugged into the WDTV-Live box forever more.

4) Go to a windows machine and map a network drive to \\192.168.X.Y\MYDRIVE (you'll need to replace the string 192.168.X.Y with the actual IP address that your WDTV-Live box has on your home network).

5) Now you copy files to/from your Windows machine to the shared drive corresponding to \\192.168.X.Y\MYDRIVE

Using his method this method (or some variant of it) essentially allows you to have as much on-board hard drive space as you want on the WDTV-Live just by plugging into one of the WDTV-Live's USB ports, and to use that harddrive from all computers on your network just like it was a Network Access Storage (NAS) drive.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Just remembered this post. I found the WD TV Live player online yesterday, here

Thanks for that :D

I hope these products are of considerably higher quality than their range of other peripherals.

I have had numerous (more than 6.) HDs of theirs crash for no reason and lost vast ammounts of data.

Their support for such products has been terrible.

I will never ever buy another WD product again in life.

Caviat Emptor.

Just remembered this post. I found the WD TV Live player online yesterday, here

Great news, thanks!

As this shop is in Hua Hin, I may have to use their online shop. Any experiences with "invadeIT", are they reliable?

Is there a place where I can get this in Chiang Mai is well? I've seen places at Fortune IT Mall selling them but not in Chiang Mai yet.

I bought one a year ago at Pantip PLaza in Chiang Mai. It has no wireless, but maybe they have a newer model by now. Payed 5000 Bath and even if I have to move the HD from my computer to the TV, it is a wonderful gadget. We wacht tons of movies all from Rapidshare.

Thank you, ordered now by InvadeIt (hope everything will be fine!).

P.S.: I have the WD TV more than one year already. It is working wonderfully. Cannot say the same for the WD hard disks, everybody talk bad about them.

As this shop is in Hua Hin, I may have to use their online shop. Any experiences with "invadeIT", are they reliable?

There has been a thread about them earlier, here

Thanks, that looks good!

But on their website it says, the WD TV live is not in stock, but can be ordered in short notice from distributor.

So there must be a distributor and that makes me think, there must be shops in BKK selling them as well....

Will go to Fortune and have a look if I can find it there.

Does anyone know if these WD TV live thingos can be set up using a wifi dongle.

As I understand, you can connect certain Wifi Dongles to the USB socket of the WD TV Live. There is a list which models are compatible, but probably other models will work as well.

As I understand, you can connect certain Wifi Dongles to the USB socket of the WD TV Live. There is a list which models are compatible, but probably other models will work as well.

Sweet, hopefully my extremely expensive and now useless Xbox360 wifi adaptor might work.

Does anyone know if these WD TV live thingos can be set up using a wifi dongle.

That's correct, but there is some advantage to using a wire connection if you can. 1080p files, for instance, choke my WDTV box when I use wireless but when I use a wired connection they play back smoothly. Wifi seems to be marginal for playing DVD's over the WDTV too. Wifi seems fine for 720p files though.

That's correct, but there is some advantage to using a wire connection if you can. 1080p files, for instance, choke my WDTV box when I use wireless but when I use a wired connection they play back smoothly. Wifi seems to be marginal for playing DVD's over the WDTV too. Wifi seems fine for 720p files though.

Before my Xobox got banned i had no issues with streaming 1080p movies over the wifi.

Edited by Spoonman

I've been reading about this WD Live and the Playon! HD.

Can you run a bit-torrent software like utorrent directly on the WD Live and download directly to it from the Internet by using a usb hardrive attached to it? Basically I don't want to use my computer.

Thanks

Hi there.

Just a little warning for you guys. MAke sure before you buy the WDTV unit that you are buying the 2nd generation model! I bought one a month ago and turned out it was the 1st generation that is incapable of decoding DTS.

Hi, Have I got this right ? :D

First generation is ... WD TV

Second generation is ... WD TV Live

Hi there.

Just a little warning for you guys. MAke sure before you buy the WDTV unit that you are buying the 2nd generation model! I bought one a month ago and turned out it was the 1st generation that is incapable of decoding DTS.

Hi, Have I got this right ? :D

First generation is ... WD TV

Second generation is ... WD TV Live

You're partly right.

There's first generation WD TV and second generation WD TV that is released as the same time as WD TV Live. WD TV Live is capable of doing everything the 2nd gen WD TV can.

I've been reading about this WD Live and the Playon! HD.

Can you run a bit-torrent software like utorrent directly on the WD Live and download directly to it from the Internet by using a usb hardrive attached to it? Basically I don't want to use my computer.

Thanks

I have the Playon!HD myself, and that has built-in torrent download support. It has a webinterface for adding/managing downloads or you can add the torrent files to the hard drive and use the remote control to start the downloads.

I don't know about the WD TV Live, but I would imagine it has the same features, except for the internal hard drive.