Does This Sound Right?

KAteGoGo

I am in negotiation w/ a private school that has offered 50T+ apartment, located just outside Bangkok. After reading some posts, it seems too good to be true. This school is in process of becoming international, but is already advertising as one. I have a BA, California teaching credential, and 10 years experience, but not sure of the value of these since this is first interview. Should I jump?

Right now, the market place is full of applicants for teaching positions, so it's an employers market. Whether this will be true in a few months or not remains to be seen. The full benefit packages of many schools is offer are available to overseas hired schools that are accredited by a specific country. A number of schools put 'international' in their name, but don't fall into the same category and the salaries are less.

So, it's up to you. The offer may not be good, but it's not bad.

I agree. If you are a certified teacher with 10 years of experience, you could be making a lot more than that, with more benefits (airfare, health insurance, shipping costs, etc.). But, it's not always a quick or easy process to get those jobs. If you're just wanting to come to Bangkok now to have fun and see a new place, then it might be a good job. If you want to make/save money, you could look for a different type of job, but it might not happen right away.

Most of the advice on this thread is pretty good; though I would argue that for well-qualified, native-speaking, experienced teachers it is (and always has been) an employees' market in Thailand- there just aren't that many who fit all three. In your case, you will be getting grossly underpaid, especially if (as your membername implies) you are a woman. If I were you, I would go through the official channels to seek a job with one of the true international schools- though the openings may be few right now- and wait for a job that will pay you the going international school rates (120K+ and great benefits). If that's not sufficient, at the very least you should be looking for the 80K+ range in the non-true international schools. A school offering 50K in Bangkok doesn't even come close to paying market rate for your credentials.

Actually, right now is THE time you want to be looking into jobs at the international schools! The positions don't start until next July, but if you wait until March or April to apply, it will probably be too late. The recruitment process is just getting underway for the 2010-2011 school year.

As others said. This might be OK as a jumping point if you were in a different province where things are cheaper.

It might not hurt to keep them in mind as you search for better, but all in all your credentials demand a better salary.

On a side note, one thing I learned was that I was happier with a smaller salary because where I worked gave me more freedoms, less hours, and generally made me happier than some other places offering more. If you can get people's opinions on schools.

Good luck!

Yes, if you are a female you will are rare and welcomed treat for most schools. Please let us know if you are getting the advise you need and what you are wanting to teach and anything else that might be pertinent. Perhaps some people can give you more specific guidance.

Thus far it sounds like 50,000 Baht is the minimum you should be looking at and you might command a lot more. Do you have time to wait around for a better offer, or are you in a hurry to a job?

I agree. If you are a certified teacher with 10 years of experience, you could be making a lot more than that, with more benefits (airfare, health insurance, shipping costs, etc.). But, it's not always a quick or easy process to get those jobs. If you're just wanting to come to Bangkok now to have fun and see a new place, then it might be a good job. If you want to make/save money, you could look for a different type of job, but it might not happen right away.

Yes, it's worth looking at the benefits on offer in addition to monthly salary. You've mentioned accommodation. What about tax assistance, sick leave, attendance incentives, annual increments, performance increments, etc? These can add a lot of value to a fairly average monthly wage.

Also worth looking at things like number of foreigners on staff. Are the representational and role-modelling jobs going to fall on you and a few other Caucasians or will they be spread around among a larger group? Does there seem to be a good core of returning teachers, or do they turn over every year?

Going beyond your original query, I suppose, but these questions seem valid to me.