Pad Krapow _______? How Do You Usually Have It?

Jingthing

What meat do you most often have with your pad krapow?  

106 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

OK, the great pad krapow poll. I am guessing pork will be the big winner, but who knows?

Frankly I have never seen pad krapow with fish. About the turkey choice, that used to my favorite way to cook it in the US, but have never seen that on a menu anywhere. I love pad krapow, can you tell?

post-37101-1260192479_thumb.jpg

True confession. I also like chicken with it. However, I also like a fried egg on top, but the idea of a chicken meat and a chicken egg in the same dish creeps me out! So I rarely order it that way. How weird is that?

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen pad krapow with prawns but never fish. I would have thought the delicate flavour would be swamped by the krapow. My favourite is split between either pork or, at a close second, beef. But it has to be cooked right, it needs that acrid cloud of smoke and chilli oil vapour that peels the eyeballs. :) Definitely one for the outdoor kitchen.

<edit : I voted mix it up although not entirely true>

Edited by PhilHarries

When it comes to Thai food, my girlfriend calls the shots. She's Muslim, so pork is out. She usually makes it with ground beef, and a fried egg on top. I'm not sure why, because there's always chicken and beef steak in the freezer, but she'll always grab the ground beef. If I go out to eat, I'll get pork or tofu, or both (pork and tofu mix nicely together in Asian cooking).

I've seen pad krapow with prawns but never fish. I would have thought the delicate flavour would be swamped by the krapow. My favourite is split between either pork or, at a close second, beef. But it has to be cooked right, it needs that acrid cloud of smoke and chilli oil vapour that peels the eyeballs. :) Definitely one for the outdoor kitchen.

<edit : I voted mix it up although not entirely true>

I would get it with beef more but as it is Thai beef, it ain't so good. I agree fish would usually not work well, probably the reason we don't see it. Squid is very common though.

The other thing about pad krapow. You can get it almost everywhere, and it is easy to cook, but it usually isn't that great. That is why when checking out a new casual Thai restaurant, pad krapow is my litmus test dish. If they can do that really well, its a good sign.

Edited by Jingthing

squid is my favourite,very spicy too.

Squid is my second favorite after pork. Hey, there is a squid option, so please vote!

Back to the fried egg option. I always get the fried egg with pork and I love it. However, I don't order a fried egg with squid because to me it just doesn't seem to fit. Do you people who order pad krapow with seafood get the fried egg with it?

Edited by Jingthing

The other thing about pad krapow. You can get it almost everywhere, and it is easy to cook, but it usually isn't that great. That is why when checking out a new casual Thai restaurant, pad krapow is my litmus test dish. If they can do that really well, its a good sign.

Totally agree. Quality of pad krapow varies wildly, a good indicator on how the rest of their food will be. Also a good indicator if they're going to give you spicy food if you ask for it.

Order chicken the most, but get ground pork or shrimp sometimes as well. Always have the egg, even with the shrimp. Eggs and seafood aren't exactly a natural match, I basically eat them separately.

Never had it with beef before, I haven't encountered it very often.

No nam pla? Perish the thought!
Squid is my favourite, but without the egg, second is pork but with the egg!

Both with nam pla though !! :D

Squid is my favourite, but without the egg, second is pork but with the egg!

Both with nam pla though !! :D

A man of good taste!

sumpin' fishy around here...I smell a naam pla conspiracy :)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

With chicken giblets, not just chicken liver, is quite good and common. However, many westerners are put off with the thought of eating offal. Try krapow kruang nai gai.

I prefer ground beef, but with added thinly sliced onions and sometimes string beans.

You will eat the nam pla, and you will like it! Open wide!

holy shit!...naam pla fascism...what next??? :)

What would you like it to be?

Not that then.

On the subject of nam pla, of course it is a vital element of pad krapow but it is also a dish where the cooks hand is often too heavy with it overwhelmingly the all important garlic and chilies (and I like nam pla). BTW, I find quite often in the cheap places they leave out the garlic. That is wrong.

Sure you can have fish with your krapow!

One adventurous evening I decided to cook krapow gai, having bought the ingredients earlier in the day. Only to find I had forgotten to take the minced chicken out of the car. I decided not to chance it with off-chicken, so I raided the pantry and fridge to see what protein/meat was available. Only canned tuna (in brine); the result was a very delicious grapow canned tuna. I have it quite often for lunch because it is ridiculously easy to cook, yummy and I think quite healthy.

Yeah I can imagine how that work work with canned tuna. Sounds OK. I eat a good bit of canned tuna western style but one time I accidentally ordered a spicy canned tuna salad in a Thai restaurant. I don't like the idea of canned tuna as a restaurant meal, but it turned out to be really delicious.

Personally Pork with a fried egg or even 2, but also like it with beef. A favourite in our ville in deepest Phetchabun is Phad Krapow Gop. Good old frog, skinned, boned and ground up, doesn't taste too bad either but, gimme pork as a preference. Call me unadventurous but never tried it with Chicken and considering I have been eating it at least 3 times a week for x years and I also love chicken, that is spooky!!