Exchanging Traveller's Cheques At Banks

rsn

Can someone list some banks in Ban Dung (Si Suttho) and the city of Udon Thani where I can get good rates when I exchange my traveller's cheques? I'd like to avoid exchanging in Bangkok before my flight over.

T/Checks normally have better rates versus cash exchange at banks. The current rates will be posted around the teller window

or international exchange counters at banks. Just note that cashing travelers checks will incur a 1% service fee on the transaction

T/Checks normally have better rates versus cash exchange at banks. The current rates will be posted around the teller window

or international exchange counters at banks. Just note that cashing travelers checks will incur a 1% service fee on the transaction

I had read (on this site, in fact) that the service fee was only 33 baht per check.

Edited by rsn

The exchange rate changes sometimes as much as 8 times daily.

Kasikorn bank generally give the best rate on travellers cheques

Is it safe to say that

1. All banks in Thailand will exchange TCs?
  2. Kasikorn bank in Bangkok and Kasikorn bank in Ban Dung will have the same exchange rates on the same day? The exchange rates don't vary from branch to branch, do they?

I had read (on this site, in fact) that the service fee was only 23 baht per check.

I think it's gone up to 33 baht.

I had read (on this site, in fact) that the service fee was only 23 baht per check.

I think it's gone up to 33 baht.

Yep, just read that and edited my post. Guess I'll want bring large checks. Any idea about my other 2 questions above, by any chance?

Your mileage will vary!

I have recently changed some $ TCs, the teller at the exchange desk had not seen TCs before (such is the move toward ATMs), it took about 15-20 minutes to confirm (via phone and the guy's computer) that they would accept them and at what rate. I got 33.8 Baht per USD, and was charged 30 Baht (fee tax etc.) per TC. This was at a small SCB office. Although they took a copy of my passport and wanted a cell phone number, they weren't bothered about me counter-signing the checks.

Your mileage will vary!

I have recently changed some $ TCs, the teller at the exchange desk had not seen TCs before (such is the move toward ATMs), it took about 15-20 minutes to confirm (via phone and the guy's computer) that they would accept them and at what rate. I got 33.8 Baht per USD, and was charged 30 Baht (fee tax etc.) per TC. This was at a small SCB office. Although they took a copy of my passport and wanted a cell phone number, they weren't bothered about me counter-signing the checks.

Huh? This is supposed to be the main defence against fraud, your passport and signing the T/C's in their presence.

Only in Thailand.

You need to do a calculation of the rate for TC's versus the rate for cash.

I've found that even taking into account the handling charges for TC's you still come out with more Baht than using o/s cash.

Larger denomination cheques of course are better as you are not copping the 'per cheque' charge as much.

Many people like the safety issue of TC's vs cash and if you are in a bank scheme in your home country and get the cheques commission free at the issue end, you end up doing pretty well.

***Travelers Check USA*** ***Travellers Cheque elsewhere***