Uk Spouse Visa Valid In France?

so your friend is a member of the schengen state living in UK not a UK passport holder right? And does his wife have an EU family permit or a British settlement visa?

These are important pieces of information that you didn't make clear when you posted clearly misleading information to the op.

There is nothing "know it all" in my post only the actual facts. If you can provide the link that proves that the wife of a UK passport holder with a UK Settlement visa is entitled to travel to the Schengen countries without a visa then please provide it as that is not the situation as you have now laid it out.

Edited by doomster

Too clarify, as there has been some misleading and ill informed information posted here.

Northern Ireland is part of the UK; therefore a UK visa is valid for Northern Ireland.

The Republic of Ireland is not part of the UK, therefore a UK visa is not valid for the RoI and a RoI visa is not valid for any part of the UK, including Northern Ireland.

The RoI constitution says that anyone born in Northern Ireland is a RoI citizen and so is entitled to a RoI passport. As they are also British they are, of course, also entitled to a UK one.

It is true that if travelling by land or sea the border controls between the UK and RoI are practically non existent and it is unlikely that a passport would be checked. However, if a visa national were to enter the UK from the RoI without the appropriate visa then they would be in the UK illegally; and vice versa.

Neither the UK nor the RoI are members of the Schengen area; so a Schengen visa is not valid for either. Neither is a UK or RoI visa valid for the Schengen area.

Spouses of an EU citizen who need to obtain a Schengen visa only have to complete a small part of the application form (see form) and the visa is free and should be issued with the minimum of delay.

A Schengen visa must be free to the spouse of an EU citizen, and no admin charges are allowed. However, some embassies in the UK insist on applicants making an appointment via a premium rate phone number!

A Schengen visa is valid for all member countries. One should apply to the embassy of the country one intends to enter first, but you can change your mind after the visa is issued and enter via a different country.

EEA family permits are different to Schengen visas. They allow any EEA citizen exercising their treaty rights to live in another EEA state to have their nonEEA spouse and children join them. They are not valid for the country of which the EEA national is a citizen, except in certain circumstances.

If anyone disagrees with any of the above, will they provide a link to an official site to substantiate their point.

PS. Calling someone with whom you disagree a 'know it all' or similar will not be tolerated. Any further comments along these

Sorry - i have read much more direct comments on these boards and didnt realize that refering to someone as a know it all was a banning offence.

PS my friend is obviously from Ireland (southern) as Northern is part of Uk. What i state is fact but due to the unfriendly response i will say no more. The op can just do a little homework.

I didnt realise that i would be required to prove my suggestion and be accused of misleading peopel>

Edited by doomster

Doomster, advice is always welcome, but what you have posted is incomplete and misleading and appears to contradict what are the actual facts; hence requests for official confirmation of your viewpoint.

Visas can be a complicated area and the wrong advice, no matter how well intended, can have disastrous consequences if followed.

When I and others post advice here we are usually ready and able to provide official confirmation if necessary.

If I or other regular posters in this forum post an opinion on visa regulations which is later shown to be wrong, we accept the correction.

"The op can just do a little homework."

As the OP I can assure you that I have, once the useful word "Schengen" was added to my vocabulary. I am very grateful to this site for several pointers on our difficult journey towards achieving a UK Visa for my Thai daughter-in-law. Everyone has to start somewhere when in unfamiliar territory, and I am very grateful to the people who have helped me here.

Every time I have been given advice, I have been able to do additional "homework" on it, with the result that my Thai daughter-in-law is recently home and safe in the UK.

Some advice is good, some not so good, but everything has been a pointer towards some official site that I never would have come across if it were not for the people here who offer their time and expertise to explain the apparently obvious to bewildered newcomers.

Thank you again.

The RoI constitution says that anyone born in Northern Ireland is a RoI citizen and so is entitled to a RoI passport.

Not any more it doesn't, Article 2 was changed in the 27 Amendment, but I guess I am only having a little fun. :)

Thanks for the update.

Do you know when this change happened; and is it retrospective?

Notwithstanding any other provision of this Constitution, a person born in the island of Ireland, which includes its islands and seas, who does not have, at the time of the birth of that person, at least one parent who is an Irish citizen or entitled to be an Irish citizen is not entitled to Irish citizenship or nationality, unless provided for by law.

This section shall not apply to persons born before the date of the enactment of this section.

Irish Statute Book

Approx 2004 amending the previous Belfast Agreement.

So no, according to 9.2.2 it cannot be applied retrospectively.

But as you can see, I was being a little mischievous :)

Being married to a UK citizen entitles her to visit any othere shezan country without a visa. Eg. if you your son and daughter were in Thailand then she could acompany him to France without a visa - although she would need a visa to visit her spouses home country - the UK.

This is a little know rule.

Somebody's taking the Pi55, I think.

Not at all> I have a friend living 6 months in England and 6 months in Thailand - married to a Thai. He has an Irish passport and takes his wife back and forth to the Uk without having to obtain a UK visa. She simply has her PP endorsed by the emassy. there is no visa application and can not be refused.

So check it out. As I said miss know it all boo - it is a little known rule. I am trying to be helpfull here. Read little known rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah,

but isn't Ireland a signatory of Shengen, even as Britain/Scotland/Wales grouped as the UK are not?

If I remember correctly there are essentially two Irelands one cleaved to UK the othe rnominally with UK, but also to EU, as itself.

Boo is correct about the transit visa,

visa in at a country of arrival and transit through all Shengen countries as you like.

but isn't Ireland a signatory of Schengen, even as Britain/Scotland/Wales grouped as the UK are not?

If I remember correctly there are essentially two Irelands one cleaved to UK the other nominally with UK, but also to EU, as itself.

No, The Republic of Ireland is not in The Schengen area, but as you correctly say neither is The United Kingdom and Northern Ireland.