Dive Master / Instructor Training

SusieQScotland

Hi

I am hoping to pick your collective brains about Dive Master and possible Dive Instructor training in Thailand - there seem to be loads of options but I am hoping for some local knowledge to narrow the field! I already have Rescue Diver and about 300 logged dives and as things are so crap in UK (weather, economy, job opportunities) at the mo, thought I might take time out to do something fun and get some new skills.

Do you have any recommendations about good / great experiences with dive schools and where would be the best place to do this ? Any outfits I should avoid ? I'm late 30's so not that fussed about mega night life any more but would be good to meet some friendly folk and learn some Thai. Probably not a new life career, but who knows what might happen.

Thanks for your thoughts

Relative to the UK Thailand is a great place to dive. BB divers has a good intern program for continuing dive education. They are on Koh Chang. If you enter. BB diver koh chang Thailand on google, you should see their web page.

I am sure there are many other quality dive centers, this is the one I am familiar with, however.

Unless you have an interest in teaching diving as a vocation, I don't know why you would spend so much money on more certificates. It sounds as though you have plenty of training and experience and training already. With so many dive schools turning out instructors, the prospects for teaching SCUBA and making, money is extremely competitive.

Consider coming to Thailand and diving and just enjoying yourself.

Edited by rucus7

Many options in Thailand.

If you want to do IDC + DM, do that in the same place (IDC Center), that will be cheaper than in 2 places. I can recommend Seafun Divers on Phuket for that, IMO the best CD on the island.

If you want to do only your DM there are many more options with different approaches. I can give you more information by PM, send me one if you want.

Internships are offered by many dive centres, the packages offered may differ as well as prices so I would do your reserch contact as many dive centres as posible, get prices and package deals, ask questions like what is included, i.e. accomodation, food, equipment, training, boats, location and dive sites.

Then make a short list of of a few, come out to Thailand for a few weeks and get a few dives with a few different dive centres in about 3 diferent locations and get the feel and actually see what you would actually be getting for your money.

Would sujest try out Koh Samui, Phuket & Pattaya. all these locations are very diferent so a trip out before you commit yourself may save you a lot or ending up somwhere you just could not stand.

For Patttaya Mermaids is the bigest "English" speaking center with 4 boats.

The diving in Samui and Pattaya is not anywhere near the quality and diversity of the diving around Phuket.

There is no diving in Samui but the diving in Koh Tao is a lot better than the diving around Phuket in my opinion. Also the diving in Phuket is also only 6 months of the year whereas you can dive all year round in Tao. The dive sites are close to the island as well so you can dive 4-5 times a day. It is probably cheaper to do your DM and IDC IE there as well. :)

the diving in Koh Tao is a lot better than the diving around Phuket in my opinion.
Don't agree with you there, and nearly nobody will agree with you. But there's always exceptions.
Also the diving in Phuket is also only 6 months of the year whereas you can dive all year round in Tao.
Not true, diving from Phuket is year round.
The dive sites are close to the island as well so you can dive 4-5 times a day. It is probably cheaper to do your DM and IDC IE there as well. :)
Yes, agree with these 2 statements. Edited by stevenl

The diving in Samui and Pattaya is not anywhere near the quality and diversity of the diving around Phuket.

There is no diving in Samui but the diving in Koh Tao is a lot better than the diving around Phuket in my opinion. Also the diving in Phuket is also only 6 months of the year whereas you can dive all year round in Tao. The dive sites are close to the island as well so you can dive 4-5 times a day. It is probably cheaper to do your DM and IDC IE there as well. :)

Must echo stevenl's comments. You may be thinking about live-a-board diving out of Phuket and Khao Lak to The Similans and Burma Banks, (even better diving) which is only November through April due to the wind direction making the seas dangerous, but day trip boats operate year round in the more protected areas, unless I imagined all those years tour leading and teaching in the low season! In fact some of the best visibility and calmest seas I ever saw was right in the middle of monsoon season.

It is common knowledge that if there are no Whale Sharks at Koh Tao, it's shit. Of course the DM IDC and IE are going to be cheaper there with crap diving and no facilities.

And there is diving in Samui, it's just crap like we said:

post-70760-1260508735_thumb.png

Must echo stevenl's comments. You may be thinking about live-a-board diving out of Phuket and Khao Lak to The Similans and Burma Banks, (even better diving) which is only November through April due to the wind direction making the seas dangerous, but day trip boats operate year round in the more protected areas, unless I imagined all those years tour leading and teaching in the low season! In fact some of the best visibility and calmest seas I ever saw was right in the middle of monsoon season.

It is common knowledge that if there are no Whale Sharks at Koh Tao, it's shit. Of course the DM IDC and IE are going to be cheaper there with crap diving and no facilities.

For a Biddha you use strange language.

Don't you think that in general that as members working in the Thai dive industry we should promote diving in Thailand rather than dissing it the way you do? Have you ever dived in the Gulf at all, since some of those nay sayers don't even have experience in diving in the Gulf? Maybe the dive sites aren't overall as good as in the Andaman Sea but shit and crap are definately not words that spring to mind after almost having done 2000 dives in the Gulf. Ever dived Sail Rock at all?

Koh Tao is one of the biggest certification areas in the world, it wouldn't be this big if the diving would be that crap or shit as you state it is, since word will get around. Maybe next time you post on any Thai related diving forum you can have a more constructive input about diving in Thailand.

For a Biddha you use strange language.

Don't you think that in general that as members working in the Thai dive industry we should promote diving in Thailand rather than dissing it the way you do? Have you ever dived in the Gulf at all, since some of those nay sayers don't even have experience in diving in the Gulf? Maybe the dive sites aren't overall as good as in the Andaman Sea but shit and crap are definately not words that spring to mind after almost having done 2000 dives in the Gulf. Ever dived Sail Rock at all?

Koh Tao is one of the biggest certification areas in the world, it wouldn't be this big if the diving would be that crap or shit as you state it is, since word will get around. Maybe next time you post on any Thai related diving forum you can have a more constructive input about diving in Thailand.

Sorry I am on the side of truth, not on the side of false advertising. And I am promoting diving in Thailand, I just think it's way better in Phuket, Phi Phi, the Similans etc. And that's because it is. Maybe I was a bit harsh, I admit, but I have dived in Tao before, granted only twice, and Pattaya as well, and I probably didn't see the best spots, but my words echo what most of us that live and dive here in Thailand think. I would describe it as "very disappointing as there wasn't much fish life or coral." Is that better? When I used c and s words to describe gulf diving, I was actually quoting some instructors I recently talked to that live and work in Samui and Tao!! For example, one said, "Chumphon Pinnacles are crap if there are no Whale Sharks." Chumphon Pinnacles is supposed to be one of the premier dive sites at Tao!

Maybe I am bitter because I had two bad experiences with dive shops in Tao. I had come to Tao specifically to dive Chumphon Pinnacles, and signed up for said trip with Crystal Dive Resort, but after the boat was underway, I was informed that we weren't going there, but instead we went to Koh Nang Yuan/Green Rock/Red Rock because they had an open water course on board. I didn't appreciate being lied to, and I'm sorry but the dives were indeed crap. It was as if someone ran a bulldozer over what used to be beautiful reefs, like the reef had been destroyed by dynamite fishing. I felt sad for people that thought this is what tropical diving was. Top side scenery can't be beat though.

The second bad experience I had was with Ban's Diving. They operate or operated one of the high speed "VIP" ferry's to the mainland. I paid extra for the faster more comfortable ferry with a restaurant/snackbar on board. When it was time to go, all us hapless tourists were packed onto crowded speed boats. Nothing was mentioned about the ferry. I thought we must be taking the speedboat to the ferry, but no. After several minutes it was clear there was no VIP ferry. So for the hour we bounced along unable to speak over the din of the screaming dual outboards, feeling nauseous at the fumes from the fuel tanks as the cigarette smoking boat boy moved the fuel line from one fuel tank to the next. (I'm not kidding, he was actually smoking as he handled the fuel) We neared shore and it looked as though our trip was coming to an end a full 30 minutes sooner than the VIP was scheduled to arrive. Then we ran out of gas, which was odd to me because we already had some empty gas tanks when we started out. With the luggage piled down the center of the boat, there was hardly a place to even stand up. We sat there bobbing for over 45 minutes in the blistering sun. No shelter, no toilets, no water. Some tourists started voicing their concerns with the captain. The captain suddenly lost his ability to speak or understand English. (Smart move) Things were falling apart quickly. The Thai's of course took it all blissfully in stride. Just another day in Thailand for them. When I didn't think it could get any worse, the storm clouds came and drenched us with torrential rain. I was trying to determine the distance to shore and if I should don my scuba gear and swim for it. My luggage was all wet now anyway. Feeling a bit desperate, and quite honestly a bit concerned, I attempted to call the tourist police 1155. Of course there was no one there that spoke English. Anyway, another speed boat arrived then with gas and after another 20 minutes we were at the dock almost at the scheduled time.

This was my experience with just 2 dives in Tao. I have over 500 in Phuket, and these things are simply less likely to happen here, (well, except for Dive Asia's boat capsizing) at least not with the companies and professionals I have worked for and with anyway.

When I was in Tao they didn't have electricity most of the time. I assume that has changed for the better?

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Buddha,

Don't you think it's better to form your own opinion rather than copy what other people say? With two dives on your belt on Koh Tao and some hear say your reaction inmho was abit over the top. Have you ever dived in Europe, in cold dark water and you're happy if you see one fish during 45 minutes? Please explain how you would rate such a dive.

It's unfortunate to hear your bad experiences on Koh Tao, that's not good and shamefull from both operators the way they handled situations. This should however not influence your view on local dive sites.

Regarding Chumpon Pinnacle, I don't rate it as good as Sail Rock but there are a few bull sharks, rather big ones as well, and they aren't to be seen anywhere else in Thailand in that frequency.

Koh Tao has always had electricity problems and t doesn't look that they will disappear in the enar future although now there's the very expensive option for non government electricity, which most smaller resorts can't afford.

Agree with you that the wording used by SB may be over the top.

But I thought we were here to give honest opinions, but apparently this site is meant to promote diving in Thailand?

Steve, this is an ongoing thing with Phuket based divers, in my opinion we're better off promoting the Thai dive industry in general rather than dissing certain areas. Gulf diving is not that bad as generally described by some divers from your side of Thailand and Buddha was indeed ott with his remarks and especially considering the amount of exprience that he has diving in the Gulf.

That's obviously just my humble opinion.

I can enjoy a low viz dive with loads of small critters as much as adive in 30 meters viz with loads of bigger fish. I like diving in general and good viz is nice and appreciated but not a must to rate a dive good or bad. It's what you make out of it.

Edited by limbos

Don't you think it's better to form your own opinion rather than copy what other people say?

Not if it appears to be an almost complete consensus, but both gulf based and Andaman based divers, and my own brief experiences back it up, even if only 2 dives. And as for the qoute, I just gave one example of what someone told me last week, but I have held this view for years based also on many people I trust. If I tell people Gulf diving is just fantastic, then it's my reputation that gets tarnished. Maybe I will try Sail Rock and have my opinion changed. I am always open to amending my position if the facts warrant it.

In defense of Koh Tao diving: I think your friend was too negative about Chumpon Pinnacle. Together with Sail Rock those 2 sites are worth diving in the area, on par with e.g. Shark Point or Racha Noi.

But also IMO those are the only 2 sites on par with some of the daytrip sites in the Phi Phi/Krabi/Phuket area, the other sites in the Koh Tao area are less, and in the Andaman area sites like Similans etc. and Hin Daeng/Muang are a class better.

In defense of Koh Tao diving: I think your friend was too negative about Chumpon Pinnacle. Together with Sail Rock those 2 sites are worth diving in the area, on par with e.g. Shark Point or Racha Noi.

But also IMO those are the only 2 sites on par with some of the daytrip sites in the Phi Phi/Krabi/Phuket area, the other sites in the Koh Tao area are less, and in the Andaman area sites like Similans etc. and Hin Daeng/Muang are a class better.

Noted. Maybe I will consider diving there again on my next business trip there, if I can get on free. :)