Ajarn Superhero Powerups

I found this today. Its a description of the special superhero abilities posessed by TEFL instructors in Japan. It got me to wondering, what special powers do Ajarns have in Thailand?

In 8th grade I had a teacher who used the Power Stare on individual students when one was misbehaving. Worked pretty well, even when you were used to it. She'd usually point her finger as the miscreant as well.

Do you know any Ajarns who have a bus-clearing perspiration power-up? :o

Having control in a classroom is great but from your first few examples of the "gajin smash" it would seem more like elitetisim and that's just backward thinking. Control with an iron fist tends to create more problems than it solves. Just because you "THINK" you are stronger or smarter doesn't mean you're right.

You might have a better response with a different approach.

I was in a very responsive mood when you posted that OP, until I read it. It just doesn't evoke response. It's as if we're playing games. Yes, we are playing games, but not those games.

Of course, there are lots of responses to inappropriate behavior in the classroom. But I just saw the new movie "The Incredibles," about a family of superheroes fighting supervillains. Gratuitous violence, totally unrealistic, no redeeming features - they don't seem to redeem anybody from evil, but they do lots of evil themselves.

I do sing a great version of "If I Loved You," but it doesn't make me a superhero. I kicked kids out of class once or twice, and it helped prove that I could control classroom misbehavior - but superhero? Having forgotten to wear the correct Super-Hero T-shirt that day, I just continued teaching.

Oh well.

I didn't write the linked-to page, somebody I don't know did, and I found it surfing. I just thought the concept was funny (a foreigner having special powers in a culture that are conferred on him by the locals because he's foreign). Forget the specific examples. Actually, just forget the whole thing...

Edited by jerry921