English Language Degree's

BOOKEMDANO

Wonder if anybody here could answer a question for me clarifying the difference - if there is one - between obtaining an English degree in England and one in Thailand for example?

My girlfriend assures me that an English degree is equivilant to that of any other degree in English regardless of where one studied.

I tend to disagree. However, i dont know anybody who can shed some light on this topic: maybe you can?

Is it possible that the graduates from a Thai university who studied English at a degree level, learnt a similar syllabus to that of a western university. If i approached a Thai teacher of English and asked them to draw me a time line of the English language or indeed explain to me what the difference between a Standard and Non-Standard dialect of English is?

Without the risk of sounding condescending to anyone i would be really interested (it would also win me this argument with my GF) to know what differences exist between the two types of degree's studied in Thailand and abroad.

:)

Hi Bookemdano

What kind of English degrees were you discussing (i.e. English Lit, TESOL, or something else?)

I haven't taught at universities in Thailand so I am not in a position to comment directly, but I have taught at Universities in Australia and Japan. From talking with colleagues here, I suspect that the situation is not dissimilar to that in Japan.

In general, while I often saw similar curricula, I found practices markedly different; students didn't read anywhere nearly as widely, and the analytical work was to a different standard.

This is completely understandable, after all the Japanese students were studying in a second language. However, strictly speaking I think you would be on very safe ground claiming that just about any English course in Japan ( or Thailand!) would be to a different standard from those in English speaking countries.

Perhaps your girlfriend can take comfort in the fact that Thai is studied at a much higher standard here than elsewhere J

Edited by languageexpress

I worked with over 15 experienced Thai teachers at good Thai schools, who earned Thai degrees in teaching "Thailish." 85% of them were functionally illiterate in English and taught terribly; they couldn't author an English exam or critically grade an essay. But they dressed well and ate sticky rice well.

In general, while I often saw similar curricula, I found practices markedly different; students didn’t read anywhere nearly as widely, and the analytical work was to a different standard.

Perhaps your girlfriend can take comfort in the fact that Thai is studied at a much higher standard here than elsewhere

I'd second that on both counts, having taught English for a couple of years in Thai universities. And don't get me started on the general quality of spoken English amongst Thai students.

Your girlfriend is misinformed. However, it may be true that from the point of view of many Thai employers it makes no difference. As I've frequently said on qualification-related topics, better qualifications don't usually improve the working conditions on offer for any particular job- they simply improve your chance to get a job whose specifications are already set in stone by budgets.

Hi Bookemdano

What kind of English degrees were you discussing (i.e. English Lit, TESOL, or something else?)

I was referring to an English language + literature degree

I haven't taught at universities in Thailand so I am not in a position to comment directly, but I have taught at Universities in Australia and Japan. From talking with colleagues here, I suspect that the situation is not dissimilar to that in Japan.

In general, while I often saw similar curricula, I found practices markedly different; students didn't read anywhere nearly as widely, and the analytical work was to a different standard.

Could you elaborate a little more on this?

This is completely understandable, after all the Japanese students were studying in a second language. However, strictly speaking I think you would be on very safe ground claiming that just about any English course in Japan ( or Thailand!) would be to a different standard from those in English speaking countries.

Very informative reply, you also mention some important points here too. As you mentioned English 'is' a second language to would be students or to the already graduated populace of English language degree holders here in Thailand. It would be interesting to find out if any western students studying here in Thailand who are studying English for the purpose of gaining a degree could take there qualification abroad and work in a school there? If they did/do what weight would that carry in - Europe for example or America?

Perhaps your girlfriend can take comfort in the fact that Thai is studied at a much higher standard here than elsewhere J

I totally agree and a very nice summary to end with.